PDA

View Full Version : Disassemble STi cluster?

Jncominco2
7th January, 2010, 02:39 AM
hey i was wondering if anyone knew of a guide on how to take apart an STi cluster. i have the cluster torn down as far as i want to go and it seems like id have to take the needles off, which i really dont want to do to access the chip. please help if possible

its a 2005 USDM Subaru Impreza WRX STi cluster

or possibly what chip it is? I don't see a 93xxx chip or anything that size

PremierD
7th January, 2010, 09:57 AM
hey i was wondering if anyone knew of a guide on how to take apart an STi cluster. i have the cluster torn down as far as i want to go and it seems like id have to take the needles off, which i really dont want to do to access the chip. please help if possible

its a 2005 USDM Subaru Impreza WRX STi cluster

or possibly what chip it is? I don't see a 93xxx chip or anything that size

DO NOT ...Remove the Needles...If you look where the motors are attached to the PCB you will find two tabs (for each motor) lift them up.. then the PCB will lift (with a little levering )..And leave the motors still attached to the front part off dash...

z786
7th January, 2010, 09:52 PM
i did one last week but put it all together in a hurry, MPH needle dnt wana move,backing was pushed out cos of the LCD, against needle

point is put it back with care lol

PremierD
7th January, 2010, 10:06 PM
i did ones last week but put it all together in a hurry, MPH needle dnt wana move,backing was pushed out cos of the LCD, against needle

point is put it back with care lol

Done it mate ... lol .. Very first Shogun I did I stripped and reassembled it 5 times ..before i sussed the LCD screen was pushing the Backplate against the Needle... Now its a home made probe on the back ...

Solution( not for you mate ) the tabs you lift ..grip with pliers and pull before bending back over

Jncominco2
8th January, 2010, 03:13 PM
Ok I didn't take it apart luckily. What about a 8 pin surface mount chip that says L56R on it? Do you think that would he it? The ones for older wrx are an 8 pin, but they are a DIP

PremierD
8th January, 2010, 03:37 PM
Ok I didn't take it apart luckily. What about a 8 pin surface mount chip that says L56R on it? Do you think that would he it? The ones for older wrx are an 8 pin, but they are a DIP

Same thing mate only in soic form ...

I would remove for programming mate ....

Jncominco2
8th January, 2010, 04:16 PM
Me and soldering don't go to well together hah. What about a test clip that just clips over the chip? Could I use that?

PremierD
8th January, 2010, 06:50 PM
Me and soldering don't go to well together hah. What about a test clip that just clips over the chip? Could I use that?

By all means mate ...Have a go ....If you can short out the Ocillator .. It may work ... But when you Fcuk it (as is very possible ) .. Then you will be back on looking for a dump ...

PS ..I have one .....

daz1968
8th January, 2010, 07:13 PM
I have uk sti cluster, that is the chip, I tried to program in circuit with a test clip, shorted out oscillator as advised on here, would not read. I do not have tools to remove it so am at a stop at the moment. Chip is on back though so needles don't have to come off. The only option I think is a hot air rework station but I can't justify the cost with only the one dash to do. If you have any luck with programming on board let me know how you did it.

Jncominco2
8th January, 2010, 07:48 PM
I don't understand what you mean by shorting out the oscillator? I'm still new to this.

adam28
8th January, 2010, 08:20 PM
I don't understand what you mean by shorting out the oscillator? I'm still new to this.

Alot of them look like this mate.Short it by soldering abit of wire to each end.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/78/Crystal_oscillator_4MHz.jpg

Jncominco2
8th January, 2010, 08:29 PM
Solder on the EPROM chip itsself? I will not do that

so if I use a test clip, it will screw it up and I won't be able to program it?

Meat-Head
8th January, 2010, 08:32 PM

Take the clocks to your local radio repair shop, get them to unsolder the chip, photograp it's location, take it home and have your dump, then return to the shop and get them to refit it, dude.

adam28
8th January, 2010, 08:34 PM

you put clip on chip, then short oscillator.

Jncominco2
8th January, 2010, 10:20 PM
Take the clocks to your local radio repair shop, get them to unsolder the chip, photograp it's location, take it home and have your dump, then return to the shop and get them to refit it, dude.

I honestly don't know of a repair shop around here

you put clip on chip, then short oscillator.

So is there supposed to be something like that near the EPROM chip?

PremierD
8th January, 2010, 11:38 PM
I honestly don't know of a repair shop around here

So is there supposed to be something like that near the EPROM chip?

READ this post ... and check out the pictures .... but like I said .. even this poster could not read the eeprom ... because he would not remove it mate .....

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f115/subaru-correction-61049/

daz1968
10th January, 2010, 10:50 AM
yes that other post was by me, the sti cluster only shows 3k more miles than my wrx one now, so gonna wait till it catches up. If I ever want to put wrx clocks back in they are easy to do as have a larger chip that is not surface mount, have already removed this one to test out my programmer and reads fine. If you find a way to do it post details on here then I will have a go. Just not confident enough at soldering to remove the small surface mount myself.

Meat-Head
10th January, 2010, 11:04 AM
y Just not confident enough at soldering to remove the small surface mount myself.

Had that same fear as you, but after doing a few SOIC's seem to have
got a NASTY eeprom fetish, just keep playing with myself and soldering iron for hours on end. Rather remove/refit a SOIC than a DIP, yet last month was the other way round.

OFF-TOPIC

Got a TV switching box with one chip gone down, (soic) and another board (same chip) if could remeber where put it, happy to have a go at it. RESFUSED to do it, but happy now (it is only one input down, but 'works')