PDA

View Full Version : tv and movies on ps3?

sgerrard
8th January, 2010, 05:05 PM
Hi i recently bought a ps3 and have it hooked up online. After downlaoding the latest software update, i got the bbc iplayer added to my menu bar...

it works very well and shows a good quality picture on full screen.

Is there any other things like the bbc iplayer that we can add to the menu bar?

or are there any other websites that people use to watch tv & movies via the ps3......streaming with decent quality picture?

thanks

Raven
8th January, 2010, 05:18 PM
There was joox.net but last time I tried it on PS3 no movies would load....just so you know you can copy your own avi movies and tv shows directly to the PS3 hard drive if you want, even HD rips, that's what I did and now my PS3 is a proper independant media center lol

davvo
8th January, 2010, 05:23 PM
point your PS3 browser to tvcatchup.com

R3 makes it full screen

sgerrard
9th January, 2010, 12:24 AM
There was joox.net but last time I tried it on PS3 no movies would load....just so you know you can copy your own avi movies and tv shows directly to the PS3 hard drive if you want, even HD rips, that's what I did and now my PS3 is a proper independant media center lol

how do you go about doing that mate?, and where you get good quality hd movies from?

i have tried tvcatchup and it seems to work well, thanks for that..

Raven
9th January, 2010, 01:29 AM
Newsgroups or rapidshare or even your own collection imagine that! lol That's your best bet for the movies, if they are HD rips then they'll need to be 8.5gb in size to fit on a dual layer disc for copying, and the PS3 can be a bit finicky when it comes to playing certain specific types of audio so your files might need converting so it might take a bit of trial and error (which I've already done) conversions don't take long at all where needed, but once your file is burnt to the dual layer disc just pop it into your PS3 and then shift on over to the video tab and go to the disc and then hit the triangle button - you'll see there's an option for copy there, X marks the spot! lol

Just make sure your file is a single video file if it's a HD rip.

Another tip for you, if you're getting TV shows on your PS3 hard drive, have them arrange by Album type (just keep hitting the square button in the relevant section until it displays like that) because that then creates a folder for each video file which you can then rename, which is great for TV series like Lost or 24 as you can bung all the episode's of a season into a single folder and name it Season One for example. And obviously stand alone Xvid movies and HD rips can be labelled as such as well. It's not the cleanest of solutions, but it's the best organization it's currently going to get on the PS3.

Blueslimshady
9th January, 2010, 11:10 AM
i have just linked my pc to my ps3 and am now streaming stuff that i download via the tv. best thing ive ever done. all my pics movies and music at my finger tips even when someones using the pc:ciao:

sgerrard
12th January, 2010, 09:23 PM
i think raven has been banned....

is there anyway i can download a torrent using the webbrowser on the ps3...and then play that torrent via the ps3?

or if i have a .avi file on my laptop how would i go about watchign that file on my ps3?

is this even possible?

thanks

Raven
18th January, 2010, 03:12 PM
i think raven has been banned....

And notice how your question wasn't answered all week while I was gone.....

is there anyway i can download a torrent using the webbrowser on the ps3...and then play that torrent via the ps3?

Nope, not that I know of since the PS3 won't read torrent file programs. At least not to my knowledge.

or if i have a .avi file on my laptop how would i go about watchign that file on my ps3?

is this even possible?

Yup. You can do 1 of 2 things, you can either transfer it or you can you PS3MediaServer and stream it over. So it is definitely possible.

thanks

Welcome. ;)

sgerrard
20th January, 2010, 11:56 AM
And notice how your question wasn't answered all week while I was gone.....

Nope, not that I know of since the PS3 won't read torrent file programs. At least not to my knowledge.

Yup. You can do 1 of 2 things, you can either transfer it or you can you PS3MediaServer and stream it over. So it is definitely possible.

Welcome. ;)

thanks raven, nice to see you back...

how would i transer the .avi file from my laptop to the ps3?

cheers

dik
20th January, 2010, 02:30 PM
thanks raven, nice to see you back...

how would i transer the .avi file from my laptop to the ps3?

cheersstream it to the ps3 with ps3 media server
PS3 Media Server (http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/)

andy1weir
22nd January, 2010, 09:56 PM
you could also try using tversity its free to download just google it,
that allows you to stream or copy movies, music, pictures over to your ps3

McGudge
26th January, 2010, 02:06 PM
tversity is the way to go, very easy to use!

with regards to watching your "own" files, i recommend searching for .m2ts files. just type in "ps3" on pirate bay,there is a team of guys who do 1080p bluray rips (only 4gb as well,so doesnt take long to dload) cant b beaten, fantastic quality!

bazfresh
27th January, 2010, 12:51 PM
you used to be able to use http://torrentrelay.com/ for downloading through ps3 think you now have to pay subscription!!

sgerrard
9th February, 2010, 01:02 AM
tversity is the way to go, very easy to use!

with regards to watching your "own" files, i recommend searching for .m2ts files. just type in "ps3" on pirate bay,there is a team of guys who do 1080p bluray rips (only 4gb as well,so doesnt take long to dload) cant b beaten, fantastic quality!

hi mate i entered ps3 into pirate as you suggested but when i went to download the file it said "connect storage media at the save destination"

what do i have to do then?...

burkeyb01
11th February, 2010, 12:10 AM
yea" just put up OVGuide: Online Video Guide - Watch Free Videos (http://www.ovguide.com) you can watch new movies and tv with this link ok

barbour83
1st March, 2010, 07:38 AM
www.stagevu.com (http://www.stagevu.com) thats a good 1 for downloadin movies