PDA

View Full Version : Audi 2010 1.8 TFSI flash back to stock

Meekon
5th September, 2019, 01:30 PM
Hi all,

I need my ECU flashing back to stock (I believe it's MED9.1) and the tuning company said it's possible to do this so the dealer won't be able to detect it had a previous remap. I presume they do this by lowering the flash counter back to the original value before the map.

They say this is achieved via OBD port, but from what I read the flash counter cannot be changed via OBD? I don't have any confidence in them as they said they "freeze the TD marker" when flashing, but there is no such thing. The TD1 flag is something Audi store against the vehical in their database if they find it to be modified.

Can anyone shed any light on if it's possible to reset the ECU to stock so the previous map cannot be detected by dealer?

Thanks,

Meekon

gas43
5th September, 2019, 07:32 PM
Hi all,

I need my ECU flashing back to stock (I believe it's MED9.1) and the tuning company said it's possible to do this so the dealer won't be able to detect it had a previous remap. I presume they do this by lowering the flash counter back to the original value before the map.

They say this is achieved via OBD port, but from what I read the flash counter cannot be changed via OBD? I don't have any confidence in them as they said they "freeze the TD marker" when flashing, but there is no such thing. The TD1 flag is something Audi store against the vehical in their database if they find it to be modified.

Can anyone shed any light on if it's possible to reset the ECU to stock so the previous map cannot be detected by dealer?

Thanks,

Meekon

The ecu is med17.5 and I think that need open ecu and a good tuner maybe can reset the flash counter...
You must ask a good tuner.

bazaa
7th September, 2019, 07:19 PM
I think you will find the original CVN is retained to stop td1 flag at the dealer .
I believe kess can roll back flash counters by obd and other well known tools.
A dealer would not be interested in or flag a td1 once it is out of warranty as yours is any extra warranty is normally with a 3rd party and the dealer is more interested in just getting paid for the rectification work.

Meekon
12th September, 2019, 10:39 AM
Hi thanks for your replies. The tuner mapped it back to stock, but they were unable to give me a straight answer when I asked if they restored the original map. I asked if they restored the original backup but they just said it now has same BHP and NM as stock, but from driving I can tell it's not the stock map, although it does have less power.

Although the car is out of warranty, Audi will rebuild the engine since it is one of the TFSI engines from 2008-2011 that have the piston ring design issue. It has full history and I'm sure they will either pay 100% or at least 80% of the cost to replace rings, pistons, conrods etc. But I only have one chance for them to accept the claim and I neeed to be certain it won't flag a TD1 once they connect to ODIS. From reading other forums, Audi have refused all claims for this piston ring issue if the car has been remapped.

I beleive the tuner used CMD-OBD to map the car, and if I assume no ECU backup was taken, is there anyway to restore the ECU to OEM map and retain the CVN to match that expected by Audi? If I find an ECU backup from another unit can this be used in anway way, and then use KESS etc to roll back flash counters?

Addition: I've just spoken to the tuner again and they said they restored the orignal backup via OBD using CMD OBD and the "TD marker" was frozen, and I asked is this the "flash counter" and they said yes. Looking at Flashtec's website, CMD can't even programme the MED17.5 ECU via OBD, and needs boot mode. I'm not sure what to believe now!

I presume if the backup is restored, the CVN will be correct and I just need to use KESS to roll back the flash counter now?