PDA

View Full Version : QUICK STARVIEW4 USB REVIEW

portbhoy
16th September, 2008, 06:27 PM
Right quick initial findings, scans really quickly and seems to find all tp's. EPG I'm getting is around 18 hours some may be different as before, now and next working fine. Recording (on usb stick for quickness) was spot on no jumping or freezing, as ever tuner copes well with low signal as the cable in my room is at the end of a really long line that's been split to death, 41% sig strength 99% quality though according to readings. like the blue OSD but I never got the super so that may be the same as before and the way it auto sorts into catergories. As said before it's the easiest box I've ever updated with the possible exception of my TM9100 using SD card. One thing bothers me though, how will we do a recovery flash if it all goes Pete Tong? You can do a channel data backup with a few presses of the button and there is also an option for code backup, dont know why you would need that though. All other menus seem to be similar to other Starviews as are passwords so I cant see any previous owners losing their way. Hope this helps when your chosing a box :scarf2:

bazfresh
22nd September, 2008, 01:17 PM
Cheers mate, got my mind set on one of these thanks for info

pantha007
24th September, 2008, 12:13 PM
many thanks will be getting one of these :D

satsmo
24th September, 2008, 12:30 PM
Firmware is still Beta and you can only record what you are watching, unlike the Eurovox EX5000, (similar single tuner PVR but you have the limited ability of been able to watch/record different channels but on the same TP).

No timer as of yet in the Beta version. EPG and record facilities sometimes need to be rebooted to work. But as said its a nice box and hopefully a non Beta version of firmware will make it even better.

ACR
10th October, 2008, 09:09 AM
Just got the box, what is the best way to update the firmware...sorry, but a novice at this!:hmmmm2:

bazfresh
10th October, 2008, 12:16 PM
via memory stick plugged into usb port on back of box

young
12th October, 2008, 08:51 PM
To load the files just drag them on to a memory stick and then put the memory stick in the USB port
at the back of the receiver. Then press the menu button on the remote there you will see USB
at the bottom of the screen. Just highlight USB with the remote then you will see the
(Box Super USB Bin file) appear on the screen. Highlight the Box Super USB Bin File with the
remote and press th ok button then you will see the file start loading in to the Box.

After you have uploaded the software from your memory stick,

loch lubnaig
12th October, 2008, 09:32 PM
just got one of these,the box does exactly what it says on the tin, eh !! you know what i mean.

ACR
13th October, 2008, 08:23 AM
thanks to all those who responded...box working well now with firmware 102.ACR:):)

southpaw83
13th October, 2008, 08:39 PM
thanks to all those who responded...box working well now with firmware 102.ACR:):)

Can programmes be recorded from the EPG on a timer?

southpaw83
13th October, 2008, 08:39 PM
I take it this can record to a portable hard drive instead of a USB stick?

ACR
14th October, 2008, 08:54 AM
Hi Southpaw, haven't tried it yet, I will play at the weekend at let you know..ACR

satsmo
14th October, 2008, 10:15 AM
I take it this can record to a portable hard drive instead of a USB stick?

Yes you can, maximum it has been tested to is 300GB. I use a 250GB WD Passport HDD. Recording quality is excellent. Firmware, MPEG Players, etc can be found here http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/downloads/starview/23/startup-pack-box-super-usb-324/

BTW as said on page one there is no record timer as of yet in this firmware revision.

dugsoft
18th October, 2008, 04:15 PM
looking for these files to update my box, but don't have access to the download page..

vrlika
24th October, 2008, 10:45 PM
I think you need to have so many posts until you are allowed to download but there is someone on this forum that can sort you out;)

satsmo
25th October, 2008, 01:20 AM
You can download after you have made a post. And how are you getting on with the SV4? Nice to see you here vrlika http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/8399/thumbsup4kk.gif

vrlika
25th October, 2008, 11:42 AM
Thanx for having me here. Very good forum in did.Still waiting till thursday cant wait.

cheers

jez937
25th October, 2008, 08:47 PM
Is there any order that the firmware has to be installed or can I just go for the latest version?

loch lubnaig
27th October, 2008, 09:54 PM
Great box,only one small thing though,on certain channels the picture is correct for my region but the epg is for ireland any thoughts ?

satsmo
28th October, 2008, 12:47 AM
Sorry not quite sure what you mean, when you say the EPG is for Ireland?

swiftstyles
28th October, 2008, 11:52 AM
Is this box official or a clone? all i seem to find is chinese sellers, thanks

satsmo
28th October, 2008, 07:54 PM
Official, well not cloned yet.

portbhoy
28th October, 2008, 08:08 PM
Wont be long though :hmmmm:

satsmo
28th October, 2008, 08:13 PM
Quite a few differences on the SV4 compared to other SVs as they were very similar in hardware make up and eeprom. Although as you say they can clone anything that will make them a few quid.

knocker
1st November, 2008, 07:23 PM
hi all new to all this .i have just ordered the starview 4 have i done the right thing .will i need the software to use the box via usb
cheers knocker

iceman
3rd November, 2008, 01:34 PM
im afraid it is cloned now , just got back from shenzhen doing a factory visit and its cloned , 75 usd (without shipping )

satsmo
3rd November, 2008, 03:02 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum. Bold statement for your first post, however they never take long and I have seen their adverts. Why were you visiting the factory?

iceman
3rd November, 2008, 03:56 PM
sorry my bad wording , it wasnt there factory i was visiting it was a factory i deal with for other products i import, but while there i always have a nose around and thats when i saw the starview4 usb

satsmo
3rd November, 2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks for that. I have known of them for a while, but have never had the opportunity to pay them a visit. I heard they have quite a substantial operation in regards to cloning all STBs not just the SV.

iceman
3rd November, 2008, 04:14 PM
shenzhen - PIRATE CAPITAL OF THE WORLD

kaizersoze
7th November, 2008, 07:50 PM
Newbie here..just got the new starview 4 this afternoon and will be looking for all your help and advice..great site

trampd1
7th November, 2008, 09:33 PM
Brilliant posts - keep up the good work!!!

TrAmp

azrael69
8th November, 2008, 08:32 AM
Hi everyone, looking at buying one of these today after reading thru the posts.

The prices are fairly uniform on the sites I've seen selling them.

Can anyone point me on the direction of a seller who is for sure not selling clones?

Many thanks

satsmo
8th November, 2008, 03:51 PM
Google wizardsattellites they are the main importers.

gordonnelson
14th November, 2008, 02:30 PM
does any one know when the non beta version will be with us ?

kyle2211
15th November, 2008, 01:42 AM
i had the sv2 but only just upgraded to an sv4, the difference is there to see, i am a total novice but updated it easily enough. SV4 but with better firmware and maybes a recording timer would be brilliant, well worth a pop!:thrasher:

APCov
22nd November, 2008, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the info, will look at investing in one of these soon and put some additional info.

Thanks
A

satboy
25th November, 2008, 12:13 AM
:shot:just wondering if anyone has managed to get the digi text for bbc or itv or even sky working on this box?

Handy for news and sporty fixtures list etc...I know, some people aka me, are never happy ;)

mimicomm
18th February, 2009, 06:25 PM
hi satsmo. i am mimicomm and am new here. I've bought myself Starview4 The Box and am wondering where can I get 1.02 firmware since my 1.03 originally pre-installed one does not alllow me to access hidden menu. Can you please help?

satsmo
18th February, 2009, 06:27 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum. Things have updated somewhat since, you need 1.07 http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f83/box-super-usb-v1-07-22-12-08-a-19539/

KarbonPhyba
19th February, 2009, 12:28 AM
Just a quick note - not sure if it's been mentioned; using firmware v1.07 I've been able to mark various programmes at different times on different channels in the EPG for recording and it's recorded them.

The only downside to EPG recording in my experience is it can take 20-30 seconds for the recording to start and if you happen to be watching the channel when the recording starts then it'll blank the screen, but, continues to record the programme.

However, if you perform an instant record then you can view the same channel whilst recording without delay writing to media.

Hope this helps someone.

All the best. KP.

salloos
19th February, 2009, 04:29 PM
Hi,

I am new to this forum and just bought the SV4. I cant seem to download the files that are required to be loaded on teh box. Can anyone tell me how can i download tem from this forum?

Harry66
19th February, 2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks for info

chambers65
31st March, 2009, 05:03 PM
how long does it take to update data on initial set up

camelv
31st March, 2009, 05:08 PM
Hi,

I am new to this forum and just bought the SV4. I cant seem to download the files that are required to be loaded on teh box. Can anyone tell me how can i download tem from this forum?

wait about 15 mins m8 then try again.
you may want to read this.

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f83/its-here-idiots-guide-starview-4-initial-setup-30784/?highlight=idiots+guide

mike smiley
10th August, 2009, 01:28 PM
make @ least 5 posts and every other thing or prob shall be simple..it u belive... :proud:

jonty250
22nd September, 2009, 12:53 PM
Thanx satsmo worked fine jonty 250