PDA

View Full Version : starview 4 - bad picture quality

heyesy2002
18th September, 2008, 06:10 PM
I recently bought the new starview 4, the box super usb.
I set it up and managed to get a good picture on all channels for about an hour but then the picture started breaking up quite badly.
I really wanted it to be working by Friday afternoon but I'm not confident it will be now.

I set the box up at then end of quite a long co-ax cable and attached to a splitter so when the picture started breaking up I spent ages trying to fix all the connections thinking that there must have been a signal lost somewhere along the line. After much frustration at not being able to fix it I plugged the box into the main line where it comes into the house and did a factory reset and fresh installation. I thought it was working ok at first but after a couple of minutes the picture started breaking up just as bad as before.
When I press the signal button on the remote it shows a level of 64% and a quality of 99%. I noticed that when the picture really broke up the level went down to 0%.

When I plug the same connection into the VM supplied box the picture is perfect.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix my box?

I was going to order a signal booster but if the problem could be with my box I don't want to waste any more money.

Any help would be much appreciated.

djwinc
19th September, 2008, 11:22 AM
Hi Sounds like a bad connection make sure the input cable core and outer cable are not in contact with each other.

Ps Can you please post a link for the software as i cant even get a channel at the moment.:embarassed:

satsmo
19th September, 2008, 12:01 PM
Latest version of firmware 1.02 is in downloads, try that as it was brought out for scanning/signal issues. Still Beta but should help.

forgoodorill
25th September, 2008, 12:46 PM
Hey newbie here, I also have the usb version and am having difficulties. I know the firmware is in the download section ( I don't have access to that.....yet!) but I need to know if I need any specific cable i.e the null modem one for previous versions?. Any help would be fantastic as I'm on the verge of kicking the cat. All I have is the box (with all the supplied leads) and a usb flash drive. cheers in advance

satsmo
25th September, 2008, 09:05 PM
You dont need a null modem cable. Just download the firmware to the USB stick and then put stick in box and flash from that. There is a readme with the firmware.

forgoodorill
26th September, 2008, 06:01 PM
Cheers satsmo I've done that but It still doesn't scan for channels. Is it now safe to assume the box is faulty or is anyone else having this problem?

crazy-trousers
27th September, 2008, 05:56 PM
heyesy, same prob exactly as you. any answers yet mate?

satsmo
27th September, 2008, 07:06 PM
Presuming you both have a live cable feed and are scanning from the direct feed? Is the coax in the cable in RF socket on the back of the box? Also press menu, system setup, system info. Post what it says please.

crazy-trousers
27th September, 2008, 10:31 PM
Hi Satsmo
mine says
Model id c500
SW version 1.02 beta
boot version b-11
date 15 sep 2008

What difference does it make if you do the scan from the direct feed please? Ive been doing it while on the splitter.

forgoodorill
28th September, 2008, 12:21 PM
Just done a factory reset and put the firmware back on and low and behold it works. Thats for your time and patience satsmo :beer:

cactikid
28th September, 2008, 12:21 PM
i have been told if ur updating sv4 to factory reset first and let box reboot before u install next vers. then reboot and autoscan again.

nsw9154
16th November, 2008, 07:24 AM
:goodpost: it sounds like heysy2002 is having the same problem as me mine was working perfect for a week then it went belly up on the 13th nov this post is a few weeks before me in september - i am thinking now that the tuner is falty could be a falty batch i will ring the supplier up on monday i will let you all know the results thanks for all your help every one

questing222
18th November, 2008, 02:45 PM
i had this problem but the new .2 firmware seems to have fixed it.

nsw9154
19th November, 2008, 04:33 AM
i have tried both 1-01 and 1-02 to no joy still blocky picture it looks like chubby browns coat with cirpy sound lol

shami232
19th November, 2008, 05:58 PM
Hello
I load the file from starview section V1.02 for my starview 4. I manage to get all the channels but picture flickers too much and I am unable to watch any thing.Any idea many Thanks

I recently bought the new starview 4, the box super usb.
I set it up and managed to get a good picture on all channels for about an hour but then the picture started breaking up quite badly.
I really wanted it to be working by Friday afternoon but I'm not confident it will be now.

I set the box up at then end of quite a long co-ax cable and attached to a splitter so when the picture started breaking up I spent ages trying to fix all the connections thinking that there must have been a signal lost somewhere along the line. After much frustration at not being able to fix it I plugged the box into the main line where it comes into the house and did a factory reset and fresh installation. I thought it was working ok at first but after a couple of minutes the picture started breaking up just as bad as before.
When I press the signal button on the remote it shows a level of 64% and a quality of 99%. I noticed that when the picture really broke up the level went down to 0%.

When I plug the same connection into the VM supplied box the picture is perfect.

Does anyone know what I can do to fix my box?

I was going to order a signal booster but if the problem could be with my box I don't want to waste any more money.

Any help would be much appreciated.

satsmo
19th November, 2008, 10:07 PM
Check all connections including splitter if you are using one. Press S.L. on remote and post back what it says please.

nsw9154
20th November, 2008, 05:32 AM
on my PVR - it is 85% and 99% - on my sv4 it is anything between 45 to 61% signal but quality is 98% that is why i have sent my sv4 back for a replacement unit - i hope i get one midlands starview mmmmmmmm lol