PDA

View Full Version : starview 3 - newbie

Dazzer111
18th September, 2008, 12:31 PM
i got one of these as someone recomended it as a replacement for busted NTL box. I understnd i need to upload the GTROM files -but i am confused as to whcih version to upload and where to get the relevant files from.

any guidance mucho appreciated.....

andyb39
18th September, 2008, 01:39 PM
hi you need gt rom 8 to flash drive mine works a treat never had no problems you get all the channels hope this helps

theyel2001
18th September, 2008, 03:33 PM
what software version do you need for the starview 3 ?

jaytag
18th September, 2008, 08:34 PM
gt rom 8.00 is the newest software for starview 3 it will stop it rebooting it self you should have noprobs after that

satsmo
19th September, 2008, 12:28 PM
Version 8.00 still causes reboots on the later SV3s. Use 7.09 Beta.

theyel2001
19th September, 2008, 12:36 PM
thanks
i was a it confussed as i didn't realise the bin file was in the gtrom already:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::do ntknow:

where do i find 7.09 ???

satsmo
19th September, 2008, 12:57 PM
Yes its in a UFL, (Unfied Firmware Loader), format. I have put it here for you Digital Kaos - Downloads - The Box Super Firmware V7.09 Beta (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/downloads/starview/23/box-super-firmware-v7-09-beta-331/)

theyel2001
19th September, 2008, 01:03 PM
thankyou very much.
the channel editor ?
do you use it the same as the starview 2 ?
covert to old - convert to new or does the software put them in the correct catorgries ?

satsmo
19th September, 2008, 01:10 PM
You cannot use the SVCE on a SV3 as it maps the channels as per VM already.

theyel2001
19th September, 2008, 05:51 PM
so will the software put the programs in order ??

satsmo
19th September, 2008, 06:48 PM
Yes as said it will map them as per a VM subbed box.

dochuggybear
29th September, 2008, 09:50 AM
morning.
just had a starview3 and all this talk about flashing & d/l files has me confussed.
can any one help please

cactikid
29th September, 2008, 08:18 PM
when u buy any new box there is only freeview firmware on it,u can scan and get all the channels but u need to switch emu on in menu which is off limits until u update firmware/flash ok.

graham
2nd October, 2008, 01:50 PM
dochuggybear - you sorted yet mate? Can help if you still need it. Did my first Starview flash a couple of weeks ago, so still a newbie myself.

joe reid
3rd October, 2008, 10:45 AM
Hi,
I have the Star View. Tried flashing with GTROM ver 6.01. Kept getting failures. Hope this ver works. Joe (Dublin, Ireland)

satsmo
3rd October, 2008, 01:00 PM
Thats for a SV3 (The Box Super), is this what you have?

fiona641
7th October, 2008, 06:36 PM
I have just bought a star box three unable to view channels know I am meant to flash it but dont know how could someone help

mikerd
7th October, 2008, 06:42 PM
I have the same problem too, so any advice would be really appreaciated

mikerd
7th October, 2008, 08:19 PM
I have downloaded the software and type 1570 on at the menu switched on EMU, but I don't know what to do now. i have tried a scan but still only have the free to air. Could anyone help please!!!

satsmo
7th October, 2008, 10:13 PM
You will need a null modem cable DB9F to DB9F.

Null modem info

Serial Null Modem 9-Pin Female to 9-Pin Female > Maplin (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=L71BT&DOY=2m6)

If your pc does not have a serial port you will need a USB to serial port adapter to use in conjunction with the null modem cable.

USB Adapter info

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29968&TabID=1&C=SO&U=Strat10&doy=search&MenuName=USB%20to%20Serial%20Adaptor

These two cable links are only for reference as they can be purchased
a lot cheaper on fleabay.

Note:

Some people experience difficulties with the USB adapter, most of the time it is purely a port assignment problem. To rectify this make sure you have downloaded your driver and follow below to assign a port:

To see which port your USB adapter is connected to, connect your USB adapter and follow the following instructions:

1. Go to the Start Menu
2. Right click on "My Computer"
3. Select "Properties"
4. Click on the "Hardware" tab
5. Click on "Device Manager"
6. Click the + sign next to "Ports (COM & LPT)"
7. One of the listed ports should indicate which port your USB adapter is connected to (e.g. COM1, COM2, COM3, etc.)
8. Go back to Gtromloader and make sure it is looking at the correct port.
9. You should be able to transfer data once the correct port is selected

If you need drivers go here

USB to Serial Adapter driver downloads and documentation (http://www.gilsson.com/usb_drivers_download.htm)

Follow my advice to step 7. Locate your USB Adapter (port *)

Right click on that port and select properties. Then select port settings, then select advanced. At the bottom of that tab will be a drop down box with the port selected (port * in your case). Use the drop down to select another port (eg 1, 2 or 3). If the port you want to use is already allocated to something else, you can use the same procedure to reassign that port after you have finished.

Save the selections in the usual way. The USB converter will be permanently assigned to the port you selected.

This is based on Windows XP. Vista differs slightly in regards to device manager but the principle remains the same once you have a compatible device driver.

And if you are still having problems with the USB adapter then its time to get a serial PCI card.

Flashing The Box Super (Starview 3)

You will need version 7.09 firmware. It comes in a format similar to a UFL, so loader and firmware is combined. (UFL = Unified Firmware Loader)

Firmware (7.09) is only for the boxes with the extra output on the back and not meant as an up date for the older Super boxes. Version 8.00 works with some but causes reboots on others similar to 7.05 firmware, hence why I recommend 7.09. The decision is always with the user in relation to what firmware they decide to use.

Any one that has the older Starview 3 needs to use v6.01 .

Once you have downloaded the firmware, (place it on your desktop). If it need to be unwrapped use a program like winrar. Once unwrapped you should see a Red arrow on your desktop, click this and then click download, (make sure App file Only is selected). Progress bar will commence from 0% to 100%. When it reaches 100% please wait until it says complete.

Thats it flashed.

You will find firmware in downloads.

Scanning For Channels

As per all Starviews this is quite straight forward. After flashing you will be presented with the installation screen. Just select your language, then your provider and finally autoscan.

After autoscan has completed exit all the way out. Press menu, type 1570 on your remote, (to enter CAS menu), and enable key emu. Exit all the way out and put it on Sly Sports 1 to update.

cactikid
7th October, 2008, 10:33 PM
nice going satsmo lol, other people have problems correctly identifing there box which is crucial with flashing,read label on front left of unit,
starview 1 = starview
starview 2 = the box
starview 3 = the box super

ocpocp@hotmail.com
9th October, 2008, 12:40 PM
:secruity::secruity:what software version do you need for the starview 3 ?

satsmo
9th October, 2008, 05:32 PM
If you looked back two posts you would see. http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f83/starview-3-newbie-7670/index2.html#post49829

jonnyboy2750
17th October, 2008, 07:13 AM
Hi, my brother just got the Starview 3. I've read back throgh the posts and there seems to be some disagreement on the best firmware version. Don't want to keep going back to his to sort out problems, so which is the best? 7.09 beta or 8??
cheers!:hmmmm2:

young
17th October, 2008, 08:23 AM
if its a new box put firmware 8.0 on it 7.9 is ok but 8 is upto date it will work ok with both on unless your in irland then you will need to put the 7.9 on it hopes this helps you :manuscarf:

scorour
18th October, 2008, 05:30 PM
Yes its in a UFL, (Unfied Firmware Loader), format. I have put it here for you Digital Kaos - Downloads - The Box Super Firmware V7.09 Beta (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/downloads/starview/23/box-super-firmware-v7-09-beta-331/)

Thank you for this satsmo, helped with my problem.

jonnyboy2750
19th October, 2008, 12:11 PM
Cheers TrueRed. I'll give it a go.
Guess you deserve one of these (from a grudging Boro fan! ;-) ):manuflag:

ratters1984
23rd October, 2008, 01:09 PM
i got one of these as someone recomended it as a my starview 2box was knackered, cant seem to be able to download the software tho

satsmo
23rd October, 2008, 01:12 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum. I presume you mean its a SV3? If so take a look here http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f83/starview-3-newbie-7670/index2.html#post49829

ratters1984
23rd October, 2008, 08:46 PM
hi again, jst downloaded v8.00, loaded it onto the box as instructed, set everything up accordingly and followed the installation guide. still only have free to view channels?? this is probably repeating everything uv heard b4 but i havent quite sussed it yet lol help !

satsmo
23rd October, 2008, 11:27 PM
Have you checked the emu is on? Press menu, type 1570 on your remote and check it.

ratters1984
24th October, 2008, 08:03 PM
done it !! nice1, EGOR ITS ALIIIIIIVEE!!

young
24th October, 2008, 08:27 PM
thats a nice name for the box egor lol happy viewing

sidescan
25th October, 2008, 06:48 PM
Anyone got a pinout for the null cable? is it just a standard db9 null cable?

Thanks

D

thered
25th October, 2008, 06:53 PM
this is it m8

Null Modem Serial Cable DB9F - DB9F 1.8m UK FREEPOST on eBay, also, Cable Boxes, Satellite Cable Freeview, Consumer Electronics (end time 25-Oct-08 23:03:30 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Null-Modem-Serial-Cable-DB9F-DB9F-1-8m-UK-FREEPOST_W0QQitemZ130258244465QQcmdZViewItem?hash= item130258244465&_trkparms=72%3A1301|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A13 18&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

ocpocp@hotmail.com
28th October, 2008, 10:16 AM
goto menu then press 1570 and make sure key emu is on

mark crowe
30th October, 2008, 09:44 PM
anybody help need to download 7.09

mikerd
31st October, 2008, 10:09 AM
Yes its in a UFL, (Unfied Firmware Loader), format. I have put it here for you Digital Kaos - Downloads - The Box Super Firmware V7.09 Beta

chris77
3rd November, 2008, 08:36 PM
how long does it take to update once u go on sly sports 1

satsmo
3rd November, 2008, 10:24 PM
A minute or two once key emu is on and its flashed correctly. If it doesnt update press the default key in the CAS menu.

rikardo
28th November, 2008, 11:41 PM
I have had a Starview 3 super for the past 2 months it?s been working fine with GT_Rom 8.00. Two days ago all the premium channels went off, I have tried re-downloading the GT_Rom 8.00 to the box, I?ve tried selecting different areas for the cable, made sure the EMU is on and I?ve selected the default key in the CAS menu?
I have even tried putting GT_ROM 7.09 but this has the same effect? free channels only.
When a premium channel is selected i.e. sky sports, it just continuously loops round in an update 0% up to 100% without producing a picture at the end of it.

Any Ideas????

smihunga
29th November, 2008, 01:08 PM
Hi Guys How are you doing I am new to this forum and want to Introduce my self and hope I'll get some help with my box starview 3

Fitzgc
29th November, 2008, 02:01 PM
Thanks for all the help - I need it!

blairzy117
29th November, 2008, 02:41 PM
can anyone tell me, whetehr a paid subscription to virgin is needed for the sv3 box to work? i recently moved house and found a connection. im not sure wether it needs to be activated or not. please help.

santosh43
29th November, 2008, 02:54 PM
my rj45 to rs232 cable is not working at all.. any help ?

v1ks
22nd December, 2008, 02:04 PM
Hi Guys,

Some simple instruction on how to for sv3 the super box

__ttp://www.freewebs.com/boxsuper/

LUBO
22nd December, 2008, 04:42 PM
Hi all and i would like to say a very big thankyou to all on here who helped me successfully flash the firmware onto my box super,took a bit of doing but got there eventually,anyway i followed the instructions given on here to update and went in to the installation page and did an autoscan but i cant get in to the cas menu,i have tried entering 1570 but its as if the last digit is not going in and then i cant get into the cas,anybody know if im doing something wrong,or able to point me in the right direction please,thanks.

khenryashley
22nd December, 2008, 05:01 PM
Try this
1. press menu
2. highlight parental control (dont press enter)
3. press info boutton and then enter 1570. you should be in the secret menu
Hit defauly key and then turn emu on

Let me know

LUBO
22nd December, 2008, 06:04 PM
Khenry managed to do it ok now all up and running again,thanks to you and all that have helped me on here,merry christmas.

bella86
22nd December, 2008, 08:10 PM
Hi lads , sorry if i'm repeating stuff here but i just wanted to let you know the software available in downloads worked a treat ....

Here how I done for anyone else that has as limited a knowledge as i do

Downland the software from downloads section
(its the most popular starview 3 download)

Go to the main menu and select factory settings
the code 0000 seems to work for me

Go to install it again
using 1570 on the menu screen to get the hidden menu
Select emu on

Select installation network and scan

It shud take a few minutes after scanning to update and shud be fine after that

kcnbob
29th May, 2009, 02:08 PM
Hi, sorry I'm new to this, I was wondering I have the box super usb (ie v4), when you scan for the channels, does the Sky Box Office channels automatically come up too?
I dont seem to be able to find them..
Thanks for any info! :)

mtv1
29th May, 2009, 02:11 PM
only if your provider is putting them out which i doubt you should have ppv channel which comes on when wwe or special events like boxing

kcnbob
29th May, 2009, 03:08 PM
thanks for your info, I thought it would automatically add, l the channels since I thought the movies continuously broadcast..

kcnbob
29th May, 2009, 11:58 PM
Hi,
I was also wondering, when updating the firmware, what is the logo file for?
it seems to have no use.. :S
(this is probably just me! lol!)

peterg65n
1st July, 2009, 06:59 PM
help anyone please how can i tell if i have starview 1, 2 or three and which file i need thanks in advance

assward99
1st July, 2009, 08:29 PM
I'm having problems with my super, I'm using ver 6.00e_E, Boot ver 8.0

I'll try some of the upgrading suggestions on here and let you know how I go

Roachas
28th March, 2010, 01:34 PM
I have a RS-232c dig reciver super box 3 and cant get any chanels dose anyone no the codes to get it up and running again ??? please

Roachas
28th March, 2010, 01:47 PM
hi i have a dig reciver supper box 3
and it is not working do you or any of you mates no the codes to get it up and running ?? someone please help

cactikid
28th March, 2010, 02:44 PM
have you tried a factory reset and auto scanned your
provider and emu to on, do you see a message waiting for code update. see if your area is listed below

3.7Software is followed by ------- new cards then --------- Nag 3---------NO BOXES WILL WORK (apart for VM boxes)
3.7 Software is for VM boxes only NOT Starview etc

Areas already hit by Nag 3 are at the bottom of list.

Current areas on 3.7

- Aylesbury
- Barnsley (Set to receive new cards)
- Bedfordshire including Bedford Sandy, Biggleswade, Dunstable, Luton (Set to receive new cards)
- Belfast
- Birmingham
- Bradford (Set to receive new cards as part of Barnsley headend)
- Brighton
- Cambridge
- Cardiff
- Casltford (Set to receive new cards)
- Cheltenham
- Chesham
- Cheshire including Widnes
- Chesterfield (Set to receive new cards as part of Nottingham headend)
- Chiltern Hills
- Cleethorpes (Set to receive new cards)
- Clydebank in Scotland (Set to receive new cards as part of Glasgow headend)
- Coventry
- Croxley Green
- Derbyshire
- Doncaster (Set to receive new cards as part of Barnsley headend)
- Dorset including Bournemouth, Poole
- Dudley
- Dunbartonshire in Scotland (Receiving new cards as part of Edinburgh headend)
- Dundee in Scotland (Receiving new cards)
- Durham
- East Anglia
- Essex including Harlow, Romford, Ilford, Rainham, Dagenham, Waltham, Abbey, Loughton, Hornchurch
- Falkirk in Scotland (Receiving new cards as part of Edinburgh headend)
- Fife in Scotland (Receiving new cards as part of Dundee headend)
- Gateshead (Set to receive new cards)
- Glasgow in Scotland (Set to receive new cards)
- Grimsby (Set to receive new cards)
- Halifax (Set to receive new cards as part of Barnsley headend)
- Hampshire including Gosport, Aldershot, Farnborough, (Waterlooville receiving new cards)
- Hartlepool (Set to receive new cards as part of Teesside headend)
- Hertfordshire including Stevenage, Bishops Stortford Watford, Rickmansworth South Hertfordshire, Hitchin, Letchworth, Ware, Hertford, Hoddesdon, Cheshunt, (St Albans, Hatfield receiving new cards as part of Hemel Hempstead headend)
- High Wycombe
- Horley
- Harrogate
- Huddersfield
- Humberside
- Immingham (Set to receive new cards)
- Keighley (Set to receive new cards)
- Kent including Bexley, Bexleyheath, Dartford, Swanley, Ashford, Dover, Folkestone, (Bromley set to receive new cards)
- Kirklees including Dewsbury, Batley, Mirfield
- Lancashire including Chorley, Preston, Burnley, Nelson, Accrington, Colne, Blackburn
- Leamington Spa
- Leeds
- Leicestershire (Set to receive new cards)
- Lincolnshire (Set to receive new cards as part of Nottingham headend)
- Litchfield
- Liverpool
- London 41050 including Harrow, Wembley, Lewisham, Hackney East London, South London, Croydon, Seven Kings, Acton London, Barking, Chingford, Shepherds Bush, Upton Park, Walthamstow, Hounslow, West London, Hayes, Heston, Hillingdon
- Lothian in Scotland including Edinburgh (Receiving new cards)
- Manchester including Swinton, Salford, Stretford, Wigan, (Ashton, Bolton, Burnley, Macclesfield, Runcorn, Stockport and Warrington set to receive new cards)
- Middlesbrough (Set to receive new cards as part of Teesside headend)
- Middlesex including Staines, Enfield, Northwood
- Newcastle (Set to receive new cards as part of Gateshead headend)
- Newcastle-under-Lyme
- Newport
- Northamptonshire
- North Lanarkshire in Scotland including Motherwell, Bells Hill (Set to receive new cards as part of Uddington headend)
- North Shields
- Norwich
- Nottinghamshire (Set to receive new cards)
- Oldham
- Oxford
- Paisley in Scotland (Set to receive new cards as part of Glasgow headend)
- Perth in Scotland (Receiving new cards as part of Dundee headend)
- Peterborough
- Plymouth
- Pontefract (Set to receive new cards as part of Barnsley headend)
- Portsmouth including Cosham (Receiving new cards as part of Solent headend)
- Reading
- Redditch
- Rotherham (Set to receive new cards new cards as part of Barnsley headend)
- Rugby
- Scun'thorpe (Set to receive new cards as part of Grimsby headend)
- Sheffield (Set to receive new cards as part of Barnsley headend)
- Solent (Receiving new cards)
- Southampton
- Southend-on-Sea
- South Humberside (Set to receive new cards as part of Nottingham headend)
- South Lanarkshire in Scotland
- South Shields
- South Tyneside
- South Wales
- Stafford
- St. Helens
- Stockton-on-Tees
- Stoke-on-Trent (Set to receive new cards)
- Sunderland
- Surrey including Guildford, Woking, Frimley, Farnham, Camberley, Epsom, Kingston Upon Thames, Caterham, Hersham
- Sussex
- Swansea
- Swindon
- Teesside (Set to receive new cards)
- Telford
- Tonbridge including Tonbridge wells, Edenbridge
- Uddingston in Scotland (Set to receive new cards)
- Wakefield (Set to receive new cards as part of Barnsley headend)
- Walsall
- Washington (Set to receive new cards as part of Wearside headend)
- Watford
- Wearside (Set to receive new cards)
- Wessex
- West Bromwich
- West Sussex Crawley, Worthing
- Wirral
- Wolverhampton
- York

Areas switched/switching over to Nagra 3

- Acton London
- Ashford
- Aylesbury
- Barking
- Batley
- Bexleyheath
- Bournemouth
- Brighton
- Caterham
- Chesham
- Chiltern Hills
- Chingford
- Crawley
- Dagenham
- Dartford
- Derbyshire
- Dewsbury
- Dover
- East Ham London
- East London
- Edenbridge
- Enfield
- Epsom
- Essex 1 (NTL/Excw parts only)
- Folkestone
- Harrogate
- Hayes
- Hersham
- Heston
- Hillingdon
- Hornchurch
- Hounslow
- Huddersfield (NTL parts only)
- Ilford
- Kirklees
- Leeds
- Loughton
- Middlesex
- Mirfield
- Northwood
- Poole
- Rainham
- Rickmansworth
- Romford (Excw parts only)
- Seven Kings
- Shepherds Bush
- Southampton (Excw parts only)
- South Hertfordshire
- Staines
- St Albans (Excw parts only)
- Surrey (Within M25)
- Sussex
- Swanley
- Tonbridge
- Tonbridge Wells
- Upton Park
- Waltham Abbey
- Walthamstow
- Watford
- Wessex
- West London
- West Yorkshire (NTL parts only)
- Worthing
- York

WOODWARD395
28th April, 2010, 01:51 PM
this has been of great help keep it up it has saved me a lot of time thanks everyone:laugh:

WOODWARD395
28th April, 2010, 02:40 PM
HI CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO GET THE FIRMWARE VER 8.00 AS I CAN'T SEEM TO GET IT ANYWHERE DOES IT WORK WITH THE BOX 3 THANKS :beer:

boomer39
28th April, 2010, 09:22 PM
HI CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO GET THE FIRMWARE VER 8.00 AS I CAN'T SEEM TO GET IT ANYWHERE DOES IT WORK WITH THE BOX 3 THANKS :beer:
a bit of contradiction here, mate.. "been of great help"... then asking for 8.00 firmware for an sv3 , which is 2 years old... you need 8.02 or 8.04... oh.. and where are you???????????????