PDA

View Full Version : ECU Repair edc15c3

BeianM
27th December, 2009, 02:23 PM
Ok I give up :giveup:HELP!!!
Hi all, I am about to put this ecu in for repair. It does not communicate & the engine is dead. I have checked live & earth feeds & have also tried it on the bench. The ecu is from my Renault Espace, tools used are clip, maxidiag 704 & gelletto.
My question is, is there an internal fuse that I cannot see? The internals look fine, no burns or exploded components or burnt tracks. Is there any known faults or common parts failing?
Any experience and advice appreciated. Goes in Tuesday if I'm not able to make it live.
Thanks
Brian
& yes I did check the search option & have scoured the internet for the last couple of weeks before posting here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meat-Head
27th December, 2009, 02:33 PM
after several years working on differant makes and models of vechile, any thing french will normally have at least two genuine faults.

Would be inclined to put back in the vechile and get a pin-out data for it.

Does it power up at all, fuel pump click/whine?

EC and FP relays, do they have anything on them?

Yes if you have spent weeks buggering around with it, then yes send it away and ask the bastards to send back a pin-out for it.

Have had same, no comms, no start, found the faultS engine running, still no comms!

Fit a cranckshaft sensor anyway, download from gsfcarparts.com

if no joy, post ecu away, remember NOT to include return address and after a few weeks, just scrap it.

Contact the ECU people first, dude.

let us know what the faults were.

MOBILTRONIC
27th December, 2009, 11:01 PM
Perhaps it is reprogramed with Galletto and end no communication with the ECU and can not be accessed diagnostics, vehicle not make to turn on.

BeianM
28th December, 2009, 12:11 AM
Perhaps it is reprogramed with Galletto and end no communication with the ECU and can not be accessed diagnostics, vehicle not make to turn on.

This Espace has come to me without the original keys & has already been through other hands so it has been well faffed with.
The car had originally broken down & went to the Renault dealer. They cut new keys for it, I assume they thought it was an im*o problem. I don't think they ever got the car working. The owner was not prepared to pay anymore money on it because he was was in dispute with the garage he bought it from. The car is subject to a trading standards case.

I could just pay out ?300.00 & replace the ecu, bsi & speedo but would rather keep costs down. ?58 for a test & poss repair included is a bit of a gamble but I need to push this project forward.
I have a PDF which includes the pinouts & test procedure for all relevent DCi engine faults if anyone needs it. It would be nice to have a circuit diagram of the ecu, at least I could do an initial investigation.

Meat-Head
28th December, 2009, 12:14 AM
This Espace has come to me without the original keys & has already been through other hands so it has been well faffed with.
The car had originally broken down & went to the Renault dealer. They cut new keys for it, I assume they thought it was an im*o problem. I don't think they ever got the car working. The owner was not prepared to pay anymore money on it because he was was in dispute with the garage he bought it from. The car is subject to a trading standards case.

I could just pay out ?300.00 & replace the ecu, bsi & speedo but would rather keep costs down. ?58 for a test & poss repair included is a bit of a gamble but I need to push this project forward.
I have a PDF which includes the pinouts & test procedure for all relevent DCi engine faults if anyone needs it. It would be nice to have a circuit diagram of the ecu, at least I could do an initial investigation.

yes please post your pdf file.

what does the immo light do, flash solid out or none of above?

DO NOT try splitting the errectors in half, this kills them, dude.

BeianM
28th December, 2009, 12:54 AM
The imo light is constant on. Unlike my other car it does not go off after ten seconds. If I offer the wrong keyfob the imo light is flash flash flash.
I dare say this pdf is part of dialogys, If I ever get a version to work then "that'll be the day" & life may get a little easier working on the renaults. Also the renault wiring diags I downloaded has a duff file on this vehicle. I was looking at the Laguna 1.9 dci wiring which I now find is slightly different.
This pdf is thanks to the archive at the Matra forum. Of course I should have looked there first after all the Espace is just badged by renault!!!!!

busaman
28th December, 2009, 09:58 AM
when the light is on solid there is no comms from immo box/uch to ecu it has a wiring fault, as well as the keys being wrong, i personally if its an old car walk away from it

cheange the engine control relays first see if you get comms.

Meat-Head
28th December, 2009, 10:52 AM
i agree with 100% busaman, except set fire to it and get thermal value out of it rather than just walk away.

BeianM
28th December, 2009, 11:53 AM
when the light is on solid there is no comms from im*o box/uch to ecu it has a wiring fault, as well as the keys being wrong,

With a non paired key it is constantly flashing. With the cars PIN code I managed to pair a key (thanks go to Patrian for the pin) I have the original ign. key no. & used it with a calculator & this gave me the same code as Patrian.
On my working Espace the light is constant but will go out after around ten secs if you don't start the engine. This car the light just stays on.
I have tried the ecu on the bench & can't get comms, Can & k line. I'm told by Alan at ECU REPAIRS / ECU DECODES (http://www.ecuclinic.com) that I should see the ecu even if the im*o is faulty.

The car is 2002 so I wont be walking away from it, I rarely walk away from a dying patient, my mate was well impressed when I resussed the air suspension on his Range Rover. How ever I did tow our old Rover 214 to the yard last week even though it had a good engine!! ?100 in my pocket for christmas :)

BeianM
29th December, 2009, 06:05 PM
Double checking myself, I plugged the ecu back in & measured the earth at the main engine relay with the ign. on, it was not enough to throw the relay over at only 2.5volts. I gave it a good earth & it held the relay on. Put the good earth back on but still no start. 12v & good earth at the ecu feed so off to the menders in the new year.

Meat-Head
29th December, 2009, 07:01 PM
Double checking myself, I plugged the ecu back in & measured the earth at the main engine relay with the ign. on, it was not enough to throw the relay over at only 2.5volts. I gave it a good earth & it held the relay on. Put the good earth back on but still no start. 12v & good earth at the ecu feed so off to the menders in the new year.

So you are saying it has two faults?
We don't beleive you. Try closing the relay whilst somebody turns the ign on, because it is posable the ecu has 'missed' the immo signal

or ign on battery off, cable tie relay (or link 3-5 or 30-87 whatever) battery on.

Was told 10 years ago this can blow airbags (awesome) in 10 years doing this 100's of times (accidently), sadly no such luck.

BeianM
7th January, 2010, 04:31 PM
Just been told what I already know, the ecu is dead. I thought they would be able to repair a power failier, but no "buy a new one" they say. There goes ?48 down the swanny :(
So http://www.autotekelectronics.com/newautotek/index.php (http://www.electroniccarparts.com) are not able to do ecu repairs!! Wish I had gone to ECU REPAIRS / ECU DECODES (http://www.ecuclinic.com)

Crun
8th January, 2010, 11:39 AM
Be careful , most of the firms advertising on the internet do not actually do repairs , some just take your money and say it cannot be repaired , many others pass these on to repairers and add a cut themselves. ATP in Staffordshire are the biggest repairers , they work for Ford and Opel , but they do not advertise much. Beware of certain firms located in the south of England - I cannot mention any names unfortunately.

Meat-Head
8th January, 2010, 02:42 PM
Be careful , most of the firms advertising on the internet do not actually do repairs , some just take your money and say it cannot be repaired , many others pass these on to repairers and add a cut themselves. ATP in Staffordshire are the biggest repairers , they work for Ford and Opel , but they do not advertise much. Beware of certain firms located in the south of England - I cannot mention any names unfortunately.

PM users with names (hint)

time for a new thread -"who do you trust"

users list people/shops where they know will do a good job (remind me)

PremierD
8th January, 2010, 07:00 PM
[Beware of certain firms located in the south of England - I cannot mention any names unfortunately.

It would'nt be in the South west of Englandshire mate ..would it ....?

Meat-Head
8th January, 2010, 08:24 PM
[Beware of certain firms located in the south of England - I cannot mention any names unfortunately.

It would'nt be in the South west of Englandshire mate ..would it ....?

Damm if i knew who you was all refering to would be happy to say the
name.

Did hear through some green fly eaten grape vine that 'bba' send there
jobs to ......<can't remember>. but only heard that the once

BeianM
8th January, 2010, 09:30 PM
The company I used is where I live in Poole. Central south coast. I think they may be part of eurocarparts. Interestingly the website printed on their flyer is a search engine??? All their phone no.s are 0871 ripoff. I will get full details when I get around to collecting the dead ecu.
Alan at ecu clinic .com does appear to be a nice guy, he is at least happy to talk on the phone.
I have managed to buy a used ecu, BII, & im-o chip from the key for ?115 delivered. Will keep you informed.

Meat-Head
19th January, 2010, 10:31 PM
have you managed to get it to do this (you do run run)?

YouTube - The Crystals - Da Doo Ron Ron

BeianM
20th January, 2010, 11:02 AM
Car is running, kind of!!! 2nd hand BII + ECU + Im*o chip from remote got it going. I fitted with the battery off & had no dash or drivers window working. Manuel he say fit BII with batt connected, ign. off & don't hit with tree branch. As I did this it armed the alarm. Now I cant turn it off. It is not connected to the remote. Doors lock & unlock ok. Put original BII back & still the same. Pulled the fuse for now. :bawling:
Have a multitude of faults, engine won't rev due to track fault from throttle, various sensors not reporting in also. Working outside so will get to it in short bursts.

BeianM
2nd March, 2010, 12:39 AM
Thought an update was due,
faults were < note 'were' :) >
df 091 sensor supply no. 1 volts
df 084 egr valve position sensor circuit
df 074 boost pressure sensor
df 071 track 1 pedal sensor circuit = 1. def sensor feed fault
df 019 air flow sensor circuit = 1. def sensor feed fault
df 067 fuel pressure sensor circuit = 1.def sensor feed fault
df002 water temp sensor circuit = 1. def sensor feed fault
6g torque reduction = open circuit or cc to earth
12g pressure mod solenoid valve circuit 3 = open circuit or cc to earth

The big issue is df091 sensor supply volts. All my sensors showed 5v so it was a little baffling. In Clip it was one of the last in the list so I didn't get to it first. Once I read up on the fault code it became apparent that if this shows then it is a fault with one of the main sensors in the list. You have to check each one & the wiring from the ecu to the sensors. Of course the fault was the last one I checked!! It was not visable, but measuring across its connector all three wires appeared connected together. Even though the ecu was disconnected. This was the fuel pressure sensor. So where to look for the fault? I happened to choose the right end of the cable, the sensor end. With the engine top covers off the wires appeared ok. I slit the tape so I could see the cable that was within the trunking, there is around 5cm of it ar the sensor end. Also within it is the injector cable. Well all five wires had melted together!! the sensor & injector cables. But there was no injector fault showing.
The engine would run but with no response to the throttle, so just tickover. I am amazed that it ran at all.
Repaired the cables & all faults went away, Hooray :dancing2:
Hope this may help others.
Of course there are still a couple of issues to deal with, after all it is a Renault :hahaha:
I now have to get sorted with reading the 908 as the mileage is now from the replacement bII, 185k is 60k too much!!
Oh and the Alarm. I have a spare cobra unit somewhere.

Kanaan
2nd March, 2010, 08:40 AM
H ;

busaman
2nd March, 2010, 09:23 AM
it still looks like a wiring (power / earth feed issue) what on erath happened to the the car in the firsst place.

bronwynbarnard
31st March, 2013, 10:59 AM
had the same problem with an Espace and it was the fusible link at battery(part of the positive terminal acts as a fuse) in the event of a short circuit it melts, however it melts under the plastic covering on the top so its not visible. try a continuity test from positive to the sections of he positive cabling going to the fusebox.

mtechno
11th April, 2013, 08:52 PM
gone to ECU REPAIRS / ECU DECODES (http://www.ecuclinic.com)
What do you know about this company? If they are not even vat registered maybe just a pixie working in a shoe box!

Meat-Head
11th April, 2013, 09:11 PM
just a pixie working in a shoe box!

Off topic

got 3 items off ebay 3 differant sellers got 3 identical messages (except user name on bottom)

mtechno
11th April, 2013, 09:50 PM
Off topic

got 3 items off ebay 3 differant sellers got 3 identical messages (except user name on bottom)

Apart from the name tattooed on your bum! seems like you've developed a compulsive buying disorder, what were you looking at?
How off topic are we? Is it legal? was the user name on your arse Jimmy Saville by any chance?

BeianM
10th May, 2013, 11:20 PM
gone to ECU REPAIRS / ECU DECODES (http://www.ecuclinic.com)
What do you know about this company? If they are not even vat registered maybe just a pixie working in a shoe box!

You dont' have to be vat reg. if you dont want to be. Nice guy, someone you can talk to first about your fault for advise. Knows his onions - been there done that got the t-shirt type.

Meat-Head
11th May, 2013, 08:07 AM
You dont' have to be vat reg. if you dont want to be. Nice guy, someone you can talk to first about your fault for advise. Knows his onions - been there done that got the t-shirt type.

Despite the fact against dk rules no selling alloud - did you want an edc 15 reno ecu with them other bits?