PDA

View Full Version : Guide: Flash and Backup an Image via Telnet

Devilfish
26th March, 2008, 10:30 PM
Telnet Commands

To flash an image using Telnet

This method will only work with a .img image file.
Rename the image file to backup.img
FTP the image file to the /tmp folder on the dreambox
Telnet to your box and paste the following command:

cd /tmp && eraseall /dev/mtd/3 && cp backup.img /dev/mtd/3 && reboot

To telnet, click START > RUN and type Telnet ip.address.of.dreambox
A command window will appear, enter username root and password dreambox.

To backup an image using Telnet

Telnet to the box and paste the following command:

cat /dev/mtd/3 > /tmp/backup.img

FTP to the box and navigate to the /tmp
Here you will find the backup.img file.

dechef
9th April, 2008, 01:59 AM
i did the following: click START > RUN and type Telnet ip.address.of.dreambox. But nothing happens!!

mpmaho2
9th April, 2008, 12:50 PM
Wish I checked out this forum sooner. ould have saved myself a lot of frustration

mpmaho2
9th April, 2008, 02:13 PM
Now I get it.
Put .exe after telnet, eg telnet.exe

mpmaho2
9th April, 2008, 02:43 PM
Guys, Help.

Just done the following:

Dowloaded the DW 2.0 image
Renamed to backup.img
Placed in tmp folder

Then followed the instructions below.

Code:

My dreambox has now gone from terminally ill to deceased.

Powered up and nothing, no menu, graphic, not even a flicker. Just a very troubling black screen. I have now lost the connection to my laptop also.

Crap, my mate won't be pleased. Although it's his own fault for randomly pushing buttons after the NTL blackout.

thommo
9th April, 2008, 03:10 PM
Guys, Help.

Just done the following:

Dowloaded the DW 2.0 image
Renamed to backup.img
Placed in tmp folder

Then followed the instructions below.

Code:

My dreambox has now gone from terminally ill to deceased.

Powered up and nothing, no menu, graphic, not even a flicker. Just a very troubling black screen. I have now lost the connection to my laptop also.

Crap, my mate won't be pleased. Although it's his own fault for randomly pushing buttons after the NTL blackout.

you may have created more problems than solved m8, if its a bad flash you,ll need a null modem cable and dreamup software to rescue the box.

it will flash a new image to the box safely, i always use the null lead to send images to mine, it takes longer but is safer and you can rescue it if it goes tits up.

hopefully you already have a null modem cable at home, if so plug it in your pc and box and use dreamup software to send the image to the box.

for people who are not into telnet and fxp it is the easiest way to go.

start software select com port1 click connect, plug box in(power) then flash image, simple no going wrong but it takes a bit longer than the other ways.

mpmaho2
9th April, 2008, 03:18 PM
It's not quite a paper weight just yet then?
Better nip out to PC world then. Local PC shop doesn't have the right cable, or informed staff for that matter. They asked "what's a null modem cable?"

allycoops
9th April, 2008, 03:19 PM
maplins will be cheaper.

wait till one of the guys say this is the correct one before buying

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97740&criteria=null%20modem%20cable&doy=9m4

mpmaho2
9th April, 2008, 03:34 PM
Just checked my pc. I don't have a 9 pin serial port. Will this 25 pin male to 9 pin female do the job?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=97737&doy=9m4

Devilfish
9th April, 2008, 04:30 PM
I'm not 100% sure if that 25 pin - 9pin will work, never tried it before.

You will need to find an old PC or laptop with a com port or you can get a USB to Serial adapter.

Remember that you need to have an established connection between your dreambox and PC before telnet will connect.

You do not need to put .exe at the end. If it doesn't do anything, the connection between the PC and dreambox isn't right, i.e. you're not using a crossover ethernet cable (not the same as a standard ethernet cable) or your IP addresses are not correct.

mpmaho2
10th April, 2008, 01:42 PM
I bit the bullet yesterday and drove through rush hour to get to Maplins. Worth the trip. A vast array of null modem cables clearly labelled, and just inside the door of the shop. Had been to PC world earlier.....useless.
Anyway flashed the DW 2.0 image with ease at the first attempt. So much easier than the ethernet method. Wish I hopped in the car sooner. All is rosey in the dreambox garden again, not that my mate will even understand the torture I went through to undo his random button bashing.

Now I just need the new keys for Dublin. Will have a look around the forum for updates.

Cheers for your help dude.

dunryc
12th April, 2008, 04:02 PM
you could always make you own null modem cable or " impovose one " by hacking whatever cables you already have in the house :idea:

http://www.doom9.org/DigiTV/images/dreambox/Null_%20Modem.gif

fcuk
12th April, 2008, 08:15 PM
Is this the same for the DB 500c?

dunryc
13th April, 2008, 11:05 AM
@fcuk i flash my db 500 c with my old dbox2 null modem cable so yes mates

Ciaran500
13th April, 2008, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the guide Kaos. Saved me having to drag out the old PC with a serial port to flash my friends box with some bastardised version of Enigma on it.

biju007
13th April, 2008, 04:20 PM
can i user it through router

C64
13th April, 2008, 04:31 PM
can i user it through router

Yes mate, a router will be fine to use.

dublindave
17th April, 2008, 11:52 PM
Telnet Commands

Hi, I'm planning to backup my patched & working image and found ur post. I read that there is very little free space on a 500c, so I was wondering how could a 5/7mb backup image fit onto the 500c in the /tmp folder?

Devilfish
18th April, 2008, 12:13 AM
The /tmp folder is a separate memory location that /var.

There are 3 locations...

/var - this is the writeable section.
/tmp - this is a separate memory location.
the rest - this is a read-only section.

tinbox11
18th April, 2008, 08:53 PM
would there be enough memory to store the backup image?
I checked on the box it suggetsed /var only has 80k left while the rest is 100% full. you can use the command to check how much memory is free; free under the telnet screen.

tinbox11
18th April, 2008, 08:55 PM
I found using null modem is the sure way to flash image, while ehternet is fast but as the falsh working its way you loose the connectivity, hence not a complete flash. At least I had failed twice using such method and null modem works all the time.

did anyone get null modem flash speed higher than 10kb/s?

CyberBob
23rd April, 2008, 10:11 PM
Do you still need a crossover ethernet cable if you are connecting through a network switch.

Devilfish
23rd April, 2008, 10:19 PM
No. If you're using a switch/hub/router you can use a patch or standard ethernet cable.

Although most modern routers will work with a crossover cable too.

CyberBob
24th April, 2008, 01:28 AM

Telnet to the box and paste the following command:cat /dev/mtd/3 > /tmp/backup.img

I did this and the image is there as promised but when I try to copy the image to my PC my FTP client closes the connection without transfering the file.
I would like to keep a copy of the original image even if I cant identify it.
The telnet says BusyBox v1.01 but since I am using the dreambox manager suite v2 I am not sure if this is my image id or if it is the telnet client id.

Devilfish
24th April, 2008, 02:04 AM
It could be your ethernet cable that's fault or the ftp program that doesn't like something.

Reboot the PC and the dreambox and try again.

Remember, anything in /tmp is lost when the box is powered off or rebooted so you'll need to paste the backup telnet command again.

I wouldn't bother with any 3rd party dreambox program. Use a proper ftp client and you'll get much better results. I use CuteFTP but FlashFXP is also good. Or use internet explorer. ;)

Put this into your address bar of IE or Firefox...

ftp://192.168.1.101

(replace the ip address with your own dreambox ip address)

Navigate to /tmp and drag the .img file out like any other windows explorer window.

CyberBob
24th April, 2008, 02:42 AM
It could be your ethernet cable that's fault or the ftp program that doesn't like something.

Reboot the PC and the dreambox and try again.

Remember, anything in /tmp is lost when the box is powered off or rebooted so you'll need to paste the backup telnet command again.

I wouldn't bother with any 3rd party dreambox program. Use a proper ftp client and you'll get much better results. I use CuteFTP but FlashFXP is also good. Or use internet explorer. ;)

Put this into your address bar of IE or Firefox...

ftp://192.168.1.101

(replace the ip address with your own dreambox ip address)

Navigate to /tmp and drag the .img file out like any other windows explorer window.

I was using cute FTP and on other operations like copying keylist files or the updated roms it was doing just fine but had no joy copying the image from the dreambox to my pc.

also I tried flashing the dw2image onto my box using telnet but it stopped the process after deleting all the files from the box and could not find the image in the tmp folder as it no longer existed.
now the box is dead and it looks like I am going to have to get a null modem cable and use dreamup as many people recommend.
This is not a complaint just information,and I am still grateful for all the help I have recieved up till now.

Devilfish
24th April, 2008, 05:35 AM
When you issue a telnet command, there's no error checking, it does what you tell it to do so you need to be careful.

Also make sure the image name, i.e. backup.img, is the same in the command and the actual file.

At the point where it errored that you hadn't copied the file across, you could have still copied it to the box and issued the command again. All it had done was erase the flash, you still had control of the box. Not to worry, dreamup will defo sort it out for you.

CyberBob
24th April, 2008, 11:14 PM
When you issue a telnet command, there's no error checking, it does what you tell it to do so you need to be careful.

Also make sure the image name, i.e. backup.img, is the same in the command and the actual file.

At the point where it errored that you hadn't copied the file across, you could have still copied it to the box and issued the command again. All it had done was erase the flash, you still had control of the box. Not to worry, dreamup will defo sort it out for you.

DreamUp did sort me out and I have flashed the dw2 image onto my box.I guess losing everything on the box is the cost of using unfamiliar software.
On the up side dreamup was so simple to use that losing the contents of the flash are less of a fear for me now.(confidence is high).Still I obviously have a lot to learn.
Thanks for all your help Kaos.

click
30th April, 2008, 12:31 AM
I'm not 100% sure if that 25 pin - 9pin will work, never tried it before.

You will need to find an old PC or laptop with a com port or you can get a USB to Serial adapter.

Remember that you need to have an established connection between your dreambox and PC before telnet will connect.

You do not need to put .exe at the end. If it doesn't do anything, the connection between the PC and dreambox isn't right, i.e. you're not using a crossover ethernet cable (not the same as a standard ethernet cable) or your IP addresses are not correct.
hi many thanks for the info i will try to understend all of this
bye for now

uskuz
9th May, 2008, 08:12 AM
How could be made to download image from internet, and restore it with a script?, main problem is to get the image downloaded and know it is 5 - 6 mb image and not not page found, downloaded by wget to /tmp/imageupdate.img for example.

Sometimes i try to get a file with wget i get that it can?t connect to server.

Thanks

badaas
17th May, 2008, 01:26 PM
excellent stuff, first time for me updating dm500c since buying it, stable system :)

Ma24
28th May, 2008, 02:34 AM
you may have created more problems than solved m8, if its a bad flash you,ll need a null modem cable and dreamup software to rescue the box.

it will flash a new image to the box safely, i always use the null lead to send images to mine, it takes longer but is safer and you can rescue it if it goes tits up.

hopefully you already have a null modem cable at home, if so plug it in your pc and box and use dreamup software to send the image to the box.

start software select com port1 click connect, plug box in(power) then flash image, simple no going wrong but it takes a bit longer than the other ways. What should you do when it goes belly up?

alliv
6th July, 2008, 02:46 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well i had the 600 working on cli image and wanted to try a different one ,dreamup would not flash. [useing laptop / vista and comport converter ] so i thaught i,d do it as you suggested with telenet. ie
mount -o remount,rw /boot
rm -f /boot/*
reboot
used putty program to do this. i had ip set on the box and i could telenet to the box before this. after putting in the command mount -o remount,rw /boot
rm -f /boot/*
reboot the box went off and came on with red light flashinrg and the odd green flashing light every now and again. now i.m stuck,any idea,s m8? thanks for the reply.also tried restarting the box with power button held down , still no joy.???????

Celtictiger
7th July, 2008, 07:23 PM
I am doing a friend a favour by trying to get his DBox up and running, and wondering do the telnet commands that are detailed on this thread work on a dbox.
I have been using this method for my 500c and have never had a problem, so I was hoping I could flash a image using this telnet method for the DBox.
Also I know it is doubtful, but is it possible to flash DK1 image on a DBox or is this image specific to dreambox

bajan2nv
10th July, 2008, 05:22 PM
is it easier to use telnet dcc or dreaup?

mattwills71187
11th August, 2008, 09:56 AM
just wondering if you backup the image off one dream box is it possible to copy it over to another box so there running on the same flash software

smokey_jnr
12th September, 2008, 01:14 PM

start software select com port1 click connect, plug box in(power) then flash image, simple no going wrong but it takes a bit longer than the other ways.

my box won't allow you to click on to flash as it is greyed out.. what am i doing wrong...?

carlowchris
2nd November, 2008, 10:46 PM
followed your instructions to the letter and my box is useless now,i've only a green light on the front,nothing else but a black screen,no menu's or welcome screen,channels or anything,any ideas?????????how can i rescue this now?????????????

Ginkman
3rd January, 2009, 11:48 AM
is there a similar way to use telnet to make a .nfi backup image for a 600....

dingboy9
6th January, 2009, 04:54 PM
Having problems with Dreambox tools v3
When I run universal dreamup I get an error "there is something alive with IP 192.168.xxx.xxx in your network that is not a dreambox. Dreamup may not work properly"

Any ideas?

blowfishcable
30th January, 2009, 10:48 AM
hope this above will work for me.

mpikguru
2nd February, 2009, 09:28 PM
thanks !!!!!guys!!very helpful if you dont have dreamup!!!!

ronlkh
17th February, 2009, 08:18 AM
Hi, Will this command work for image backup from Dreamup?

godsakes
21st February, 2009, 01:15 PM
oh god...

i renamed the image wrong when i ftped it - i typed in the command and it got as far as erasing but stopped when it couldn't find a matching image file

i then repeated the command and get the error message:

"cp: unable to open '/dev.mt/3': no such file or directory"

what should i do?

edit:

nevermind i restarted my telnet client and redid the commands - which seems to have done the job

numberonekiwi
25th February, 2009, 02:09 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well i had the 600 working on cli image and wanted to try a different one ,dreamup would not flash. [useing laptop / vista and comport converter ] so i thaught i,d do it as you suggested with telenet. ie
mount -o remount,rw /boot
rm -f /boot/*
reboot
used putty program to do this. i had ip set on the box and i could telenet to the box before this. after putting in the command mount -o remount,rw /boot
rm -f /boot/*
reboot the box went off and came on with red light flashinrg and the odd green flashing light every now and again. now i.m stuck,any idea,s m8? thanks for the reply.also tried restarting the box with power button held down , still no joy.???????

n osx
Ok first time poster here but this looks like you erased your boot loader very smilar command in osx rm -rf / will delete every thing /boot would this not be the bootloader use jtag to reprogram ?

daz__
6th March, 2009, 06:33 AM
Thank you all for all the information you have supplied.. I think I have enough posts and all the information i need to get this to work for me..

I am so happy to have found digital kaos..
One thing I am finding out here is you can learn a whole lot by reading$
peace

daz:wink:

betagamma
22nd April, 2009, 10:50 PM
I own a DM600.
I downloaded the latest gemini-460-dm600pvr-200812192032.nfi.zip
I unzip it, renamed to backup.img and uploaded in DM600/tmp

I run the command:

root@dm600pvr:/# cd /tmp && eraseall /dev/mtd/3 && cp backup.img /dev/mtd/3 && rebootBut it fails

-sh: eraseall: not found
root@dm600pvr:/tmp#What shall I do?

halfdene
17th July, 2009, 08:32 PM
Thanks, I used Dream Up last time but next time I will try this.

zlate
1st August, 2009, 10:14 PM
When I type the command Telnet ip.address.of.dreambox it says telnet not found. What should I do. Do I need some software or???

Bulld0g
1st August, 2009, 10:17 PM
What OS you using m8. ? Telnet was stopped in Vista. Look in downloads for a prog called putty. you can run tenet on this on vista and windows 7

Rhinotoby
2nd August, 2009, 05:59 PM
Telnet commands seem to be a dangerous way of doing it as i fried a dm 500-c doing that. Much easier to upload dm.img to temp via ftp, rename to root.cramfs and do a manual update.

astropalmo
28th August, 2009, 12:53 AM
devilfish thanks a million.
i've been trying to sort out my dreambox 500c which i recieved today. it got enigma image and i was unable to get any channel but i just telnet the digital kaos image with your tutorial. your are a star. regards. :congrats:

zlate
8th September, 2009, 12:42 PM
I don't know the pass for my dreambox is there any way cracking it or reinstaling it without losing the settings or any way to backup or download the bouquets at least

atlanta
8th September, 2009, 06:38 PM
hi
can some one help
in dcc commander window is blank
the network set up is ok all green
mini web working ok
everything is ok but there should be files from the receiver in that window but it empty

nivlem
9th November, 2009, 04:07 PM
Don't know what's best image so I picked the NabiloBlackHole_DM800_012 image. Q. Will ftp'ing it to /tmp dir and following the same telnet command apply this image to my DM800.
I did all this ages ago on my DM500, does the same process apply with DM 800?
what about cams etc, is there an idoits guide for DM800 on the forum somewhere, Sorry I am abit numpty due to lack of practise playing with Dreambox for more than a year or so....
Thxs
Nivlem

westkill
9th November, 2009, 04:30 PM
Don't know what's best image so I picked the NabiloBlackHole_DM800_012 image. Q. Will ftp'ing it to /tmp dir and following the same telnet command apply this image to my DM800.
I did all this ages ago on my DM500, does the same process apply with DM 800?
what about cams etc, is there an idoits guide for DM800 on the forum somewhere, Sorry I am abit numpty due to lack of practise playing with Dreambox for more than a year or so....
Thxs
Nivlem

this telnet dosnt work with the dm800 as the images for this box are E2 images as with the dm500 they are E1 images

the best way to flash it is via webbrowser
have a look in the sticky,s in the dreambox sat section how to :)

dbdos
2nd December, 2009, 01:09 AM
Can flashing via telnet be used to replace an image? I'm attempting to replace an old Gemini image on a dm500c with the latest Pli-Jade3 image. I don't have the null modem cable, thus my reason for exploring this method, as I can't use DreamUp.

baretto
4th December, 2009, 02:56 AM
For those with Vista/W7 who cannot get Telnet to launch after you have enabled it in your "Programs and Features" you can use an alternative program to Telnet called PuTTy Found here (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/)

Works a charm. Thanks Devs for this. Saved me from getting a Null Modem Cable ;)

dbdos
4th December, 2009, 11:20 AM
I'm assuming you flashed a brand new dreambox, as opposed to one with a previous firmware, e.g. gemini.

caveman_nige
7th February, 2010, 07:41 PM
I own a DM600.

I run the command:

root@dm600pvr:/# cd /tmp && eraseall /dev/mtd/3 && cp backup.img /dev/mtd/3 && rebootBut it fails

root@dm600pvr:/tmp#What shall I do?

Odd, i am getting this as well.. never had it before.. trying to flash a backup of pli iolite image from one dm600 to another dm600.... has anybody else had this, what did they do?

nawzad
7th February, 2010, 08:27 PM
hello wheen i paste cd /tmp && eraseall /dev/mtd/3 && cp backup.img /dev/mtd/3 && reboot , i get -sh: eraseall: not found
can u help me please

audreyr
2nd March, 2010, 08:22 PM
can anyone tell me where to get a flash image for my db 500c plz

bob114
13th March, 2010, 02:04 AM
hi
this tut has helped me no ends
this is my take with pictures
hope this may help

baretto
13th March, 2010, 11:24 PM
Telnet Commands

Oh no. I decided to flash my Dbox again but...

I did all this without placing the backup.img file into the tmp folder of the DBox :(

Now my Dreambox is completely dead because i think that command deletes everything. The light is on but theres nothing on screen even the remote does not work

How will I flash my Dbox now? Knowing that I have no idea what the IP is.

HELPPPP! :(

bob114
14th March, 2010, 01:42 AM
hi
beretto
have a look at Guide: Flashing a Dreambox with Dreamup sticky

baretto
16th March, 2010, 06:03 PM
Thanks bob. It worked a charm.

harky
23rd March, 2010, 12:51 PM
telnet seen to be abit hard for me to flash my dm500c.. Zzz

i had d/l PuTTY as i m using vista but when i enable the prog and feature

Run - Telnet ip.address.of.dreambox

it popup but than later the window gone i assume it cannot connect how ?

btw it a new setbox..

harky
24th March, 2010, 05:18 AM
update
manage to get it flash thanks.

maxsteel
5th April, 2010, 06:03 AM
Thanks for the info

tadaoow
17th April, 2010, 12:42 AM
thanks for guide much appreciated

drews
20th April, 2010, 06:59 PM
thanks for info

gilb426
13th May, 2010, 04:27 PM
hello anyone has a new DSM image backup file for the dm 500s. channel gone. new at this box already set up for this. help please

sbu7360
27th May, 2010, 01:29 PM
dear all, i'm kind of confused..

do i flash the image 1st or do i do a backup 1st?

i'm stuck at the point where i'm asked to ftp the backup.img to the box... i really dun noe how to work tis step.

sbu7360
28th May, 2010, 05:23 AM
dear all, may i noe if i'm successful wif the flash, wat will i see?

babyleon
28th May, 2010, 05:53 AM
hello i m new here.. have problems with my set up box. need help

stuckhub
2nd July, 2010, 03:18 PM
Hi, I backup an image from one of my working dm500c and copy it to /tmp folder of my second box, run the command from telnet and it said 100% complete and disconnect. My box is now stuck in green with black screen. Nothing else, even reboots doesnt show anything on screen.

Please help as I am flashing the box for my fren!

Thanks a zillion!

TyperSG
7th July, 2010, 04:42 PM
Hi, I backup an image from one of my working dm500c and copy it to /tmp folder of my second box, run the command from telnet and it said 100% complete and disconnect. My box is now stuck in green with black screen. Nothing else, even reboots doesnt show anything on screen.

Please help as I am flashing the box for my fren!

Thanks a zillion!
now i have the same problem :(

weishun09
17th July, 2010, 03:07 PM
Hi bros,

After i flash my dm800hd i got the error no CA found. So i trying to follow what here bros have advice but from the very first place i am unable to get my ip adress of my dreambox. I use serial to flash my dreambox so i don't know what is my dreambox ip. Now DreamUP unable to get dm800 and i connect the dm800 and laptop to router also. But nothing can be done.

So any bros can advice how to get my dm800 ip?
or
How i can flash my dm800 using 2nd stage?

Thanks in adv

Bulld0g
17th July, 2010, 03:22 PM
Hi bros,

After i flash my dm800hd i got the error no CA found. So i trying to follow what here bros have advice but from the very first place i am unable to get my ip adress of my dreambox. I use serial to flash my dreambox so i don't know what is my dreambox ip. Now DreamUP unable to get dm800 and i connect the dm800 and laptop to router also. But nothing can be done.

So any bros can advice how to get my dm800 ip?
or
How i can flash my dm800 using 2nd stage?

Thanks in adv

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f39/tut-how-fix-no-ca-all-dm800hd-120977/

weishun09
18th July, 2010, 03:26 AM
hi bros,

i have flash to 'sim201e-ss76a-domica-50-dm800-20100629.nfi' after i got the no CA found. Now i can see the ip address but unable to telnet ip but able to ping ip. i got the serial and ethernet cable connect. box is in serial mode. i have try using DCC, start>run>telnet ip, winscp and flashfxp not one can connect ftp. i still unable to watch but able to scan channel. i think i never done b4 the 'keys' things so thinking of doing it.

Any bros can help me?

b3nzzz
20th July, 2010, 08:57 AM
thank alot !!!!!

tspt88
30th July, 2010, 10:00 AM
great to join in this forum, very informative. thanks guys..

talkways
9th August, 2010, 02:11 AM
Telnet Commands

I Performed this and my dream box is dead. It just shows green light only. I don't have Null Modem cable. Anything else I can revive that box. (RJ 45 crossover cable)

talkways
9th August, 2010, 02:16 AM
BTW I can't telnet or FTP the box any more. It is Dream BOX DM 500-S and I fu***d the box by doing a factory reset. and after ward renaming the file Gemini_0450_DM500_max_var_13092008.img.zip to backup.img. I hope I haven't killed it permanently. Please advice. Thanks.

multigain2010
9th September, 2010, 02:45 AM
can anyone tell me where to get a flash image for my db 500c plz .

Thank alot for your help.

trsand123
10th September, 2010, 08:25 PM
Telnet guide very helpful, thank you:rock:

plasterer
10th September, 2010, 09:23 PM
Its the best
And the Quickest Cheers ...............Paul

rae07
11th September, 2010, 12:35 PM
Great guide! Thanks!

ronaldlye
25th September, 2010, 06:14 PM
Telnet Commands

I screwed up big time here. Went too quickly in my excitement to get the dm500c working I copied Devilfish instruction, actually thot i was do a backup !

But I did not copy the backup.img to the tmp folder. The commnad prompt showed the erase complete. I am afraid I am left w a paperweight :< unless someone can help.

The box has green pilot on and that's about it. I see nothing on the tv and even when I run dreamup - the connect connect the dreambox.

Any inputs or suggestion to salvage my baby. Can i just copy the backup.img to the proper place?

thanks for your kind patience and understanding w a noobie like me. HELP HELP

ron

gmb45
25th September, 2010, 06:17 PM
I screwed up big time here. Went too quickly in my excitement to get the dm500c working I copied Devilfish instruction, actually thot i was do a backup !

cd /tmp && eraseall /dev/mtd/3 && cp backup.img /dev/mtd/3 && rebootBut I did not copy the backup.img to the tmp folder. The commnad prompt showed the erase complete. I am afraid I am left w a paperweight :< unless someone can help.

The box has green pilot on and that's about it. I see nothing on the tv and even when I run dreamup - the connect connect the dreambox.

Any inputs or suggestion to salvage my baby. Can i just copy the backup.img to the proper place?

ron
yeh lob it in the bin m8, the 500c no good any way against nag3

ronaldlye
25th September, 2010, 06:17 PM

cd /tmp && eraseall /dev/mtd/3 && cp backup.img /dev/mtd/3 && rebootBut I did not copy the backup.img to the tmp folder. The commnad prompt showed the erase complete. I am afraid I am left w a paperweight :< unless someone can help.

ron

I did not mention that i cannot telnet the dreambox anymore, i cant telnet to the ip address. I basically have lost all my menus and services.

ron

waqasahmed
30th September, 2010, 10:57 PM
Have you tried hooking it up to a RS232 port using a null modem cable, and reflashed it that way?

I've rarely had "black screens", so I've had to use Dreamup to flash the receiver, as opposed to flashing by network

ronaldlye
1st October, 2010, 07:03 AM
Have you tried hooking it up to a RS232 port using a null modem cable, and reflashed it that way?

I've rarely had "black screens", so I've had to use Dreamup to flash the receiver, as opposed to flashing by network

Managed to unbrick it by reflashing - none the usb to serial, x cable, nothing thing worked. thought abt vuying express card but hear win7 is not good. too many ifs and buts conditions, it was quite daunting whether to throw so more good money at ""bad"" technology

last resort was to blow off the dust of an old p3 box which has not been used and sitting in the storeroom. Dont even know why i kept it in the first place???.

Viola - dreamup began talking to the dead dm500. Amazing !! sincerely think dmboxes need to be upgraded in this respect of null modem and serial port connectivity. How many of us actually have a good working p3 or pp4 sets?

Anyway i am happy now. Thx for the input.

ALMAKDISI
22nd December, 2010, 12:01 PM
hi m8
the port in my laptop is 15pin (blue coulor) and the port in my box is 9pin.i still can use the null modem cable?some one told me this blue port is not for flashing and i can use usb/9pin port cable is that correct?

nifty1a
30th December, 2010, 06:15 PM
hi m8
the port in my laptop is 15pin (blue coulor) and the port in my box is 9pin.i still can use the null modem cable?some one told me this blue port is not for flashing and i can use usb/9pin port cable is that correct?

I think you'll find that the 15pin port is a VGA output mate... Is it a socket? and does it have 3 rows of holes?

bshaik
1st January, 2011, 05:42 PM
good post i really liked it.

kiv
5th February, 2011, 05:11 AM
Any expert can guilde me to download the image file? Still searching for the null cable thou, was wondering is there a adapter from 9 pin to usb?
Also, if the card expired, is flashing still useful? Really new and on my learning path, appreciate any help here.

Jerry98
19th February, 2011, 04:18 AM
yeh lob it in the bin m8, the 500c no
good any way against nag3

I have the same situation, I used the command

and my page blank out. I think i need some null cable using a netbook without rs 232 outlet only with USB port.

In SG, any place to buy any kind of cables to connect using usb? Really need help, now my 500c cannot connect via lan cable. Blank, any expert, please advise and help please.

vienn07
28th February, 2011, 02:34 PM
root@dm800:/tmp# cd /tmp && eraseall /dev/mtd/3 && cp mybackup.img /dev/mtd/3 &&
reboot
I'm having this error. I have already change the file name to mybackup.img via flashfxp and place the file in the tmp folder. Anyone can help me out here?

chlim
30th March, 2011, 04:43 AM
Going to try Waqasahmed suggestion using DREAMUP and serial cable to clone one Dreambox500S to another Dreambox500S. Does it mean I have to first connect to one Dreambox(source) to copy its image, disconnect it and then connect the second Dreambox(target) to upload the copied image? Sorry if I am looking for step by step procedures for the sequence of connecting the serial cable as I am a newborn.
Many thanks to the useful posts in this Forum that has increased my understanding of the Dreambox.
Help appreciated.

Logger
19th April, 2011, 10:32 AM
http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac219/Dscheng/Personal/DB25male-DB9-female.jpg

Hi all,

Is this cable can be use for flashing the image for DM500C?

rick19011
1st June, 2011, 04:26 PM
did this and now I only have a green light on my box, THANKS A LOT OP YOUR A STAR!
D$CKHEAD.

cgscott
1st June, 2011, 04:30 PM
did this and now I only have a green light on my box, THANKS A LOT OP YOUR A STAR!
D$CKHEAD.

Why you so angry?

Do you know how simple these boxes are?

rick19011
6th June, 2011, 10:00 PM
Why you so angry?

Do you know how simple these boxes are?
I love you.

tuxpower
6th July, 2011, 08:11 AM

I've got a DM800C HD PVR. Trying to backup the image that comes with the box so I can reflash it later if something should go wrong. I've managed to telnet to it and realised that there is no such directory /dev/mtd/3 in it. I can only find /dev/mtd3 in /dev:

root@dm800:~# ls -l /dev/mtd*
crw-rw---- 1 root root 90, 0 Jan 1 08:00 /dev/mtd0
crw-rw---- 1 root root 90, 1 Jan 1 08:00 /dev/mtd0ro
crw-rw---- 1 root root 90, 2 Jan 1 08:00 /dev/mtd1
crw-rw---- 1 root root 90, 3 Jan 1 08:00 /dev/mtd1ro
crw-rw---- 1 root root 90, 4 Jan 1 08:00 /dev/mtd2
crw-rw---- 1 root root 90, 5 Jan 1 08:00 /dev/mtd2ro
crw-rw---- 1 root root 90, 6 Jan 1 08:00 /dev/mtd3
crw-rw---- 1 root root 90, 7 Jan 1 08:00 /dev/mtd3ro
brw-r----- 1 root disk 31, 0 Jan 1 08:00 /dev/mtdblock0
brw-r----- 1 root disk 31, 1 Jan 1 08:00 /dev/mtdblock1
brw-r----- 1 root disk 31, 2 Jan 1 08:00 /dev/mtdblock2
brw-r----- 1 root disk 31, 3 Jan 1 08:00 /dev/mtdblock3

/dev/mtdblock:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Jan 1 08:00 0 -> ../mtdblock0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Jan 1 08:00 1 -> ../mtdblock1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Jan 1 08:00 2 -> ../mtdblock2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Jan 1 08:00 3 -> ../mtdblock3
So, how should I backup this box's image?

cat /dev/mtd3 > /tmp/backup.nfiWill the above command work?

Thanks

Devilfish
17th July, 2011, 08:23 PM
This method won't work with a DM800, I've been out the came for a ages now so can't help you further, sorry.

smirnoff_rules
17th July, 2011, 08:28 PM
u have to flash from the boxes webpage m8 , power up box with your finger on the power button . u will see message stop and remove finger and u will see an ip address , but that in your browser and u have an option to flash an image , search for it and flash

Bulld0g
17th July, 2011, 08:47 PM
As above, flashing this way takes about two minutes. When you add your bouquets etc and set the box up the way you want it, go to MENU...SETUP....SOFTWARE MANAGEMENT....BACKUP SYSTEM SETTINGS.

Next time you flash another image you can add these settings, as above but using RESTORE SYSTEM SETTINGS. no need to make a back up of your image when you can save your settings and just restore them to a new image. Takes about 2-3 minutes in total.

digitalim
18th July, 2011, 05:33 PM
Hi, I'm using DM500(Sliver), currently only can watch normal channel.
I wanted to refresh but keep having invalid login.
I tried the username and password given (root / dreambox) but still fail.
Is there any other username and password can be use?
Thanks

gringo 85
9th October, 2011, 03:14 AM
i have bought a dreambox but have no idea how to set it up without frying it. can anybody help?

AVGAL
12th April, 2012, 09:52 PM
Flash Dreambox Without Serial Cable - Using FTP & Telnet Tutorial - DM500 - YouTube

mizen1
3rd June, 2012, 04:25 PM
thanks for all the info ....im off to Maplins on tuesday thanks again

waqasahmed
3rd June, 2012, 11:23 PM
thanks for all the info ....im off to Maplins on tuesday thanks again

Lol. If you're looking at a network cable, do not go to Maplins. You're going to get ripped off. If it's quality you want, then go on eBay and type in cat5e 350MHz and find some cable from there, but otherwise I'd not bother with Maplins at all

mizen1
4th June, 2012, 11:00 PM
[QUOTE=waqasahmed;1581277]Lol. If you're looking at a network cable, do not go to Maplins. You're going to get ripped off. If it's quality you want, then go on eBay and type in cat5e 350MHz and find some cable from there, but otherwise I'd not bother with Maplins at all[/QUote

Many thanks to all again. Love this site and i will be telling my friends.

leowyk
11th June, 2012, 06:29 PM
Telnet Commands

Hi,

Will the back up cmd work for mac OS?

waqasahmed
12th June, 2012, 12:20 AM
Hi,

Will the back up cmd work for mac OS?

Yes. The commands are for the linux receiver. You are only using telnet to send commands to the receiver, hence it doesn't matter what OS you are using to initiate the commands - All you need is a telnet client

ozkanb
1st July, 2012, 04:12 PM
How to do this on dreambox 500 HD?

DBTraitor
12th July, 2012, 10:12 PM
Flash Dreambox using FTP & Telnet - YouTube

jiangou2007
15th July, 2012, 04:37 AM
hi all,
my DM500C cannot flash by Dreamup and Telnet method.
Is Jtag able to recover it?

sagit524
29th August, 2012, 10:28 AM
i never succeed flashing the image through telnet. my box become dead box. is there any do and dont or pre-configured/ step that need to be done before using the telnet methods.

jmania
18th March, 2013, 11:29 AM
hmm i tried the above commands.. but now my box has no heart beat..
after it erased the image. then i think when its trying to execute copying the file over it says illegal command and the box just went blank.
its not detectable in the network anymore.. anyone can help?

AVGAL
19th March, 2013, 12:30 PM
Flash Dreambox using FTP & Telnet - YouTube

AVGAL
19th March, 2013, 12:33 PM
Flash Dreambox Without Serial Cable - Using FTP & Telnet Tutorial - DM500 - YouTube