PDA

View Full Version : Air con

mintoe
9th January, 2010, 02:19 PM
Hi all,

Several years ago I attended a not so good airconditiong course, the garage I worked in had just bought an automatic
aircon machine.
Anyway today in the local car boot I came across a refrigerant recovery machine, which I believe is for domestic & comercial systems,

what I would like to know is it ok to use on automotive
systems and what else would I need ?
does the new gas need to be pumped or is the vacumn
enough to fill it ?
Thans......mintoe

cristec
9th January, 2010, 03:30 PM
Hi does it state which gases it's suitable for, cars use R134a.
When you evacuate a system the vacuum in the system draws most of the gas charge in, the temperature of the gas container has a lot to do with how much gas goes into the system.
Sometimes it's necessary to heat the gas container with a heating band, to increase the pressure in the container.
The other way is to close the high pressure port, start the car and let the system draw the gas charge in, as a gas not a liquid (gas container up the right way).

HTH

Meat-Head
9th January, 2010, 03:41 PM
think you will find that in the uk (including Meat-Headshire) you need to be trained by law.

Another nice warning is about overfilling. Had a vulva one where some dick has overfilled it, and 30 seconds after a/c on fan ran till battery flat

Somebody jambed a screwdriver in the valve and let out a LOT of gas
the A/C man then put the gauges on it and it was still3 times over filled.

Can't show you the photo, but see in a magazine london way man picked up car after being gassed and the WHO front end blow off, looked like had had head on crash! Sometimes a compresser will take a dump if it's overfilled but not always.

cristec
9th January, 2010, 04:00 PM
From July 4, 2010, all Mobile Air Conditioning (MAC) technicians working with cars and car derived vans must have achieved, as a minimum requirement, a refrigerant handling qualification which fulfils the European Union F Gas (fluorinated greenhouse gas) regulation EC842-2006 and subsequent annex (EC307-2008), which expands on the qualification requirements.

This applies to any one in the garage that uses the equipment, no good having one person qualified.

Meat-Head
9th January, 2010, 04:05 PM
so how does the law stand with places like Meat-Head Motors where no body is trained in A/C have no epquitment (another new spelling) yet if it's an electrical fault/ecu/etc are they alloud to fix it?

E.G. you can have shotgun cartridges (think) but you need a licence to put them in the thing with a spout.

Oh if you get bored could you re-post that to the thread 'Legal Requirments'! thanks

cristec
9th January, 2010, 04:39 PM
I'm not sure, i would have thought that if it's just electrical or mechanical faults then there should be no probs.
I know the motor factor's will not be able to supply gas to none qualified garages.

mintoe
9th January, 2010, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the replies ,

refrigerants suitable for:

R-12, R-134a, R-401C, R-406A, R-500, R-401A
R-409A, R-401B, R-412A, R-411A, R-407D, R-22
R-411B, R-502, R-407C, R-402B, R408A, R-509
R-407A, R-404A, R-402A, R-507, R-407B, R-410A

The unit seems to be a higher spec than the same
type for car use I just hope it will be ok,
I am aware of the regulations ,
I know I will need to get scales ,pipes etc.

thanks again..........mintoe

Meat-Head
9th January, 2010, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the replies ,

refrigerants suitable for:

R-12, R-134a, R-401C, R-406A, R-500, R-401A
thanks again..........mintoe

Make you think of

YouTube - Chubby Brown - Who The ~~~~ Is Alice (LNDL)