PDA

View Full Version : Saab 9-3 Windscreen washer pump

Devilfish
11th January, 2010, 02:24 PM
Hey mechanic gurus out there....

My windscreen washers stopped 'skooshing' over this wintery period. I use windscreen wash, not water, and the pipes are not frozen. The wipers still move when you turn them on so I don't think it's a fuse issue. Usually you can hear the pump when you turn them on and now you can't so this is why I think it's the pump.

My question is, how easy is it to change these? I think I can get a pump from a dealership for about ?16 but I also read you need to take the wing off to get to it.

Any advice please?

Cheers! :)

teuton
11th January, 2010, 03:01 PM
Here you go. No big deal at all.

Devilfish
11th January, 2010, 03:10 PM
Thanks very much teuton, doesn't look hard at all. Cheers! :)

chestre
12th January, 2010, 08:41 PM
hello,
was it the cold weather, or has the pump gone? I've got the same prob as well

Devilfish
12th January, 2010, 09:18 PM
Well, as it turns out, I think it was the pump that was just frozen cause after another day or so in the garage, it's started working again.

Meat-Head
12th January, 2010, 09:25 PM
Well, as it turns out, I think it was the pump that was just frozen cause after another day or so in the garage, it's started working again.

Saab one of them cars you only really see if you are fitting something, or taking something off.

Think that M-H-M has only had a handfull of faulty ones in the past umpteen yeras, all stupid faults as well.

cactikid
13th January, 2010, 12:14 AM
even screenwash freezes lol,might need a 50/50 mix.

mattlawro
13th January, 2010, 10:57 AM
Was fixed under warranty last year this year same problem and car out of warranty.... the dealer wont replace it even tho the pump is under a year old!!!! grrr never had these problems with bm

saabking
13th January, 2010, 11:13 AM
surely if it is new everyting under a year old is covered by the manufactors warrenty?

JIMBO
16th January, 2010, 08:30 PM
Nice One. thanks

djz31
5th February, 2010, 01:32 PM
Thanks. The download helped loads.

jolly jim
6th February, 2010, 11:05 AM
thanks for the info
jolly jim

dave_h
7th February, 2010, 11:32 PM
Seems a common problem then - mine pushes out fluid for a couple of seconds then blows the fuse. New pump on order, hopefully that'll sort it.

Glen_H
13th February, 2010, 12:46 PM
My 2008 Saab 9-3 has same issue - wipers working but washer doesn't. Found 2 fuse boxes but no idea which fuse to check before I even look at the washer. One in boot no lid nor index, One under bonnet has an index of numbers but nothing to show what each fuse is for.

Nothing in manual either and so far can find anything on Internet for fuse layout that shows washer.

rusky74
16th February, 2010, 05:31 PM
There are actually 3 fuse boxes, one in the boot, one on the passenger side of the dashboard (this is where the fuse removing tool is) facing the door, and the other under the bonnet.

The washer fuse is number 22, and should be 30amp, and can be found in the fuse box under the bonnet.

I doubt changing the fuse will help with the washer problem, as you usually have to change the pump on the washer bottle to fix this.:sheep:

mylesc
23rd February, 2010, 05:16 PM
Hi i seem to have what seesm to be a common problem with my washer pump, i have changed the fuse in it once to put some life back into it. Now it is not working at all, no sound from the pump either. The washer bottle is full so i know it's not split in the cold. How easy is it to access the washer pump, so i can check the wiring is ok, and or change the pump?
Any help will be greatfully received.
Then i can move onto the other problems i've got with the car!!!!:questionmark:

teuton
23rd February, 2010, 09:09 PM
What car is it? If it's a Saab 9-3 look at the attachmentin post 2 of this thread.

neilsavage
26th February, 2010, 05:55 PM
Hi,
I'm new here but seem to be having a similar problem to others, my Saab 9-3 (2005) washer pump has gone. Does anyone know where I can get one of these and how much am I likely to pay for one?

leksington
16th March, 2010, 09:09 PM
thanks! my promblem is now solved

Dompan
26th March, 2010, 08:29 AM
I have the same problem and I post this to get permission to download the attachment in post 2.

gmb45
26th March, 2010, 08:32 AM
I have the same problem and I post this to get permission to download the attachment in post 2.
no intro then Introduce Yourself (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f2/) :puke:

Dompan
26th March, 2010, 08:52 AM
Oh, sorry (a bit stressed), it's done now :angel:
http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f2/hello-dompan-sweden-104672/

I would like to take the opportunity to ask if someone knows where to find the information about the fuses (Saab 9-3 SS -07)

I'm at work and I don't have the "car-manual" at home.
The weather is not very nice so it would be nice to check the fuse before heading home...

iceman5005
7th April, 2010, 12:19 AM
thanks bro

alpinemauve
13th May, 2010, 10:36 AM
I have a similar problem. I've just changed the fuse but nothing. No pump noise. Can't download the helper file - is it because I'm a newbie?

teuton
13th May, 2010, 01:00 PM
Now, after your first post, you should be able to download. Anyway, why don't you introduce yourself in the corresponding section Introduce Yourself (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f2/) ?

alpinemauve
25th May, 2010, 03:23 PM
I've now changed all the fuses, bought and swapped the wiper stalk but still no joy.
Looking under the arch there are two pumps - are these both for the windscreen? I have no headlight washer - How will I know which one, if any is duff?

lennyd
26th May, 2010, 07:21 PM
thanks for the help

boodee
30th May, 2010, 12:44 PM
I've had same problem with washer since bad weather this winter - so expensive to go to saab dealer to have it repaired - also my spare key has stopped functionning altogether:giveup:

dafdiagnos
30th May, 2010, 01:47 PM
I've had same problem with washer since bad weather this winter - so expensive to go to saab dealer to have it repaired - also my spare key has stopped functionning altogether:giveup: just connect test light to washer pump, operate stalk, if test lamp lights but pump inop pull out & replace pump:top: & welcome to DK.

skullbiker
5th July, 2010, 11:10 PM
my saab has just developed the exact same problem. I'm gonna try the suggested fixes and hopefully get it put right. Thanks to all who posted.

jwinterton
15th July, 2010, 01:20 PM
Hi,
I have a Saab 9-3 which is repeatedly blowing the 30 Amp windscreen washer pump. I have decided to change it myself. I see instructions attached to a post above but I need to post before I can download an attachment. So here it is!. So thanks Teuton for the info although I haven't seen it yet obviously!

-J.

teuton
15th July, 2010, 01:54 PM
Hi jwinterton,

why not introduce yourself

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f2/

jamiehop2006
7th August, 2010, 10:11 AM
Hi there.
Good to hear I'm not the only one with this problem. I just failed the MOT due to the windscreen washers not working (even though the wipers work!).... frustrating! Still, at least that's the only thing that it failed on.
I'm gonna check the fuse in the engine bay, but thinking I'm gonna have to swap out the pump aswell.
Thanks for all the info in the posts.

jamiehop2006
7th August, 2010, 10:47 AM
Quick Update:

SYMPTOMS: windscreen wipers work on normal, but washers and windscreen wipers don't work when activating washers

Checked both fuses 22(washers, windscreen) and 15 (washers, headlamps) under the bonnet - even though I don't have washers on the headlamps! - 22 was blown, so I replaced that and the wipers now work when I activate the washers, but still nothing from the washers. Next step, check the washer pump. The washer fluid is completely filled up and I can't hear anything from the pump, so I'll be stumped if it isn't the pump!!

ziggystardust
8th August, 2010, 07:43 AM
Saab one of them cars you only really see if you are fitting something, or taking something off.

Think that M-H-M has only had a handfull of faulty ones in the past umpteen yeras, all stupid faults as well.
of all it's a saab , 4 fault's , the name , the spark-plugs cassette (di cassette) petrolpump , crank-sensor .
otherwise a good car (hate the car i worked in the factory for nearly 19 year's)

hill751
29th November, 2010, 12:15 PM

Was hoping to download this help guide how do I do it. any help please.

Got a saab 9-3 06 sportwaggon in black great car.

TREELEE
2nd December, 2010, 06:35 PM
I HAVE SAME PROBLEM THE 30 AMP FUSE KEEPS BLOWING:boring:

hill751
2nd December, 2010, 07:27 PM
I HAVE SAME PROBLEM THE 30 AMP FUSE KEEPS BLOWING:boring:

I'm changing the pump this weekend.

hill85
3rd December, 2010, 07:35 PM
im just posting to see attachment 2:thefinger:

hill85
3rd December, 2010, 07:41 PM
hi teuton any chance i can see the attachment on the 9-3 wiper pump, pretty sure mine is gone too and will probably go at it myelf

ainslie01
4th December, 2010, 05:51 PM
Hi
I have the same problem wit my Saab 9.3. The pump does not make any noise or function what-so-ever. Any advice please

pozloyd67
4th December, 2010, 10:53 PM
Hi
I have the same problem wit my Saab 9.3. The pump does not make any noise or function what-so-ever. Any advice please

So we're all in the same boat.. cant see out of the front portholes and risking attention from plodinbloo...

"Hello Hello Hello - young man, wot have you been doing to get your windscreen all covered in schist.. wot just stop working a minute ago??... yep heard it...here's a cristmas card my son - you get 3 bonus points and ?60 for us to spend on some new truncheons - apppy noo year!!

pozloyd67
4th December, 2010, 10:59 PM
Hopefully I get to see the hidden attachment now and prevent horrendous problem - having to drive my wife's ford focus tdci when there is a aero turbo sitting there looking mean, wearing dark glasses formed by road film and lorry droppings!

Loving the site and helpful stuff.

Seasons greetings from up north!

teuton
5th December, 2010, 04:46 AM
For all the misty, wisty, disty saab windows., once more.

tenjoe
6th December, 2010, 09:40 PM
I have the same problem - happened last week in the snow. Wipers stopped working and so did the washer - no washer fluid coming out. The pump is quiet so I suspect the pump is gone as well. Could you please help teuton? or any of you guys?

Where can I buy a replacement pump, and how easy is it to replace?

teuton
7th December, 2010, 02:22 AM
I have the same problem - happened last week in the snow. Wipers stopped working and so did the washer - no washer fluid coming out. The pump is quiet so I suspect the pump is gone as well. Could you please help teuton? or any of you guys?

Where can I buy a replacement pump, and how easy is it to replace?

Check the attachment 2 posts above.

stevehang5
9th December, 2010, 02:56 PM
Posting to access file too.

brassington
9th December, 2010, 03:01 PM
posting to access

tim27w
9th December, 2010, 11:22 PM
must be a bad week for washer breakdown, gone off this AM

MartinLove
11th December, 2010, 08:44 AM
Posting to download file.

m3 bmc
11th December, 2010, 12:23 PM
having the same problem which started in cold weather

stevew
13th December, 2010, 07:52 PM
Same problem here, no pump, changed fues, sometimes wipers swipe on eash sometimes not!

smirnoff_rules
13th December, 2010, 08:27 PM
this thread saved me some time , got one of these coming friday with the same fault , blown fuse replace because we thought if had iced and blow a day later so has to be pump then

leginnamenots
14th December, 2010, 11:37 AM
My washer pump has stopped in the cold weather this year and last, both time it was a fuse. To avoid a trip to the dealer everytime I would like to do this myself and need to see the fuse box map. Where can I find this ?

milliemollieblack
16th December, 2010, 09:16 PM
Hi! I'm new to this but have the same problem with my Saab and would like to access the help in post 2 but can't. Can anyone please help as I'm new to this forum.Many thanks.

dizzeeg
17th December, 2010, 12:27 AM
Hi, new on the forum. Having the same problem as everybody else seems to be. No sound from the washer pump, wipers work fine and headlight washers work ok. Just need to find the pump to check the wiring, and i need to make a post to download the manual so here it is.
Thanks. Steve.

robertg
17th December, 2010, 08:19 AM
Hi,

I am from ROmania and have the same issue with the washer pump but I think that it appeared due to extreme cold weather. I guess that the washing liquid got frozen. Is it a risk of damaging the pump if so?

krusty4285
18th December, 2010, 05:56 PM
Hi Folks

Same problem with Saab 9-3 07 model.
Just posting here so I can have a look at this download about the issue.

Tested the fuses and relays, all seem to be ok, so I am assuming this pump has blown in the freezing weather.

Rear washer works fine.

Thanks

jamlau
19th December, 2010, 02:50 PM
Hi all,

Same problem on my 2003 vector SS, posting to access.

Many thanks.

andyrynk
20th December, 2010, 07:46 PM
Well I'm very hopeful that this attachment will help me solve my problem - 5 days till Christmas & not optimistic about getting a Saab garage to fix it.

Just for the record - water bottle ran dry, topped up with pre-mixed solution, -8?C night - next morning the pump tried to spray but jets frozen. After 2 attempts, all went quiet. Changed fuse 22 & it blew on first spray :hmmmm2: