PDA

View Full Version : Ford Focus - Instrumentation Cluster problem

jmecosta
2nd January, 2010, 12:18 AM
Hi everyone,

I've recently bought a ford focus tdci 2002. The car was fairly cheap however it come with a problem.

The instrumentation cluster (tacho, velocimeter, fuel gauge, temp gauge and some of the warning lights) are not working. The guy who sold me the car told me that someone connect +/- sign of the battery in the wrong order.

However after driving the car for some miles, the complete cluster come back on like nothing was happening. So i'm guessing its not a total lost for the panel.

So i've been looking around and found some information on ford workshop manual to pin point the problem. However the problem with all this was not able to retrieve from the cd the wiring diagrams for the vehicle and am a bit stuck.

So does any one can provide me with the complete wiring diagrams for this model..

Cheers...

morfeo
2nd January, 2010, 12:46 AM
dashboard are defective! you need repaire it!

Meat-Head
2nd January, 2010, 02:53 AM
dashboard are defective! you need repaire it!

HOW do you repair them, please other members need to know

tranzavanza
2nd January, 2010, 05:48 AM
if it was dead and then just came back on there is a chance that is gonna go out again.

this type of problem is very common in chevy vehicles, I repair these and what I can tell you is that usually the problem is related to an open circuit on the printed board.

If you get it open search for broken connections at the soldering points start for the plug and then inspect all the elements in there specially resistors.

let me know if find any thing

jmecosta
2nd January, 2010, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the reply...

Indeed the panel went down again, i'm guessing ground issue, or some burned resistor.

However i did not want to start investigating the problem without first following the Ford repair checklist. Which come backs to the wiring diagrams that i do not possess.

I've recently downloaded the Ford etis which provides the wiring diagrams on-line. But since i do not have user+pass can access them.

If some of you could pm with this, i would gladly provide my findings after investigating the problem in the forum.

Cheers

obdmaster
2nd January, 2010, 02:45 PM
Common failure is the cluster, but i dont like the sound of the guy incorrectly reverse polarity connecting battery, if he did? If you require drawing search for ford tis. It goes upto 2004 and has all diagrams without the need for on line activation. It has been posted on forum. Clusters are around ?66+vat (new) so all is not lost m8.

PremierD
2nd January, 2010, 06:31 PM
Common failure is the cluster, but i dont like the sound of the guy incorrectly reverse polarity connecting battery, if he did? If you require drawing search for ford tis. It goes upto 2004 and has all diagrams without the need for on line activation. It has been posted on forum. Clusters are around ?66+vat (new) so all is not lost m8.

BTW .... Did you get yours fitted mate ... And did they put in the correct miles ....?

dashradio
2nd January, 2010, 09:15 PM
Hi, This is a common fault on the early Focus dash, Ford will ever replace them out of warranty for ?99.00 + vat, the problem is circuit board corrosion like when you get water on components it firs up, clean up and check solder connections. Lot on other forums about this same problem.

Meat-Head
2nd January, 2010, 09:37 PM
Hi, This is a common fault on the early Focus dash, Ford will ever replace them out of warranty for ?99.00 + vat, the problem is circuit board corrosion like when you get water on components it firs up, clean up and check solder connections. Lot on other forums about this same problem.

yeah i read that, the DFP fix is spray it with UB40.

BUT the one that's keeping the fireplace warm is PERFECT inside
Suspect this one has a capaitor that has gone dry.

All well and good swapping the caps over, no pin outs data to power it up!
(gnd, b+, ign+ - hint)

www.cluster-repairs.cu*ts (http://www.cluster-repairs.cu*ts) muttered something about 'power suplly'
but that's all could get out of him, (same with Laguna clocks!)

thanks Meaty

cristec
3rd January, 2010, 12:34 AM
Think this might help with power up connections.
Red and black are supplies, blue and yellow are for hicory dickory docking.
http://www.auto-diagnostic.biz/download/Ford.pdf

HTH

Meat-Head
3rd January, 2010, 12:41 AM
Think this might help with power up connections.
Red and black are supplies, blue and yellow are for hicory dickory docking.
http://www.auto-diagnostic.biz/download/Ford.pdf

HTH

YOU are AWESOME, dude, it's only to play with, see if changing the caps and then if that works (if not UB40) have a paly with the milage eeprom
as NOBODY wanted to help with the milage swap!

Thanks dude.

cristec
3rd January, 2010, 12:43 AM
Glad you liked it, here who's made over 1000 posts then?

smirnoff_rules
3rd January, 2010, 12:46 AM
l should delete half the shit his posted lol

simo2k
3rd January, 2010, 12:51 AM
hiya might be a little late but i fixed one of these by going over the solder joints with a soldering iron...

you never know might work for you

dtecman
3rd January, 2010, 01:01 AM
Check the wiring earth point in the passenger footwell on the cill in front of the door opening!

Meat-Head
3rd January, 2010, 01:01 AM
Glad you liked it, here who's made over 1000 posts then?

Thanks didn't notice that.

l should delete half the shit his posted lol

Not sure if that's a compliment or insult! Besides 363 thanks in 277 posts
must be a good sign. Besides if you did delete most of my postings, just
think how much bandwith you will save. Before i get baned for
saying things that are wrong, must remeber to donate some funds to this
site, (Giro comes next week). That way when the boss of M-H-M wants the 250 Gigs ish of stuff thanks to DK on the computer in office it will be easier to say, 'had to join a forum and pay for it' (boss knows when lying)

smirnoff_rules
3rd January, 2010, 01:04 AM
insult ? not me m8 .. keep up the good work . u cock lol

PremierD
3rd January, 2010, 10:21 AM
Thanks didn't notice that.

Not sure if that's a compliment or insult! Besides 363 thanks in 277 posts
must be a good sign. Besides if you did delete most of my postings, just
think how much bandwith you will save. Before i get baned for
saying things that are wrong, must remeber to donate some funds to this
site, (Giro comes next week). That way when the boss of M-H-M wants the 250 Gigs ish of stuff thanks to DK on the computer in office it will be easier to say, 'had to join a forum and pay for it' (boss knows when lying)

Does this make you a Grandee then mate ......:jiggin:

obdmaster
3rd January, 2010, 12:20 PM
BTW .... Did you get yours fitted mate ... And did they put in the correct miles ....?

Berfore xmas had bad ear infection when did job , ford didnt but original miles and really couldnt be bothered arguing. I got old dash and tacho universal so going to mess tomorrow, thanks my m8 premierreD. Do you know using FORD IDS if it lets you knock miles down or just up. thanks m8.

Meat-Head
3rd January, 2010, 12:30 PM
Berfore xmas had bad ear infection when did job , ford didnt but original miles and really couldnt be bothered arguing. I got old dash and tacho universal so going to mess tomorrow, thanks my m8 premierreD. Do you know using FORD IDS if it lets you knock miles down or just up. thanks m8.

same here, just for screwing up purposes, you try UB40 on your set
and i'll try soldering my set, also (can't at mo cos killed my Donkey Kong)
you upload your eeprom dump and i'll upload mine for prove/disprove
of changine milage easily (nobody wanted to swap the milage over)

Thanks.

cristec
3rd January, 2010, 12:33 PM
Hi, I didn't think it would allow mileage adjustment, we have had a few Focus dash's replaced by main dealer's and they have been returned with the new dash zero' d.

HTH

Meat-Head
3rd January, 2010, 12:38 PM
Hi, I didn't think it would allow mileage adjustment, we have had a few Focus dash's replaced by main dealer's and they have been returned with the new dash zero' d.

HTH

OFF TOPIC: - but relevent

Approx 2002 - start with, in Meat City, you get the same story, differant version, so you need to take a pinch of salt with this:

Lady had (think was pug 307? or 407?) either way it has done 7000 miles
and speedo packed up, 6 months old, "Meat City Peugot" said "we can put the miles back, but we not going to because it would be illegal" - new car
7000 miles less, bonus!

PremierD
3rd January, 2010, 12:39 PM

I think you will find it can do both mate ...like ALL dealer machines ... But NOBODY will tell you how to put them down.... sorry

obdmaster
3rd January, 2010, 12:40 PM
same here, just for screwing up purposes, you try UB40 on your set
and i'll try soldering my set, also (can't at mo cos killed my Donkey Kong)
you upload your eeprom dump and i'll upload mine for prove/disprove
of changine milage easily (nobody wanted to swap the milage over)

Thanks.

Ok m8 will do that this week, i need to learn about this EEPROM programming its the way our job is going now.

Meat-Head
3rd January, 2010, 12:54 PM
Ok m8 will do that this week, i need to learn about this EEPROM programming its the way our job is going now.

pop to here http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f115/my-turn-75642/
then click on the first and third link in the first post. Oh buy an SOIC clip rather than soldering wires on to the chip, cos if they touch it blows one of the transisters on the board, but gained equililent from the 'dead met-rot' thread (1000's upstairs at home). Think it might have took the serial port with it (too lasy to try another pc, use laptop at work)

nutloose
3rd January, 2010, 03:51 PM

AFAIK the mileage correction in IDS menu only corrects new instrument mileage upwards to the stored value in pcm.
I haven't tried using the replace module function with an instrument cluster yet, but there's always time.

dashradio
3rd January, 2010, 04:08 PM
Ford Focus with 24c16

To test on bench power
Pin 14 = 12v +
Pin 15 = 12v -
Pin 16 = 12v +

z786
4th January, 2010, 05:57 PM
I think you will find it can do both mate ...like ALL dealer machines ... But NOBODY will tell you how to put them down.... sorry

i doubt the vauxhall 1 does the 1's wit m35080 or the d80 chips?

or BMW for that matter,

wat u reckon?

PremierD
4th January, 2010, 07:02 PM
i doubt the vauxhall 1 does the 1's wit m35080 or the d80 chips?

or BMW for that matter,

wat u reckon?

I'll agree on the 35080's mate ... Coz the increment registers will only (would you believe increment ).... but there are hidden command on most dealer units ...But now that its mostly done By by CAN commands the possiblities are endless ...there are a lot off aftermarket companies .. simply changing them .. so that you Can Alter them Down the way ... So who is to say that the dealer machine .. has not got them built in ... Accessing them may be another matter ....(only My Theory)...

iamthemanwork
4th February, 2010, 11:20 PM
I have repaired a good few of these and the remedy is always to clean the pcb where tracking is obvious. Takes about 5 minutes and I have had no repeats from my customers.

revelino
6th February, 2010, 05:16 PM
Please check the voltage reg have number 4275g or 4275d maybe is bad. Check the conection in the web
datasheet catalos .
4275G Datasheet catalog (http://search.datasheetcatalog.net/key/4275G)

Sorry my englis is bad.

Hi everyone,

I've recently bought a ford focus tdci 2002. The car was fairly cheap however it come with a problem.

The instrumentation cluster (tacho, velocimeter, fuel gauge, temp gauge and some of the warning lights) are not working. The guy who sold me the car told me that someone connect +/- sign of the battery in the wrong order.

However after driving the car for some miles, the complete cluster come back on like nothing was happening. So i'm guessing its not a total lost for the panel.

So i've been looking around and found some information on ford workshop manual to pin point the problem. However the problem with all this was not able to retrieve from the cd the wiring diagrams for the vehicle and am a bit stuck.

So does any one can provide me with the complete wiring diagrams for this model..

Cheers...

obdmaster
6th February, 2010, 08:46 PM
I have repaired a good few of these and the remedy is always to clean the pcb where tracking is obvious. Takes about 5 minutes and I have had no repeats from my customers.

Tried cleaning mine up with IPA cleaner , where board had corroded but still the same m8

Meat-Head
7th February, 2010, 12:28 AM
Tried cleaning mine up with IPA cleaner , where board had corroded but still the same m8

*CONFUSED* So where is this corrsion?

The one i have is 'perfect' suspect dry joint, reg or capacitor.

in next 10 years will play with it!

neil12345
6th June, 2010, 12:16 AM
Hi I have some good info on the dash problems. my bro had Focus 02 and Mondeo 51 plate. the inst panel was acting weird on both cars. I just told him to buy some clocks off ebay, He did for mondeo 40 quid fitted them exact problem on new clocks. Im auto Elec so began messing dont know why I checked but for some reason I looked at the gearbox transducer unplugged, it was full of water. cleaned it with some ?4 contact cleaner from maplins, plugged in started car everything worked as it should. next up mr focus went straight for the kill found it, there had been water but it had gone and connections were all green used me ?4 maplins special again (with a bit of sand paper aswell) plugged it in fired the engine and voila perfecto speedo!!

Im not sayin that your cars have this problem but its worth a try