PDA

View Full Version : AK90+ EWS4.4 Problems...

jtanner
21st October, 2019, 09:39 AM
I have the AK90+ software, using AK90+ 3.19 software. I also have the EWS4 adapter so I don't have to solder wires each time.

I have made about 30+ keys on 30+ EWS3 modules and all works fine. Read EWS, save bin, write keys, then tick the added keys and write back to EWS - always worked, but now I need to do EWS4 and I'm having problems...

I can read the EWS4 fine, I was able to unlock a key and write back to the EWS module. I was also able to read the data, save the bin, then write the data to a different EWS4 module (effectively cloning it) and it worked... so far so good, BUT, and here's where I'm having a problem.

I want to add new keys, I tick 2 boxes that were unused to add the keys. I write back to EWS, it takes a little while and says "Write OK". But it doesn't actually do anything... as in, the 2 new keys I added are NOT in fact added. They are not ticked when I re-read the EWS, and putting the module in the car, only the original keys work (as expected) but not the new ones. No matter what I do or try, it never "accepts" new keys even though it says "Write OK".

What I can't figure out, is, how come locking/unlocking a "used" key works, how come I can clone the EWS data to a different EWS module -> Proving that the Writing IS writing, and yet it refuses to actually ADD a new key to the EWS module (As in, if I tick to activate a new key slot - I obviously write to the key too (PCF Chip) and state it's key number)

Any thoughts?

Is there better more reliable hardware out there but at a budget price? I can't afford £400+ for a VVDI tool.

I make keys for people for free, they just buy the blank keys from China - I do this as a hobby not as a commercial thing so I don't make money from it, hence why I can't afford the expensive tools

p1et
21st October, 2019, 09:52 AM
I make keys for people for free, they just buy the blank keys from China - I do this as a hobby not as a commercial thing so I don't make money from it, hence why I can't afford the expensive tools

Well sorry but I think because of that noone is willing to help you... It's professional forum and we do not work for free...

brend
21st October, 2019, 09:54 AM
Welcome in DK after 10 years!!

I have the AK90+ software, using AK90+ 3.19 software. Ircial thing so I don't make can't afford the expensive .................................................. ......tools

jtanner
21st October, 2019, 10:52 AM
Well sorry but I think because of that noone is willing to help you... It's professional forum and we do not work for free...

Apologies then, I didn’t realize it was a professionals only forum, I thought it also had experienced helpful people who might have had this problem and can say if it’s problem with hardware or something.

FWIW: I do know there are professional and “insiders” here. I purchased xdiag pro from a member last year.

Welcome in DK after 10 years!!

Ha I forgot I was even a member. I was searching google which took me here and then my password manager told me I have logon details saved.

Then I realized this is the forum I used when I purchased xdiag pro subscription last year

kiszka
21st October, 2019, 11:01 AM
Apologies then, I didn’t realize it was a professionals only forum, I thought it also had experienced helpful people who might have had this problem and can say if it’s problem with hardware or something.

FWIW: I do know there are professional and “insiders” here. I purchased xdiag pro from a member last year.

Ha I forgot I was even a member. I was searching google which took me here and then my password manager told me I have logon details saved.

Then I realized this is the forum I used when I purchased xdiag pro subscription last year
you must provide the read ewsprom ews, new keys to say something

jtanner
21st October, 2019, 11:41 AM
you must provide the read ewsprom ews, new keys to say something

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean?

I used PCF7935 Transponder, I wrote the keys ok, and when I test key via ak90 software it read correctly, so the keys are coded correctly, but now I need to enable them and that's where the problem is, when I write back to EWS, even though I have ticked the new keys and I then press write to ews, after I re-read it, none of they keys I ticked are ticked.

Before:

I press exit, I then Write Key (x2) and say to use 4 and 6. Both keys write correctly - I confirm using handheld ZedBull (Clone). It has the correct VIN and key number.

I then enable the keys:

And then press "Write Back to EWS". After some time it says "Write OK".

I then unplug the device from computer, plug it back in to computer, restart software, click Read EWS ... and it just shows exactly the same as when I started:

kiszka
21st October, 2019, 11:48 AM
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean?

I used PCF7935 Transponder, I wrote the keys ok, and when I test key via ak90 software it read correctly, so the keys are coded correctly, but now I need to enable them and that's where the problem is, when I write back to EWS, even though I have ticked the new keys and I then press write to ews, after I re-read it, none of they keys I ticked are ticked.

Before:

I press exit, I then Write Key (x2) and say to use 4 and 6. Both keys write correctly - I confirm using handheld ZedBull (Clone). It has the correct VIN and key number.

I then enable the keys:

And then press "Write Back to EWS". After some time it says "Write OK".

I then unplug the device from computer, plug it back in to computer, restart software, click Read EWS ... and it just shows exactly the same as when I started:

needed is to read the EEPROM ews and keys new

venceslau
21st October, 2019, 04:04 PM
As others have tried to mention here the key slot needs to be new (unused) and you don't need to write back to EWS unless you're trying to renew key position.

To make a key from an unused slot you simply read the EWS eeprom and program the key itself from eeprom. You only need to write back to eeprom if you are trying to overwrite an existing position (which you must mark unused).

As for a more affordable solution to reading EWS eeprom I use xprog 5.5.5 and it works flawlessly. Only caveat is that you still have to use AK90+ to load the eeprom bin and program the keys so it's a two step procedure. But in my case I was never able to make AK90+ read ews eeprom and I gave up trying.

So try programming a key into an unused slot and don't worry about writing the eeprom back. Key words being unused slot.

Good luck

jtanner
21st October, 2019, 04:23 PM
As others have tried to mention here the key slot needs to be new (unused) and you don't need to write back to EWS unless you're trying to renew key position.

To make a key from an unused slot you simply read the EWS eeprom and program the key itself from eeprom. You only need to write back to eeprom if you are trying to overwrite an existing position (which you must mark unused).

As for a more affordable solution to reading EWS eeprom I use xprog 5.5.5 and it works flawlessly. Only caveat is that you still have to use AK90+ to load the eeprom bin and program the keys so it's a two step procedure. But in my case I was never able to make AK90+ read ews eeprom and I gave up trying.

So try programming a key into an unused slot and don't worry about writing the eeprom back. Key words being unused slot.

Good luck

oooooh, that's interesting! I was always lead to believe you had to enable an unused key slot in the EWS for it to be recognised as active. That's what I've always done for EWS3 modules. That's also what all the AK90 how-to guides I found say too. Read the EWS, write keys, enable them in EWS, then write back to ews.

I'll have to test that theory another day then... what you're saying is, if I write the keys - using my previous pics as an example, as Key 6 and Key 7, they will just work? I don't have to do anything in EWS?

Thanks for the info. I did install xprog previously whilst trying to figure stuff out, but I don't have a clue on how to use it. I just see the hex of everything. I don't see how I would then analyse it etc.

venceslau
21st October, 2019, 04:34 PM
oooooh, that's interesting! I was always lead to believe you had to enable an unused key slot in the EWS for it to be recognised as active. That's what I've always done for EWS3 modules. That's also what all the AK90 how-to guides I found say too. Read the EWS, write keys, enable them in EWS, then write back to ews.

I'll have to test that theory another day then... what you're saying is, if I write the keys - using my previous pics as an example, as Key 6 and Key 7, they will just work? I don't have to do anything in EWS?

Thanks for the info. I did install xprog previously whilst trying to figure stuff out, but I don't have a clue on how to use it. I just see the hex of everything. I don't see how I would then analyse it etc.A key slot is marked used by the EWS software internally as soon as it sees a key that it recognizes to belong to that slot. Manually marking a key used does not make sense, but marking it unused does.

For xprog, you can either save the hex.bin and load it in AK90+ or use the built-in Tools menu option that should analyze the dump and allow you to make changes.

P. S. - If this helped don't forget to hit the thanks and give reputation.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

jtanner
21st October, 2019, 04:49 PM
A key slot is marked used by the EWS software internally as soon as it sees a key that it recognizes to belong to that slot. Manually marking a key used does not make sense, but marking it unused does.

I never realised that! That's good to know though, certainly enlightened me! Guess that means everything IS working as expected! Thanks for your help. "Thanks + Rep" given :)