PDA

View Full Version : Audi A4 EDC17C46 dieselgate reverse

Blacki
1st November, 2019, 07:55 PM
Hallo guys

A few weeks ago I bought myself an Audi A4 B8 2015 with the "bad" EA189 2.0 TDI engine.

I recognized that the car already had the diesel emissions fix update installed.
In my opinion I think the update can't be the best for the engine so I want to go back to original software.

here the details of my car:

software number: 03L 906 018 JH 9978 hardwarenumber: 03L 906 018 JL
Audi A4 2.0 TDI CGLC 130kW manual Quattro

so first of all I would say I'm an advanced beginner in things of ecu flashing and this kind of stuff
for example I did some software flashes in the old days with the EDC15 PD engines with a galletto 1260 clone
But I'm very interrested in learning to flash the "new" EDC17 ecu's

I did some research that my original software before the dieselgate update was 03L906018JH 2903

So because I have VAS5054 I thought I'll take the easy way to flash an original engine file bevor the 9978 dieselgate update.

The problem now is that there wasn't any update between factory software 2903 and dieselgate update 9978, so
there's nothing to flash with VAS5054.

Now I'm considering buying a KESS V2 clone to flash an original read file which is of course .bin format which i got on the internet already.

So now my big questions:

is it the best option to flash with an KESS clone by OBD or is it unsecure?

would you recommend any other tool for this job which will do it better?

do i really need to read my original ecu first and modify the original 9978 file to 2903 parameters by using WINOLS?
Because I really don't wan't to open the ecu and read in boot mode because what I've read so far the clone KESS
don't support OBD read on the EDC17C46

or can i simple go along and take the ori read from the internet and flash it by OBD with KESS and i will be fine?

Sorry for the really long text and i really appreciate the help from you guys.

best regards
Blacki

damian475
1st November, 2019, 09:26 PM
............delete

damian475
1st November, 2019, 09:35 PM
Try Odis E or VCP for flash to first soft but i think 9978 is before dieselgate or im wrong?

Blacki
1st November, 2019, 09:49 PM
Odis E only can handle .sgo or .frf files and the original software 2903 is only available as .bin file

9978 is definitely the second dieselgate update on my engine there was 2903 (original) => 9977 (1. dieselgate version) => 9978 (2. dieselgate version)
and between 2903 and 9977 there was definitely no update which i could use

Blacki
6th November, 2019, 09:29 AM
push :peaceful:

DreamDancer
10th November, 2019, 04:10 AM
usually you can flash an older version by obd with odis-e but if you don't have a sgo or frf thats not an option.
you could try to write the flash (.bin) in boot mode and hope it works without modifying eeprom. before doing that i would recommend to do a full backup in boot mode (flash+eeprom) so you can always get back to the working version. ktag can do this for example. IMO kess clone cannot flash EDC17C46. i have the newest kess clone and the only ecu which worked for me so far was EDC17CP14 which is already 10y old. ktag no problems with EDC17C46 C64 C74 ... downside is you need to open your ecu.

Apsik
10th November, 2019, 10:57 AM
The easiest and fastest way:
- find someone with MagPro x17
- connect x17 to car
- make ID
- flash upgrade lower than 99xx

It takes about 15min

A3fDevil666
10th November, 2019, 11:17 AM
Or flash whit odis or Vcp avdi

SpecZ
10th November, 2019, 05:43 PM
Or use CMD.

Br.

Michael

Blacki
14th November, 2019, 08:02 AM
Hello guys

First of all thanks for your replies.

Now the way I wanna go is that i bought myself an donor ECU with same Hard and Softwarenumber on ebay for about 60€ and
ordered myself an KTAG and KESS kit.

So i will check if the donor ECU maybe is still on the non dieselgate software and then i will do a full backup with KTAG so
maybe one of you guys could do me an IMMO OFF so I can swap the ECU of my car and drive along without touching the original ECU.

Blacki
24th November, 2019, 06:39 PM
so is there no option to downgrade by the data from another micro file which is on the 2903 non dieselgate version?

DreamDancer
24th November, 2019, 07:13 PM
as written by me. you can try if just putting the older flash file (with immo off) on it works. maybe you will have errors because eeprom has wrong values for this flash. you also need to change injector calibration code and reset all adaptation channels. do all adaptation.
when you leave the eeprom untouched you should see in VCDS same numbers for ECU soft and version from the old flash file which was on the ECU before.

its almost useless to just copy some parts from the older software over the newer software. emissions update has changed much inside the flash like injection. you can read something here with google translate https://www.motor-talk.de/news/so-funktioniert-das-diesel-update-t6219349.html

when you don't want what the update is doing with EGR or injectors, a workaround would be to close EGR, disable in ECU, change injectors to 04L .. and put the correct injector map into the flash. i only heard about problems with EGR, injectors sometimes and more regenerations. newer injector generation can much better handle the faster rising pressure and more openings. with closed EGR you would have clean inlet. this may be an option for you.

arbi12
24th November, 2019, 11:23 PM
hi my autotuner does roll back service to before diesel gate ,so find someone with auto tuner minimul cost

DreamDancer
25th November, 2019, 02:28 AM
CMD Flash also has such feature "revert to original" and then you choose which version but it depends on if they have an older version available for this specific engine + transmission etc
plus, CMD is expensive. so less people have it

Blacki
25th November, 2019, 10:18 PM
as written by me. you can try if just putting the older flash file (with immo off) on it works. maybe you will have errors because eeprom has wrong values for this flash. you also need to change injector calibration code and reset all adaptation channels. do all adaptation.
when you leave the eeprom untouched you should see in VCDS same numbers for ECU soft and version from the old flash file which was on the ECU before.

its almost useless to just copy some parts from the older software over the newer software. emissions update has changed much inside the flash like injection. you can read something here with google translate https://www.motor-talk.de/news/so-funktioniert-das-diesel-update-t6219349.html

when you don't want what the update is doing with EGR or injectors, a workaround would be to close EGR, disable in ECU, change injectors to 04L .. and put the correct injector map into the flash. i only heard about problems with EGR, injectors sometimes and more regenerations. newer injector generation can much better handle the faster rising pressure and more openings. with closed EGR you would have clean inlet. this may be an option for you.

thanks for your answer

in the meantime i got the donor ECU which i bought on egay.

surprisingly it was on the old software before dieselgate so i did a full backup with KTAG did immo off and off course all adaptations like injector codes,
DPF oil ash, difference pressure sensor etc. and the engine was running smooth and without any immo errors on a little test drive.

the bad thing about this ecu was the faulty ecu connector which had lots of corrosion on the contacts so from time to time when i wiggle around the connector
and wires of the ecu the engine produced lots of failure and runs like shit cause of the bad connections but now at least i know why the ecu was that cheap...

so cleaning out the contacts didn't help either so im writing this ecu off to a testing unit and today bought me another donor ecu but with good contacts because
driving with an unreliable ecu is really not my thing :rofl:

so my question comes here now:

if the new ecu is maybe on the dieselgate update 9978 would it be possible to go back to 2903 if i first do full backup
do immo off on eeprom and then flash the micro file from the other donor ecu with immo off of course

would that work?

when the first solution wont work i will do as you suggested to blank at least the egr and on the injectors i will probably take the risk.
the main problems i have with the dieselgate update is as mentioned the high egr rate and the high regeneration cycle which is always around
320-350km which is every 3-4 days because i'm driving allot.

but important thing is that i don't touch my original ecu because i dont want to drive to work by bus :smile-new:

kind regards
Blacki

maajkii
25th November, 2019, 10:41 PM
here is your file.

Blacki
26th November, 2019, 06:09 AM
Thanks for the file if i flash this ECU will definitely be bricked...;)

maajkii
29th November, 2019, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the file if i flash this ECU will definitely be bricked...;)Because of What?
Many of mine slave Flash VR files with Kess clone :) regards.

Wysłane z mojego SM-G975F przy użyciu Tapatalka

rebelmind
24th January, 2020, 04:13 PM
thanks for your answer

in the meantime i got the donor ECU which i bought on egay.

surprisingly it was on the old software before dieselgate so i did a full backup with KTAG did immo off and off course all adaptations like injector codes,
DPF oil ash, difference pressure sensor etc. and the engine was running smooth and without any immo errors on a little test drive.

the bad thing about this ecu was the faulty ecu connector which had lots of corrosion on the contacts so from time to time when i wiggle around the connector
and wires of the ecu the engine produced lots of failure and runs like shit cause of the bad connections but now at least i know why the ecu was that cheap...

so cleaning out the contacts didn't help either so im writing this ecu off to a testing unit and today bought me another donor ecu but with good contacts because
driving with an unreliable ecu is really not my thing :rofl:

so my question comes here now:

if the new ecu is maybe on the dieselgate update 9978 would it be possible to go back to 2903 if i first do full backup
do immo off on eeprom and then flash the micro file from the other donor ecu with immo off of course

would that work?

when the first solution wont work i will do as you suggested to blank at least the egr and on the injectors i will probably take the risk.
the main problems i have with the dieselgate update is as mentioned the high egr rate and the high regeneration cycle which is always around
320-350km which is every 3-4 days because i'm driving allot.

but important thing is that i don't touch my original ecu because i dont want to drive to work by bus :smile-new:

kind regards
Blacki

Hello Blaki,

I'm new guy on this forum, i have the same wishes of you.
I have a CFFB motor and i have a same problem. i have treated the problem otherwise : I have umount all intake circuit of my motor (manifold, EGR, Turbocharger...) and clean all : it's a long work. i have installed a electcric case to shortcut the EGR: my motor runs really better after that but i have always 1 DPF regeneration for around 200km and my injection system suffers during the regenerations : I don't like the wrong noise of my motor!

Since a moment, i wish to do the same with an other ECU buyed on ebay and test. did you successfully complete the operation and with which software? ODIS and FRF files?

My apologies for my poor english, i'm french guy :/

rebelmind
28th January, 2020, 05:57 PM
Hello,

Nobody to answer my issue ?

Thanks for your help.

DreamDancer
28th January, 2020, 06:50 PM
it was already explained multiple times which ways are confirmed working like my way with odis or should work. you just need the correct frf or bin

almilo
3rd April, 2021, 07:19 PM
same problem ... the posted file is never writable with kess?

adrianoo
4th April, 2021, 06:46 PM
ciao, lo fai con ktag clone e scrivi il file prima dell'aggiornamento senza problemi

veber07
17th November, 2023, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the file if i flash this ECU will definitely be bricked...;)

Hello Blacki.
I am the same owner of an Audi А4 2.0 TDI 2013 with a motor CGLC and also suffer from increased fuel consumption and frequent regenerations. Did you manage to solve the problem? I also have the software version 9978 and I couldn’t find the original firmware for this unit FL_03L906018KL in the format frf .On the Internet there seems to be another version of the software before dieselgate, number 3112. Moreover, the same software number is present on ECU FL_03L906018KL .
Here for example https://www.cartechnology.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=33994&pid=330707
Do you know anything about this original firmware 3112?

peechie
17th November, 2023, 08:22 PM
I use PCMFLASH to downgrade SW version and works very well OBD