PDA

View Full Version : Aerial power/freeview dignal poor issue

peco
22nd September, 2008, 08:14 PM
My mum lives in a block of flats. She has one freeview box in the livingroom (sitting room) with a perfect picture. She has another freeview box in the bedroom. The freeview box in the bedroom doesn't tune properly. The few channels that do tune stop start and freeze alot with "BAD SIGNAL" appearing on screen. I'd really like to get this fixed for my mum.

Things I've tried:

Moving the working freeview box from the livingroom to the bedroom. The same problem occurs with that freeview box.
I opened up the TV socket on the wall to make sure the connection was nice and tight. (it was but i took it apart and rewired it anyway), this made no difference.
I tried a completely different wall socket in the bedroom but again, this made no difference.

When I look at the roof I can see one huge (I presume digital) aerial shared between 8 flats. Presuming each flat has a couple of TV's in it, I'm guessing there will be a signal booster or aerial amplifier as standard on these new flats.

As my mum is in the top floor of the flat, I managed to get into the loft and did see the aerial cable running into the bedroom and the livingroom but there is no sign of any aerial boosters or amplifiers. Infact I could not see where the aerial comes into the loft from the roof.

Does anyone know why this bedroom signal is so poor and what can I do about it?

mm009b
22nd September, 2008, 10:25 PM
im no expert mate but if its ariel ca you not try a splitter from living room one to see if that works .maybee wall socket uhf only in room just a theory mate hope it helps alsi i take its not satelite if it is a splitter won't do

peco
22nd September, 2008, 10:42 PM
im no expert mate but if its ariel ca you not try a splitter from living room one to see if that works .maybee wall socket uhf only in room just a theory mate hope it helps alsi i take its not satelite if it is a splitter won't do

Thanks for the reply. Questions:

What is aerial ca?

When you say uhf, I can't see it being that as both connections come from the same big meaty aerial on the roof and after looking in the loft, they both seem to be attached to the same cable.

It's definitely not satellite.

AirShowNut
25th September, 2008, 04:13 PM
Personally i would try the freeview box from the bedroom on the connection in the front room.If it tunes all channels and works ok then i would simply buy a signal amplifier and wire it up for the bedroom freeview box.Or wire the booster up in the front room and run a length of aerial cable from the amplifier to the bedroom freview box.If all the flats are running more than one tv on the one roof-top aerial then the signal will drop quite a bit to each tv.Signal amplifiers are relatively inexpensive to buy and do a good job of pulling the signal back up if it has dropped slightly.

peco
25th September, 2008, 05:43 PM
Personally i would try the freeview box from the bedroom on the connection in the front room.If it tunes all channels and works ok then i would simply buy a signal amplifier and wire it up for the bedroom freeview box.Or wire the booster up in the front room and run a length of aerial cable from the amplifier to the bedroom freview box.If all the flats are running more than one tv on the one roof-top aerial then the signal will drop quite a bit to each tv.Signal amplifiers are relatively inexpensive to buy and do a good job of pulling the signal back up if it has dropped slightly.

I've tested this. Both freeview boxes work perfectly in the livingroom.

AirShowNut
25th September, 2008, 07:20 PM
Then i would get a signal booster and connect it up in the bedroom.I use one for the freview in my bedroom and have no problems with it even though the aerial is only a small one,and i can run two sets off it with no signal drop.

peco
27th September, 2008, 04:07 PM
I don't think I really require a signal booster. I think it may be either that the wall socket in the bedroom is unscreened or that the wall socket in the livingroom doesn't have a return feed from the freeview box. Going to test both in the next few days.

peco
29th September, 2008, 12:45 PM
Just to wind this thread up.

I took the decombiner (triplex) plate off the wall in the livingroom just to check it and found that one of the cables wasn't even attached properly. Not sure which cable but I reattached it.

I then re-tried the connector (return feeds to the freeview box) back into the return hole on that decombiner (triplex) plate in the livingroom and hey presta!! I re-tuned (serched for services) on the freeview in the bedroom and it worked perfectly.

Big thanks to all for patience and advice on this thread. Appreciate it. :D