PDA

View Full Version : Just like the X files

awestcountryboy
17th September, 2008, 09:44 PM
I wonder if anyone can solve this mystery?

I've had my Nokia dbox2 for over a year with no problems until very recently. Then it started freezing very briefly. My supplier told me to check all the leads/connections. When I checked the back of the box I noticed the cable entry connection had almost snapped off.

My supplier gave it to his contact who soldered it back on. At his contacts house he recieved all the channels again. My supplier also checked it in his house and again it worked perfectly. I collected it from him, plugged it in and could get hardly any channels, not even BBC1,2, ITV etc although I got ukgold people (wow) and 1 or 2 other obscure channels perfectly. I also got some channels called BTV service 1,2,3 and 4????. On all the other channels I got either a blank screen or a frozen picture with an intermittant sound or a screeching.

When I phoned my man he seemed very suprised and thought it could be signal strength. Do not ask how but he boosted my signal, plugged it in again but got the same result! He had another box in his car and plugged that in and got a perfect picture with all the channels!!!

I am a complete novice at this. Has anyone ANY ideas on what the problem could be. It seems the box is fine as it works in both their houses and it seems everything is ok my end as a different box works in my house.

Help!!!....please

Fergal
18th September, 2008, 10:25 AM
Try a booster from argos slx1p plus there will be a splitter/isolator inside the white box on the wall use a joiner and take it out and see if it works ok if it does replace it with a new one.

DiddyDave
18th September, 2008, 07:18 PM
Try a booster from argos slx1p plus there will be a splitter/isolator inside the white box on the wall use a joiner and take it out and see if it works ok if it does replace it with a new one.

Yes I agree but I would not bother with a booster you are getting telly via cable not aerial so I would invest in a good splitter as this is the cause of many picture and sound problems

Fergal
18th September, 2008, 07:48 PM
Yes I agree but I would not bother with a booster you are getting telly via cable not aerial so I would invest in a good splitter as this is the cause of many picture and sound problems
The booster is for cable aswell

DiddyDave
18th September, 2008, 07:50 PM
The booster is for cable aswell

How does a booster work via coax then fiber..? it is not like an aerial where you get signal problems. Interesting..!

awestcountryboy
20th September, 2008, 05:08 PM
Thank you so much Fergal for your information.

Was advised to check my SNR by pressing red then blue. I found it was nowhere near the 55000 required so I purchased a booster (as you suggested) from A**os set it up turned on a bingo! The picture is perfect.

Thank you again.

Fergal
21st September, 2008, 11:30 AM
How does a booster work via coax then fiber..? it is not like an aerial where you get signal problems. Interesting..!
It helps to lower the snr on the line thus giving a higher snr % reading on the box which is what it needed

Thank you so much Fergal for your information.

Was advised to check my SNR by pressing red then blue. I found it was nowhere near the 55000 required so I purchased a booster (as you suggested) from A**os set it up turned on a bingo! The picture is perfect.

Thank you again.
Glad you are up and running:)