PDA

View Full Version : VW Golf mk3 dash problem

R32
30th December, 2009, 02:00 PM
Hello.

I have a VW Golf Mk3 dash that I changed the mileage on but while I reprogrammed eeprom something happen to the clock. It doesn’t display the time anymore, also when i put it back in the car the speedo wasn’t indicating over 40km. The dash code is 1H6 919 033 BD.

Thanks

MSolen
30th December, 2009, 02:16 PM
what is manufacturer ?? MotoMeter, VDO or TRW ??

dashradio
30th December, 2009, 06:11 PM
Hi, did you save the original data from the 93c46 ? If so put it back in and see what happens, post result ?

yasser
30th December, 2009, 11:48 PM
Here exact 033 BD

Regards
Yasser.

R32
30th December, 2009, 11:58 PM
Hello.

I actually didnt get to reprogram eeprom, so the mileage is still the same. The make of the dash is VDO.

I have this DOS program and a home made cable that I am trying to change the mileage with and when I try to reprogram mileage the dash displays "-- P --" on the mileage display but the mileage doesnt change.

What actually happen is that when I tried to reprogram eeprom I connected the cable the wrong way and it did something to the clock.

Thanks

Meat-Head
31st December, 2009, 12:07 AM
change.

What actually happen is that when I tried to reprogram eeprom I connected the cable the wrong way and it did something to the clock.

Thanks

any chance of some photos so we can see what you have done, then maybee will have a better idea.

R32
31st December, 2009, 12:18 AM
Here exact 033 BD

Regards
Yasser.

Hello. I am new to this so can you please let me know whats in the file you have attached and how do I use them.

Thanks

drz
31st December, 2009, 12:28 AM
As I understood, you tried to change odometer directly on pins on the back of the table. That's what happens when you are doing something and you don't know what you are doing. This table is out of order, but you can fix it. Take out eeprom from the table, write good dump and the table will work.

drz
31st December, 2009, 12:32 AM
Give the table to someone who knows to fix it, otherwise you could burn it.

yasser
31st December, 2009, 03:11 AM
Actualy he will not burn it, but maybe he can loose too much time in tryings.
R32, if your coputer is fast you have to speed it down.
Something about 100MHz orf lower CPU speed.
I use same dos program on my Dell D600 on 1.6Ghz.
I make speed down via slowdown.exe
I'll upload it, so You can try.
Use this to start program
" slowdowsn /s:100 "

If vdo.exe not do sometnihg firts time , try 4-5 times.
Do not worry.
In worst case you have to remove eeprom and reprogram it. Also you can program it with not desolder, just with test clip.

Regards.

R32
31st December, 2009, 05:34 AM
any chance of some photos so we can see what you have done, then maybee will have a better idea.

Hello.

I have attached a photo of the dash.

Thanks

R32
31st December, 2009, 05:39 AM

Actualy he will not burn it, but maybe he can loose too much time in tryings.
R32, if your coputer is fast you have to speed it down.
Something about 100MHz orf lower CPU speed.
I use same dos program on my Dell D600 on 1.6Ghz.
I make speed down via slowdown.exe
I'll upload it, so You can try.
Use this to start program
" slowdowsn /s:100 "

If vdo.exe not do sometnihg firts time , try 4-5 times.
Do not worry.
In worst case you have to remove eeprom and reprogram it. Also you can program it with not desolder, just with test clip.

Regards.

Hello.

So by reprograming eeprom via back of dash everything will start working? Alsofound that the rev counter is not working. What about the .bin files you have posted. What are they for?

Thanks

yasser
31st December, 2009, 09:51 AM
Did you try files I was uploaded or not?

Clock can not be repaired via connector back of the dash.

drz
31st December, 2009, 07:31 PM
Of course he didn't. He said he doesn't know what is dump and what he should do with it, so how do you expect he tried it.

yasser
1st January, 2010, 01:04 AM
I expect if someone register in this forum and need some solution and in this case talking about dos program and back connector of dash , so this guy must have at least little experience, so when we talk about "dump" i think he must know what is that :-)

vict.guez
1st January, 2010, 01:28 AM
Hi, its pretty obvious that the problem is the data of the serial EEPROM, I've experienced similar troubles when is set a defective connection. I suggest you to extract the EEPROM from the circuit and reprogram a totally new data, or get a 93c46 chip that you know is in good shape and reprogram it, I can send you a data but right now I'm at home and I can do it a day after tomorrow when I go to my job.

R32
1st January, 2010, 08:26 AM
I expect if someone register in this forum and need some solution and in this case talking about dos program and back connector of dash , so this guy must have at least little experience, so when we talk about "dump" i think he must know what is that :-)

Hello.

I have used the SLOWDOWN.exe program and set the s:100 and that worked ok, but when I used the VDO.exe it did the same thing, starts to displays "-- P --" and stays like that till I remove power and the mileage doesn?t change. What does "-- P --" stand for?

I will try read the eeprom directly without disordering and change it, then reprogram. The .bin file you have posted earlier, eg. 206xxx.bin and 206xxx_sw.bin, or 138412.bin and 138412_sw.bin are they dumps from 93c46 chip?

Now to fix the clock problem what do I have to do?

Thanks

yasser
1st January, 2010, 10:45 AM
So those files, I uploaded before is from same dash.
There is not same dash number , but whithout digital clock ;)

You have to put some from files i posted in yout eeprom dash.
Because some programers read eeprom swaped, so that why I send normal and swapped bin files.
First try normal, and if not work good then try with same milleage but swapped.

R32
1st January, 2010, 10:49 AM
So those files, I uploaded before is from same dash.
There is not same dash number , but whithout digital clock ;)

You have to put some from files i posted in yout eeprom dash.
Because some programers read eeprom swaped, so that why I send normal and swapped bin files.
First try normal, and if not work good then try with same milleage but swapped.

Hello.

Also what program do you use to reprogram eeprom. I have PSEEP2.exe, a DOS program and you connect eeprom chip direct to Priter serial port.

Thanks

yasser
1st January, 2010, 11:06 AM
I think you have to buy eeprom programmer ;)

Look in google, there are too many programers for sale.
But if you have not programmer, and if you have not interest in working in this busines, then i think it will be much cheap for you to go in some carradio decoding service, so they can repaire for you.

R32
1st January, 2010, 11:28 AM
I think you have to buy eeprom programmer ;)

Look in google, there are too many programers for sale.
But if you have not programmer, and if you have not interest in working in this busines, then i think it will be much cheap for you to go in some carradio decoding service, so they can repaire for you.

Hello.

Attached is the DOS program for reprogramming 93cxx eeproms and a .pdf file showing how to connect eeprom chip to printer serial port.

Let me know what you think. :hmmmm2:

Thanks

yasser
1st January, 2010, 11:46 AM
Maybe it will work.
You have to try it.

It si verry simple iinterface, so you can build it for 5 minutes :-)

Good luck ;)

Post result

R32
5th January, 2010, 09:58 AM
Hello.

Have tried to program the eeprom on the PCB with PSEEP.exe but it didn’t work, so I have ordered some new 93c46 eeproms and I will try program new one.

What I also need is the "dump" from the microprocessor PD75308GF in the 1H6 919 033 BD dash.

Can anyone help me? Please.

Thanks

yasser
5th January, 2010, 05:40 PM
All of your problems is in 93C46.
You can't program eeprom???
1. did you check connection - sometimes not correct.
2.Can you READ eeprom, or you can not read and write eeprom? - if you can read it, but can't write it, so maybe it is because of the programmer. Sometimes problem is in eeprom.

There is other simple interface programmer in one russian site. Before years i make it, and it works fine.
Now I'll look for site information.

http://atprog.boom.ru/Sindex.html

Also it have good visual interface ;)

Regards
Yasser.

drz
5th January, 2010, 10:49 PM
Hello.

What I also need is the "dump" from the microprocessor PD75308GF in the 1H6 919 033 BD dash.

Thanks

I am very interested why do you need this dump? You don't know what to do with dump for 9346 and now you are asking for something you have never heard if it exist. I will tell you once again, the best solution is to give the table to a person who knows to fix it.

dreamrunner
6th January, 2010, 02:30 AM
Hello.

I actually didnt get to reprogram eeprom, so the mileage is still the same. The make of the dash is VDO.

I have this DOS program and a home made cable that I am trying to change the mileage with and when I try to reprogram mileage the dash displays "-- P --" on the mileage display but the mileage doesnt change.

Thanks

Hi,

if it shows -P- its (normaly) programming. But VDO.exe can take sometimes over 30min! untill it changes the milage. I had this Problem myself; sometimes it only takes a couple seconds, anothertime it takes forever If you lose Power or the conection to the Dash as long as the -P- is shown it can mess up your dump, sometims the chip:( How long did you wait when the dashbord was connected?

yasser
6th January, 2010, 07:56 AM
:-)

He have problem with CLOCK.
While programing something is hapend, so now clock on dash does not working.
So now he have to open dash, desolder eeprom and put working bin file inside.

R32
6th January, 2010, 11:21 AM
Hello drz.

I actually went to the vw dealers and asked them to fix the dash for me but they said they can’t do it. Also looked around for someone who fixes\calibrates dashboards here in NZ but no luck, so I have to do it myself.

So does the micro have a dump in it? I thought it needs a dump or code to make it work to your needs.

Thanks

R32
6th January, 2010, 11:51 AM
Hi,

if it shows -P- its (normaly) programming. But VDO.exe can take sometimes over 30min! untill it changes the milage. I had this Problem myself; sometimes it only takes a couple seconds, anothertime it takes forever If you lose Power or the conection to the Dash as long as the -P- is shown it can mess up your dump, sometims the chip:( How long did you wait when the dashbord was connected?

Hello dreamrunner.

The longest I have waited while "-- P --" was displayed on the mileage lcd was about 3 min then I removed power to dash. Because it took so long I thought it looked up or lost comms to dash.

Hey Yasser, I have ordered some new eeproms from Farnell and I think I can get a eeprom programmer from one of my mates. Just have to wait till he comes back from Xmas holiday or I will try program with PSEEP.exe.

Thanks

cveti72
6th January, 2010, 01:58 PM
This is 100% of 1H6 919 033 BD

drz
6th January, 2010, 09:57 PM
R32,
If it is so, the best for you is to make the Pony prog (it is cheap, you can find all you need from their site), take out 9346 eeprom from table, write dump from cveti72, put it back on table and you will solve all your problems.

R32
11th January, 2010, 04:13 PM
R32,
If it is so, the best for you is to make the Pony prog (it is cheap, you can find all you need from their site), take out 9346 eeprom from table, write dump from cveti72, put it back on table and you will solve all your problems.

Hello dzr.

I have reprogrammed eeprom with dump from cveti72, and all good. I didn?t put the rev counter and the speedo indicator in to test them but I?m sure they will work. Also changed dump from cveti72 to display the mileage I need.

Thanks

R32
11th January, 2010, 04:27 PM
Hi,

Hello dreamrunner.

After I change mileage by reprogramming eeprom, I tried to change mileage up by 1000km with VDO.exe, just to see if it works but it didn?t change it. I have left the dash on displaying ??P --? for about 2 hours and nothing. What should happen after reprogramming successful? Does the dash reboot and displays new mileage?

Also can someone post a copy of vdo.exe and what pins on the serial port I have to connect to (just what to make sure that the info I have is correct).

Thanks

drz
11th January, 2010, 10:35 PM
I am not sure, but I think that after successfull programming you should hear some noises from the table. Whatever, when you put the table in the car, new km is on the display. If it is not, something is wrong writed in the eeprom. Now you have to repeat all - take out eeprom, write dump, take back eeprom, put the table in the car and DO NOT TOUCH anything else.

R32
12th January, 2010, 09:45 AM
I am not sure, but I think that after successfull programming you should hear some noises from the table. Whatever, when you put the table in the car, new km is on the display. If it is not, something is wrong writed in the eeprom. Now you have to repeat all - take out eeprom, write dump, take back eeprom, put the table in the car and DO NOT TOUCH anything else.

Well actually nothing happens to the dash. It only displays "-- P --" and thats it. After I reset the power dash will display same km and cloack will reset to 12:00.

Thanks

R32
14th January, 2010, 10:59 AM
Hello dreamrunner, drz and yasser.

I have managed to adjust the km with the VDO.exe and I also got that PSEEP.exe 93c46 eeprom program to work.

The problem was my computer!...:banghead:. Even when I was running the slowdown.exe program that yasser posted it didnt work, so what I did is I got a Chicony Laptop model: nb9800d, very old laptop, I think it has a 33MHz processor...LOL, anyway with this machine both VDO.exe and PSEEP.exe programs worked.

I have tested speedo and rev counter and they work to.

Thanks a lot guys for all your support.

illestibor
7th May, 2010, 07:14 PM
I have the same clock problem but is resolved with that correct eeprom contetnt.only thing that i can't able to modify because i always get error.probably the algoritm is not exactly beacuse i give only lines in km places...

illestibor
10th May, 2010, 06:13 PM
can send me anybody an eeprom content from
1H6 919 033 BM dash.t
he type is vdo.the problem that rpm meter does not work......

thanks advanced...

crackervette
11th August, 2010, 06:24 AM
I have also tried pseep2.exe with no luck.