PDA

View Full Version : Airlines Set To Ring Changes On Mobiles

thommo
29th March, 2008, 12:29 AM
Airlines Set To Ring Changes On Mobiles

http://static.sky.com/images/pictures/1648882.jpg

Passengers on UK aircraft could soon be able to use their own mobiles in European airspace.

Scheme will only run in Europe

Some airlines already offer passengers in-flight telephone services via their own network.

But under new plans passengers' mobiles will be connected to an on-board base station.

The system will only be switched on once the aircraft reaches a height of 9,840ft.

It will not be in use during take-off or landing.

Mobile users will be able to make and receive calls which will be routed via a satellite link to a network on the ground.

Calls will be billed through passengers' normal service providers.

The proposals need the backing of the European Aviation Safety Agency and the UK's Civil Aviation Authority before they can be implemented.

They have been developed jointly with other EU countries following a lengthy consultation exercise.

Communications watchdog Ofcom said: "The safety of passengers is paramount.

"It will be a matter for individual airlines to judge whether there is consumer demand for these services."

David Tansley of consultancy Deloitte said that the move may not lead to many people making calls from planes, though they would be likely to use email and SMS messages.

He added: "Ofcom's announcement may be something of a red herring - getting approval form European aviation authorities for using mobiles in flight may be far more onerous than getting approvals from the communication regulators.

"It is also unclear what level of call quality will be delivered and what the practicable services issues will be, for example frequent call drop outs. However the convenience on offer for business travellers may offset any quality issues."

charlie senator
29th March, 2008, 12:33 AM
About time to .Its been proven that the mobile signal doesn't interfere with the aircrafts systems, same as hospitals and they are starting to allow them now as well

thommo
29th March, 2008, 12:45 AM
im in two minds, after flying a lot can you imagine sitting next to one of those annoying people, add a mobile into the mix and it,ll be even worse, but on the up side i could turn into one of the annoying people by using mine.

can you imagine the noise with all the mobile ringtones going off lol.

Lainie
29th March, 2008, 02:25 AM
yes thommo agree with you. think it could get quite loud with mobiles. mind you i prob would use mine if not to call def to text.

charlie senator
29th March, 2008, 02:31 AM
im in two minds, after flying a lot can you imagine sitting next to one of those annoying people, add a mobile into the mix and it,ll be even worse, but on the up side i could turn into one of the annoying people by using mine.

can you imagine the noise with all the mobile ringtones going off lol.
Never thought about that Thommo yeah lets ban them all there is nothing worse than sitting on a bus or train and listening to all them mobiles going off we dont want them on planes as well

thommo
29th March, 2008, 03:25 AM
Never thought about that Thommo yeah lets ban them all there is nothing worse than sitting on a bus or train and listening to all them mobiles going off we dont want them on planes as well

what gets me is those kids that run around with there phones with the radio function or mp3 function turned on,it used to be bad with earphones but now there on loud speaker, who the hell wants to listen to that garbage. its the ones who usually wear a cap and have there joggers tucked in there socks i need not say more lol.