PDA

View Full Version : vauxhall display emulation

estate
29th December, 2009, 11:20 PM
is there anyway i can rig up some sort of display so i can check how many attempts have been made at code entry and if the codes are correct? possibly using an old display from something like a mk3 astra or vectra? i see some people mention emulators how do they work? how do they connect to the unit and the pc?

PremierD
29th December, 2009, 11:28 PM
is there anyway i can rig up some sort of display so i can check how many attempts have been made at code entry and if the codes are correct? possibly using an old display from something like a mk3 astra or vectra? i see some people mention emulators how do they work? how do they connect to the unit and the pc?

Very simple mate .... Go to scrappy ... Cut out Radio and display harness from Vectra and Mk3 astra... The display plugs are different ... Then pare the loom back till you get what you need ....

estate
29th December, 2009, 11:55 PM
i've got 4 vectra's and 2 astra's here to get rid of :) so just strip the looms back, i'll put a meter on them before i take it out.

Meat-Head
30th December, 2009, 12:26 AM
the word on the street is you have to programme the info cluster on the vectra b's

think but not 100% sure that the vauxhall have a label on the back of the set staing the connections.

PremierD
30th December, 2009, 08:31 AM
the word on the street is you have to programme the info cluster on the vectra b's

think but not 100% sure that the vauxhall have a label on the back of the set staing the connections.

All that is needed mate ...is a Vectra B display.. If you Check the wires running from the plug down to the radio .. you only need switched +...-.. clock/data/..and mrq...You can cut the rest out...You then get the newer plug from the radio for display..(Yellow.)...And splice it into the older type On scl/sdl/mrq.... then you can test the newer type radios Car 2002/2003 /2004 ....ECT.....( if unsure it is on the top of most V/hall Radios )As you stated mate ....ji ust found a similar thread where you suggested the very same solution mate ....

Iwould be inclined to go with a chainsaw to a scrap yard, and carefully rip the shit ouuta another car, and take that radio and that display for good meausre.

If you try to mix and match and old/new type plug you will get 'code' you enter the code, it then work and you will end up with just the code on the display, no station name.
meat-head must of lost a spanner again
z786: You knw i still cant figure out most of the things you say, you need to stop the riddles!!
Dajan2009:Maybe even organize a advanced course in Meatheadshire?
obdmaster: OH YE MEAT-HEAD
dik: Oy meaty brain
PremierD: OH YE MEAT-HEAD
lupu_sandu: You are sick man
manxspud: 1st rate funny f**ker ust found a similar thread where you suggested the very same solution mate ....

If that happens mate switch the radio on while holding 3+5 presets .. It Should give you 8 digit..then 10 digit.. If it comes up with 8 first .. then it needs to be 10 .. to let the display work ... and vicea versa .... let the presets go ... you should the see the stations .....

estate
30th December, 2009, 10:42 AM
ok great, like i said, i've got a few cars here at the unit that i can strip, i'll probably try an astra display as well because these are smaller and neater, so all i'll need is, +,-,and data? probably have to ground out the grey/green illumination wire too i expect?

PremierD
30th December, 2009, 12:19 PM
ok great, like i said, i've got a few cars here at the unit that i can strip, i'll probably try an astra display as well because these are smaller and neater, so all i'll need is, +,-,and data? probably have to ground out the grey/green illumination wire too i expect?

Use the Vectra one mate ... I don't think the newer ones work on the smaller display ... And you need +,-,sda,scl,mrq...

bonus2010
1st June, 2010, 02:22 PM
Hi PremierD and fellow members

Liked your posts with regard to display for Vauxhall radio, so thought I'd visit the scrappy and rip out one of those displays from a Vauxhall Vectra (It was an X reg, is
it a Vauxhall B?, no sure) It did have a Delco CDR500 installed.

Wish I had refreshed myself by looking at your post prior - but after having a fight with the Vectra, and the scrappy thinking that I had taken up residence in his yard, and listning to comments like "Are you serving yout time on this!" eventually got to the display module concerned.

Thought it would be simple to physically trace the cable from the radio harness to the display - eh.. naw...This is where I realised I had forgotten the chainsaw, because this cable seemed to be spirling to every neuk and cranny, and attaching itself to everything else... So I had a complete and utter idiotic brainwave, and said I'll just cut the harness at the radio end and again at the display module end.... and because the wires are all colour coded, thought I should be able to marry them up.

So when I got home and looked at the loom from both the display and radio harness ends, news came in that said; 'NAW.....' It wasn't a good idea to cut harness.. Cause - there were 4 wires attached to display & radio plugs that are all colour coded 'brown with white trace'. (SDA,SCL,MRQ
and D1)

However, on closer examination of the wires, and removing that grey spongy sticky sleeving, that covered the wires, I noticed that a black, blue and red dye had been applied to individual wires. Voila - we have lift off, otherwise finding a pinout location diagram of a yellow display plug was
gonna be a nightmare. Had visions of re-visiting said scrap yard with chainsaw, and doing a right job!

With ref to your diagram, I've managed to get SDA,SCL,MRQ and D1 connected directly to the yellow display plug. (from what you say, reckon don't need D1)

Here's where I need help, and it is to identify the (+) and (-) on the display plug, as the display module obviosuly needs power.

The yellow display plug has 26 locations, has 14 wires connected (purpose of 4 are definately accounted for)
leaving:

(main colour/trace)
1 RED
2 BLACK
3 Brown/yellow
4 BROWN
5 grey/yellow
6 black/white
7 blue
8 blue/white
9 red/white
10 blue/red

Applying the guessing game, I'd think that red would be (+), and brown would be (-), although I know black can often used a ign feed on vauxhall.

Just wondering if you or other members could remember or could look at your display module to confirm. (in hoping its a yellow plug). I've never liked to rely on wire colours, preferring to power probe, but in a scrappy, where the vehicle has battery removed - its no possible.

Any help - would be very much appreciated.
And a big thank you to everyone for reading my long.... story

Cheers.

bonus2010
1st June, 2010, 08:54 PM
Managed to power up display... using Red Black & Brown.
The display just shows the date ...1997, and doesn't communicate with the radio,

Using a CDR500 VDO and not the DELCO, but reckon it should still work, as I've interchanged these many times
on vauxhall vectras.

Gotta be a problem with SDA,SCL, MRQ,
Anyways - away for a pint now, had enough of it.. maybe sell the dam display module on fleabay.. Emmm..