PDA

View Full Version : Bench flashing microprocessor 03-07 GM truck cluster

Nrmskate
13th September, 2019, 04:12 PM
Hey guys, been rebuilding 03-07 GM clusters for a while now and feel like I have hit a plateau. I do the typical reflow of solder, new steppers, bulb replacement, odometer correction, hours correction, and can add trans temp. The limiting factor is that I haven't been able to flash firmware to the microprocessor on the bench. I have a tech2 and can flash in vehicle. My question is, should I be able to bench flash via SPS through the data wire only? If not, am I looking at building a harness to carry class 2 can bus data from OBD2>ECM>IPC? This has always been a curiosity for me.

Thanks all.

morrisgauge
15th September, 2019, 03:04 AM
Ask "Clusters".

clusters
15th September, 2019, 03:16 AM
You can flash them on the bench no problem, power, ground and Class2 straight to the cluster.

Nrmskate
16th September, 2019, 05:47 PM
Much thanks! I knew the Tech 2 could cast class 2 signal for sweep testing and whatnot, but wasn't sure about flashing. Very much appreciate the response!

Killer76
17th September, 2019, 12:26 AM
Clusters out of curiosity, what are you using to flash them with. A VCM (MDI2)or J2534 and subscription to SPS or some other way?

I've got a cable I made some time ago that's powers and grounds with a DLC tied into it with the class 2 lines hooked up. I use it for hooking a scan tool to the cluster if needed for data and gauge sweeps. I always assumed i could use it to bench flash a cluster with my Cardaq Plus2 if needed. Just haven't ever needed to. Haven't seen a cluster yet worth using a subscription to SPS on yet. Is there a way to copy a program from one cluster to another?

Not trying to thread hijack. OP's question just had me curious.

clusters
17th September, 2019, 02:11 AM
That year can still be done with TIS2000 if you have a compatible interface, with no need for the subscription. MDI, MDI2 and Tech2 will work for sure, not sure about the Cardaq you would have to ask DrewTech. I know the MongoosePro GM 2 won't work with TIS2000, tried it. :)

I don't flash them, the only reason would be to add a DIC.

Nrmskate
17th September, 2019, 03:24 PM
I get quite a few people who purchase junkyard base model clusters for GM trucks and want them in their Denali's/Escalade's/Steering wheel control'ed GM trucks. Do you not get customers like that where they need them flashed with their VIN options?

clusters
17th September, 2019, 03:38 PM
Couldn't be bothered with that, and it is very easy to brick a cluster if you try and flash it with the wrong file.

Killer76
18th September, 2019, 12:26 AM
I actually own operate a salvage yard. Ill do mileage correction and cluster repairs(steppers and bulbs) for a customer but that's it.

MasterCodein
25th September, 2019, 05:42 PM
Great found my answer with the search button, thank you

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk