PDA

View Full Version : PS3 or HTPC?

akhlaq768
8th January, 2010, 12:02 PM
Just been reading about HTPC, just wondering why would anyone buy/build a HTPC if they had a PS3 already?

Please can someone tell me there are more benefits of having one, so I have an excuse to get one....

What are the uses of a HTPC?

Raven
8th January, 2010, 06:29 PM
With a codec pack you can play any movie file without the need to convert it to a format the PS3 will read, that's probably the main benefit like for like that I can think of.

One other thing is if you get a good sound card hooked up to your PC, the audio quality is much better than on board sound AND you can hook up your PS3 to your PC sound card if it has an optical in jack or if you buy a phono to 3.5 mm jack and plug your PS3's red and white audio wires into that and plug the whole thing into your line in port on the audio card - it's only two channel analogue bare bones basics with the composite cables but even them said basics sound a lot better than any previous setting you had when it was coming from your TV because now the audio is being handled by a good dedicated sound card rather than whatever is in the TV. Nice freebie tip for anyone with a decent sound card. ;)

brazil_saint
1st October, 2010, 08:13 PM
Old post, but caught my attention! As far as I am aware, the PS is a games console that will play Blue Ray right? I wouldn't really compare it with an HTPC, as they do different things. For example, if you were using an HTPC running XBMC or MediaPortal you could use it for playback of all your films (blu ray or DVD), watching online content from YouTube and others, checking the weather, watching recorded TV series, watching live TV from a TV Server. Then there are the plugins that are available - connecting to your Netlix account for people in the US, remote control from your iPhone or Android phone, home automation (dimming lights, & drawing curtains when you play a film, or pausing a film when you get a Skype call) - the list is fairly endless.

I would get both if I were you, and look at XBMC.org for a starting place, on what can be done.

BenMHarvey
26th October, 2010, 12:34 AM
I've used both as a HTPC and for simple DivX the PS3 is the easiest and smallest (short of a M-ITX rig)

But I still primarily use my HTPC (Core 2 Duo M-ATX) for 1080 videos and I also use it for some retro arcade games so theres alot more freedom in using a HTPC

akhlaq768
26th October, 2010, 09:08 AM
I've used both as a HTPC and for simple DivX the PS3 is the easiest and smallest (short of a M-ITX rig)

But I still primarily use my HTPC (Core 2 Duo M-ATX) for 1080 videos and I also use it for some retro arcade games so theres alot more freedom in using a HTPC

can anyone purchase a pre-built machine or does one need to build one by themselves?

BenMHarvey
27th October, 2010, 12:13 AM
I run my own IT Business here is Sydney, I build these for clients however most main stream OEM's like Dell and HP are getting into this

I highly recommend ASRock ASRock unveils ION330HT-BD HTPC nettop with Blu-ray (http://apcmag.com/asrock-unveils-ion330ht-bd-htpc-nettop-with-blu-ray.htm)

akhlaq768
27th October, 2010, 09:06 AM
thanks for the link.. that review is over a year old... there must be a better system out there... can you recommend any for me.. want to spend roughly ?200

BenMHarvey
28th October, 2010, 05:15 AM
That ION System is still very much one of the best value units on the market and comes in a non BluRay model to save some cash

Plenty powerful for a standard HTPC

I'm not familar with retailers in the UK but if you want something more recent and powerful look at some M-ITX Systems

BenMHarvey
28th October, 2010, 05:16 AM
ASRock still lists that model in the top tier ASRock > Products > Mini PC Series (http://www.asrock.com/nettop/index.asp)

But they are all quite good