PDA

View Full Version : help needed setting up a Freesat box and dish

barragandi
2nd January, 2010, 05:50 PM
im Having problems setting up a Freesat box and dish,
Thought id have a go at setting up freesat for a friend and bought a Bush Black freesat HD Digital box from Argos and a Sky+ HD 43cm Mini satellite Dish Quad with satellite finder of the net.
All seem to go well with positioning the dish on a wall with several other dishes around pointing in the same direction, plugged the freesat box in used the satellite finder with the dish, got a reception of 74%, but that?s as far as i could get it as it failed to find any channels.
Also unplugged the freesat box and tried to get a reception with my sky box but this says no sat detected.
Can anyone offer help.:giveup:

jamespowell69
2nd January, 2010, 06:27 PM
there are many others on here with alot more experience than me but is the dish new or second hand as the LNB i think its called ( the small reciever unit on the dish ) are quite tempermental and ive had to have mine replaced on my sky hd set up several times now.

barragandi
2nd January, 2010, 07:24 PM
The dish was bought as new, how Could you tell if the LNB is faulty.

jamespowell69
2nd January, 2010, 08:37 PM
i doubt its faulty if new.it was the sky engineer who told me.but i think it was signal quality and hed did put a meter on it.go and have a look at the general sat forum there are some great tutorials about setting up the dish ect as you may be out of line slightly

knockanish
7th April, 2010, 06:15 PM
Sounds like a faulty LNB to me. Hook up your freesat box at any buddies house by using their existing Sky dish - this will tell you if there a fault in it. Be patient the freesat box will have to download software/firmware which is on a loop it may take time.

charlie boy
26th April, 2010, 06:31 PM
hi, is it true what you say, that a sky dish will work with a free sat box, is it necessary to do any extra work or just hook up ,my techie knowledge is limited

charlie boy:laugh:

westkill
26th April, 2010, 06:43 PM
hi, is it true what you say, that a sky dish will work with a free sat box, is it necessary to do any extra work or just hook up ,my techie knowledge is limited

charlie boy:laugh:

sky dish will be fine with a freesat box thats it :)

dick b
27th April, 2010, 01:45 PM
you cant just put the dish up and point it in the same direction as other dishes and hope to get a result,thats just the starting point. you now have to search for the satellite by moving the dish up/down and left/right til you have the highest possible reading in the quality bar,(the signal strength you can forget).the sat finder will give a signal off any sat it finds so you must be sure you are actually on 28.2E as there are a lot of other sats up there.the 43cm dish is the minimum needed in the south of england in the north 60cm is the minimum.the difference between signal and no signal is very slight so the dish must be set up accurately.its very unlikely that the lnb is faulty but can of course happen.

OldBloke
2nd May, 2010, 10:14 PM
How did you get on Barra ?

Claretrock
20th May, 2010, 10:22 PM
You may be pointing at the wrong sat?

gus1961
28th May, 2010, 09:18 AM
done mine by trial and error just pointed where other dishes where hooked up sat box-moved it about till signal bar on sat box ok-had no probs since so went and bought a humax foxsat and over the moon with it