PDA

View Full Version : Study into near-death experiences

Ham
18th September, 2008, 05:23 PM
Study into near-death experiences

A large study is to examine near-death experiences in cardiac arrest patients.

Doctors at 25 UK and US hospitals will study 1,500 survivors to see if people with no heartbeat or brain activity can have "out of body" experiences.

Some people report seeing a tunnel or bright light, others recall looking down from the ceiling at medical staff.

Towards the light (http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_7622000/7622456.stm)

The study, due to take three years and co-ordinated by Southampton University, will include placing on shelves images that could only be seen from above.

To test this, the researchers have set up special shelving in resuscitation areas. The shelves hold pictures - but they're visible only from the ceiling.

Dr Sam Parnia, who is heading the study, said: "If you can demonstrate that consciousness continues after the brain switches off, it allows for the possibility that the consciousness is a separate entity.

"It is unlikely that we will find many cases where this happens, but we have to be open-minded.

"And if no one sees the pictures, it shows these experiences are illusions or false memories.

"This is a mystery that we can now subject to scientific study."

Dr Parnia works as an intensive care doctor, and felt from his daily duties that science had not properly explored the issue of near-death experiences.

Process of death

He said: "Contrary to popular perception, death is not a specific moment.

"It is a process that begins when the heart stops beating, the lungs stop working and the brain ceases functioning - a medical condition termed cardiac arrest.

"During a cardiac arrest, all three criteria of death are present. There then follows a period of time, which may last from a few seconds to an hour or more, in which emergency medical efforts may succeed in restarting the heart and reversing the dying process.

"What people experience during this period of cardiac arrest provides a unique window of understanding into what we are all likely to experience during the dying process."

Dr Parnia and medical colleagues will analyse the brain activity of 1,500 cardiac arrest survivors, and see whether they can recall the images in the pictures.

Hospitals involved include Addenbrookes in Cambridge, University Hospital in Birmingham and the Morriston in Swansea, as well as nine hospitals in the US.

By Jane Dreaper
Health correspondent, BBC
NewsStory from BBC NEWS:
Published: 2008/09/18 05:00:51 GMT
? BBC MMVIII

Nasnas
6th December, 2008, 12:38 PM
Interesting....Do yiu think we go to heavan though?

spog000
24th February, 2009, 01:14 AM
no you are reborn as a rat or somthing if you'er lucky you get to pick.in my opinion the body is just a vesil in which we interact with the world enrgy is converted frome on form to another:beheaded::manuflag:

Evastar
26th April, 2009, 04:26 PM
I think this sounds really interesting :)

hoganlimerick
26th April, 2009, 04:30 PM
i guess we have got to go somewhere

gmb45
26th April, 2009, 04:42 PM
i guess we have got to go somewhere it would be nice if there was another place u go after death, but personally i think when u dead u dead and thats it, this alcoholic i used to work with allways said to me this is not a rehearsal enjoy life while u can, and did he just, his words where very true dont u think ?

Evastar
26th April, 2009, 04:46 PM
I agree with the enjoy life while you can bit, but i don't agree with the nothing after death bit.

What about all the people that have seen ghosts, or had spiritual experiences?

gmb45
26th April, 2009, 04:51 PM
I agree with the enjoy life while you can bit, but i don't agree with the nothing after death bit.

What about all the people that have seen ghosts, or had spiritual experiences? if people want to believe in the after life etc fair enough, but wheres the proof ?

Evastar
26th April, 2009, 04:52 PM
There's plenty of things that can't be proved scientifically at the moment, for example evolution, the big bang theory etc etc., yet a lot of people take them as fact.

gmb45
26th April, 2009, 05:25 PM
There's plenty of things that can't be proved scientifically at the moment, for example evolution, the big bang theory etc etc., yet a lot of people take them as fact. people will believe what they want to believe, even without facts, as for big bang, evolution (which may be proved if they find the so called missing link) ghosts, afterdeath experiences, jesus, god, and the like will stay as theories for a hell of a long ime yet if not ever.

comfm
27th April, 2009, 12:58 AM
has anyone thought the human brain is similar to a computer, the way it processes data, accept we have free will and and the ability to think etc which makes us more than a biological computer.

so what if god is infact a cosmic intelligence, and design us to mimick the way he works - free will, touch, taste etc,

and this so called tunnel is transfer process of our essence/consciousness (data) to this cosmic intelligence, when we expire.

very IT I know, but its the way I understand it.

Evastar
27th April, 2009, 09:42 AM
So basically we return to source, and possibly might get recycled to come back again and have another go ;)

BRASS EAGLE
27th April, 2009, 09:53 AM
Ive experianced it. One night i feel asleep next to my son.I looked at the clock and it was at 08.00pm.I had this feeling of being lifted from the bed and was floating towards a bright ligjht above the room door. I could see my self laying on the bed fast asleep .I was holding onto the ladder of the bunk beds and pulling myself back towards the bed and saying no i want to stay. I remember it all to well ,when i awoke it was 08.10pm and at first i said He yea beauty that was some f??kin dream. I have had other experiances since ,so it is my belive that there is an after life ,or the brain can play some tricks on you

Evastar
27th April, 2009, 09:59 AM
I have had a number of out of body experiences myself, the first one i remember was when i was in hospital when i was around 20, i clearly remember getting out of the bed and looking out of the window, but when i woke up i was attached to a drip and there was no way i could have walked anywhere. Yet the scenery was exactly as i had seen it, and people i had seen in the hospital grounds confirmed later that they had been there. :)

cactikid
27th April, 2009, 08:56 PM
oh dont like hospitals send me all funny,prefare a bit of distant healing lol:canabis::laugh:

comfm
27th April, 2009, 09:56 PM
i don't mind the nurses, well some of them ;)

Evastar
28th April, 2009, 07:37 AM
Although i guess i've gone a bit off topic there, as that would be more of an out of body experience, or astral travelling, rather than an NDE. :)

gmb45
28th April, 2009, 07:52 AM
So basically we return to source, and possibly might get recycled to come back again and have another go ;) this reminds me of the film soylent green, there is a world food shortage so every 1 who dies all the goodness in their body is taken out and used as a food substitute called soylent green, now thats proper recycling.

Evastar
28th April, 2009, 08:03 AM
I quite liked that movie, although there was another one out around the same time called A Boy and His Dog which i preferred, i don't know if you remember it?

xant14
1st May, 2009, 10:45 PM
I had an out of body experience.... I know your expecting me to tell a joke here, coz I always do, but not this time.....
I had a knock on my head from a bike accident, I wasnt too hurt, just a broken arm. but I was in a bit of a daze, I got home via a friend, and for some reason decided to head south,, dunno why, I have always been a bit of a drifter, but I met the lass who sold me my house from the estate agency in town, and I could see me looking down on her and me taLking, and I was not even looking at her, I was ignoring her, being ignorant. It was wierd, I then went home coz I knew I was a freak,

racin-snake
9th May, 2010, 01:30 AM
no matter what life is or is not
N.D.E. may well be a part of the dying process
as brain functionality still goes on after clinical death is confirmed
a lot of near drowned victims recusitated hear noises and soothing calm feelings or real euphoria
maybe a safety net to let you be calm in the process
like a type of shock ?
but as i see it IMHO
LIFE'S A ONE TAKE MOVIE
but interesting to find out how we tick in the meantime
and if its not too much to ask
it would be nice to cling to the idea of going somewhere better ???

patkins
9th May, 2010, 03:22 PM
Indeed, Life may be a one take movie but a lot of movies have had sequeals. Not always for the better though.

racin-snake
9th May, 2010, 06:56 PM
well pat i aint ever heard of anyone getting a sequel lol
unless ya mean the guy from nazareth a while back:top:
even that's debatable ???
but unless yer a Budist then yer dead and thats it ??