PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Yaris 2012 Odometer LCS went blank after read/write

Krazyglue354
2nd January, 2020, 09:20 AM
I was working with a Toyota Yaris 2012 Cluster and after reprogramming it several times... (trying to find out the correct line to edit as there were several values that repeated over) now the LCD in the clusters turn on but is not displaying any information, just the back light with no data characters or text on it. Can this occur due to a programming error? I understand that I made a valid backup and tried to restore it thinking it maybe related to a programming mistake but the situation remains the same. It is possible that the "backup" file that I have is not the correct one. My base question is: Can that behavior be caused by a programming mistake on my end or there is a chance that the LCD stopped working and is now only displaying background light on the LCD.

Any advice can make a difference, thanks in advance.

stoyanov
2nd January, 2020, 09:31 AM
Let's see your backup file.

Krazyglue354
2nd January, 2020, 09:43 AM
Let's see your backup file.

Thanks for your prompt reply. I understand this is the original file, must admit I was not careful enough before starting to alter the file.

stoyanov
2nd January, 2020, 10:03 AM
What tool do you read this backup file,your file size is 257 bytes?

jomberykaso
2nd January, 2020, 12:05 PM
Easy to fix this cluster

Krazyglue354
2nd January, 2020, 12:11 PM
What tool do you read this backup file,your file size is 257 bytes?

I use arlabs kit. I noticed there was data missing like the extracted data was a really compact paragraph.

I theorize that getting a dump from another car (same model) will bring back the info on the display. What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krazyglue354
2nd January, 2020, 12:13 PM
Easy to fix this cluster

Do you think that writing a virgin bin to the eeprom may resolve the issue?

jomberykaso
2nd January, 2020, 12:16 PM
You're right. Post #6. That's the solution, however I recommend you to buy other eeprom programmer more stable.

It's not necessary to buy the most expensive eeprom programmer in the world ..... upa 1.3 is very good to start and it costs less of 40 uds

Krazyglue354
2nd January, 2020, 12:19 PM
You're right. Post #6. That's the solution, however I recommend you to buy other eeprom programmer more stable.

It's not necessary to buy the most expensive eeprom programmer in the world ..... upa 1.3 is very good to start and it costs less of 40 uds

Thanks so much, this seems like a great community to be part of, and I hope I can start contributing to you all soon.

Krazyglue354
2nd January, 2020, 12:19 PM
I will post the results.

jomberykaso
2nd January, 2020, 01:22 PM
if you wanna test:

Krazyglue354
3rd January, 2020, 06:05 PM
if you wanna test:

Once more thanks for the file.

Update: After applying the provided file, the LCD remains blank. Just tested and noticed that the speedometer and Rev gauges are not activating either. Other lights like the manual break indicator do not respond either (when applying the hand brake or taking it off). Airbag, temperature and others are working.

The only thing that comes to my mind is checking the plugs to the cluster itself, however my knowledge is limited on this subject and I am not sure if something else should be tried first.

Anyways I am not sure either how to test the data on the plugs (just the voltage) I am going to install another cluster on the vehicle and see how it goes but that will require more time and effort to get one.

If you can suggest another troubleshooting step before I go that way it will be most appreciated.

sagie1zn
3rd January, 2020, 06:29 PM
Toyota Yaris 2012 Cluster and after reprogramming it several time... so after programming it first or second or third time, did cluster work?? or you just programme without testing on cluster

Krazyglue354
3rd January, 2020, 06:35 PM
Not sure if I understood your question but each time after writing to the eeprom connected it. The original problem is that after a few programming attempts the LCD went blank.

I programmed with the test file provided but still the LCD is blank. I am thinking it could be something else.

sagie1zn
3rd January, 2020, 07:00 PM
each time you write to the eeprom, did you switch ignition on to see if it still work, if mileage showing, if all gauges working? sorry if i dont understand your first reply

Krazyglue354
3rd January, 2020, 07:04 PM
Yes, each time after writing to the eeprom I installed on the car a turned the ignition to on or run to check the gauges and LCD and the LCD is blank (odo) and the gauges dead (some lights work correctly others don’t.)

sagie1zn
3rd January, 2020, 07:06 PM
did you write in circuit or desolder

Krazyglue354
3rd January, 2020, 07:10 PM
In circuit

sagie1zn
3rd January, 2020, 07:17 PM
is 93c56 or 93c66 ?

Krazyglue354
3rd January, 2020, 07:19 PM
93c56

jomberykaso
3rd January, 2020, 07:21 PM
Solution : remove eeprom from cluster and write my file inside

Krazyglue354
3rd January, 2020, 07:23 PM
I will try to re-write in circuit once more. If that does not helps I will try desoldering.

sagie1zn
3rd January, 2020, 07:25 PM
is this yaris that must remove small pcb to get to chip? did you plug it in all the way back

Krazyglue354
4th January, 2020, 11:53 PM
is this yaris that must remove small pcb to get to chip? did you plug it in all the way back

It has a small pcb yea but it does not needs to be removed to access the eeprom.

I will try Jomberykaso suggestion and desolder and reprogram directly as that seems to be the solution.

sagie1zn
5th January, 2020, 11:47 AM
small pcb and no need to remove? please post pic of your cluster and chip

Krazyglue354
5th January, 2020, 11:49 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200105/bcbcedf3f0808635ea718abbaf142fd7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200105/93c3d7479f1c944c713687dcb967272f.jpg

jomberykaso
5th January, 2020, 12:42 PM
small pcb and no need to remove? please post pic of your cluster and chip

I think you are confused mate. This is a simple Yaris c56.

sagie1zn
5th January, 2020, 02:54 PM
not confused mate, done many of these and yes its simple, but because its written 93c56 does not necessarily mean its the correct chip he is reading and writing. Maybe in other countries cluster is different, but according to my knowledge, yaris c56 chip is on the underside, which means he has to unplug the pcb. i think he is working on the wrong chip, but i stand to be corrected.

jomberykaso
5th January, 2020, 02:59 PM
No mate, that is the correct eeprom...I'm 10000000 % sure about this.

sagie1zn
5th January, 2020, 03:06 PM
you are correct sir, just found that pdf. so maybe as you say, remove eeprom and write your file

mecjp
5th January, 2020, 03:23 PM
Not sure if I understood your question but each time after writing to the eeprom connected it. The original problem is that after a few programming attempts the LCD went blank.

I programmed with the test file provided but still the LCD is blank. I am thinking it could be something else.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkMaybe after FEW attempts and voltage too high eeprom is dead? [emoji848]

After first attempt and plug it...
Does LCDs work after first attempt? ... After few is dead?

Krazyglue354
6th January, 2020, 01:21 AM
I will post the results tomorrow. So everyone following this thread can know.

ferhel19
6th January, 2020, 09:09 AM
i just want to Share my Experience. ALTO 2016 Model 93c66.after Write bin file Several times...we have a common Problem.no display no lights. so i decide to change I.C after that. all problem Solved

Krazyglue354
9th January, 2020, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the replies. I finally changed the PCB all together with another from another Yaris and it seems that something else is broten because the symptom is the same.

Unfortunately my electronics-fu is very low at the moment and I cannot troubleshoot further.

Krazyglue354
10th January, 2020, 03:00 AM
Update: The PCB and the Display were damaged. I took the missing components from another dashboard (shift indicators) and I am about to load the file into the Eeprom, this time with the correct voltage settings. [emoji28]

raf0468
10th January, 2020, 10:44 PM
would it not have been easier put the doner cluster in and adjust to required value..

Krazyglue354
11th January, 2020, 02:25 AM
Yes, but the donor was for a manual transmission model that does not have the shift indicator lights (PRND2L).