PDA

View Full Version : AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH wireless network

firemouth
30th September, 2008, 12:50 PM
ok, i have a Dynamode BR6004 WG1 wireless router, connected to the internet. from this i have one PC (desktop on XP pro sp3) connected by wire, with full internet and one (laptop on vistra home premium sp1) connected by WiFi, again with full internet access, and it states local too. now how the hell do i make some form of network between the two computers? i've tried the network connection wizard on both computers, but at the end of the process it says there was a problem installing the drivers. networking is something i never really got into, as yet, so i may need walked through the solution.

caveman_nige
30th September, 2008, 01:36 PM
I assume you have the wifi router set as a DHCP server and that you have the two machines in the same workgroup. Have you changed the firewall properties to allow file and print sharing? Can you see the other machine in the network neighbourhood [mynetwork places/entire network/microsoft windows network/*workgroupname*]? Make sure you share a drive or folder on the PC/laptop.

Let us now and we can point you from that point in the next direction..

XP to Vista networking and file/print sharing - Tech Support Guy Forums (http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/540177-xp-vista-networking-file-print.html)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2008/07/29/ecrboot122.xml

firemouth
30th September, 2008, 01:41 PM
I assume you have the wifi router set as a DHCP server and that you have the two machines in the same workgroup. Have you changed the firewall properties to allow file and print sharing? Can you see the other machine in the network neighbourhood [mynetwork places/entire network/microsoft windows network/*workgroupname*]? Make sure you share a drive or folder on the PC/laptop.

Let us now and we can point you from that point in the next direction..

XP to Vista networking and file/print sharing - Tech Support Guy Forums (http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/540177-xp-vista-networking-file-print.html)

yep i have DHCP set. i cant get both computers on the same network, as neither can see the other. the lappie sees the router, but the desktop sees nothing!

caveman_nige
1st October, 2008, 12:25 PM
Have you installed LLTD (Link Layer Topology Discovery) on the XP box? What about the firewalls, disable them first and get the machines seeing each other..

firemouth
2nd October, 2008, 03:57 PM
Have you installed LLTD (Link Layer Topology Discovery) on the XP box? What about the firewalls, disable them first and get the machines seeing each other..

thanks ill check that. i'm using Network Magic at the moment, and very well it works too. but to upgrade to the full version, means putting my credit/debit card details on the net, something i will never ever do! so i need to find the work round, or find a retailer that sells the thing.

Hejira
2nd October, 2008, 07:14 PM
Are both machines in the same WorkGroup?

The defaults are generally mshome or workgroup they should be the same on both, you can change the workgroup name to whatever you want but must be the same on both machines.

Just by renaming these settings can sort things out.

Users, passwords and permissions can be the next pain in the arse but getting machines to see each other in windows explorer should be you first task.

firemouth
3rd October, 2008, 02:11 PM
Are both machines in the same WorkGroup?

The defaults are generally mshome or workgroup they should be the same on both, you can change the workgroup name to whatever you want but must be the same on both machines.

Just by renaming these settings can sort things out.

Users, passwords and permissions can be the next pain in the arse but getting machines to see each other in windows explorer should be you first task.

thanks, when i have time i will look into this. extricating the family from both pc's at the same time, can be quite a problem. lol

firemouth
3rd November, 2008, 11:38 PM
ok, so i can now answer my own question.
for vista home permium.
first, install network magic, let it sort out settings on both, dont bother cracking it. just download the trial prog. un-install network magic set vista to view all networks,go to your router. settings, go to the router/routing tab and set your comps ip and mask.(ipconfig/all) your network needs to be set as private. job done!