PDA

View Full Version : vista to xp

sueskeff
1st October, 2008, 10:04 AM
is it possible to remove vista so i can change to xp really dont like vista but it came pre innstalled. thanks

Curious123
1st October, 2008, 11:06 AM
I would be careful about scrapping the OS that the pc came with as it may effect your warranty. Why not stick with it for a bit as a lot of things in Vista can be made to look like XP so that it is easier to get used to the new operating system. Also if you want to install XP than you will probably have to delete the pc completely and re-install with XP and you may have problems finding all the drivers.

wiz569
1st October, 2008, 12:48 PM
Or you could dual boot it with xp and then if you need to return it for repair etc just erase the xp partition.

caveman_nige
2nd October, 2008, 07:59 AM
If you really don't want to have Vista and do not want to create a dual boot you should ghost an image of the current installation on to DVD and then if you decide in the future for any reason that you wanna go back to it you can and very easily...

Dreamer
2nd October, 2008, 07:02 PM
When you install Windows XP, it'll remove the Vista bootloader and use its own instead, making it boot into xp only on start up.

more info here-

Installing XP After Vista - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki (http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Installing+XP+After+Vista)

rammhead
3rd October, 2008, 11:53 PM
Just got rid of Vista on my sons laptop, Such a Resorce hog

Raven
4th October, 2008, 02:00 AM
Just got rid of Vista on my sons laptop, Such a Resorce hog

Slightly off topic but just out of curiosity am I the only one who finds Vista non problematic in any way and just as good as XP if not better ?

It might be just what I use my PC for but from my point of view I don't find Vista to be a problem really - well hand on heart not more so than XP was at any point.

I tend to find that alot of Vista hate is either down to under powered hardware or most people hating on it because that's the popular thing to do apparently but I do not think Vista is anywhere near as bad as what people make it out to be and it certainly isn't that bad at all from my experience with Vista. In fact I prefer Vista to XP to be honest (I haven't switched back or dual booted since) even though XP is undoubtedly a little quicker all across the board but Vista has alot more graphical depth.

The only thing I can honestly say I don't like about Vista and one definite area that XP undeniably has over Vista is that of customisation - XP is highly moddable whereas what I don't like about Vista is it's next to impossible to edit the Vista startup jingle. I like it lol but that's not the point!

Elric
4th October, 2008, 03:17 AM
i would be going for another hdd to put xp on,then if the pc ~~~~ed up
and need to be returned just swap the drives back over

i hope this helps....

KillerDog
12th October, 2008, 01:28 PM
Youll find that whether your using a pc or a laptop, windows xp will give you better performance. Windows vista is slow and takes up alot of system resources.

scoutmaster
24th October, 2008, 06:23 PM
Vista on my PC is faster than XP :S I like the sleek look Modern

abdell1982
3rd November, 2008, 02:01 AM
no way xp is faster

narenvik
3rd November, 2008, 05:34 AM
Slightly off topic but just out of curiosity am I the only one who finds Vista non problematic in any way and just as good as XP if not better ?
I'm a techy who has been techying since before windows and I am certain that each OS release has deliberately made it harder to get to the things that I actually use. In a way its good as there's less chance of the end user finding it to screw it up. I charge extra to support vista and advise my customers to downgrade if possible, occasionally if I respect their IT skills I will recommend Linux.

Raven
8th November, 2008, 02:04 AM
I'll agree that tech stuff on Vista can be a real pain....I especially hate the "rights and heritage" bs when all you want to do is delete a file that's not even important and yet Vista won't let you! That's the only big problem that I have with Vista but I do feel the positives far outweigh the negatives.....as for Vista being a resource hog come on this is 2008 and almost 2009 are we still using computers that struggle to load Windows 95 in under 8 minutes flat ? To be honest I shudder to think how people hope to get on using a computer for multi purpose usage with their specs way below a certain threshold.....in other words if Vista is a resource hog/very slow on your machine then it either needs upgrading badly or a good clean out quite simply....like I said it's 2008 and any half way decent or modern PC shouldn't be troubled with running Vista.

As for Linux, I've tried it and it is fast...I couldn't get used to it, I hear the first thing they tell you with Linux OS's is to unlearn Windows as it's the best thing you can do when learning Linux OS platforms. Seemed abit convoluted to me though and not great for compatibility epsecially in gaming.

I still don't think Vista is nearly as bad as it's made out to be, Windows 7 won't be the "savior" either because it's using alot of the same architecture as Vista uses and really if you have a machine that can run it Vista isn't bad. I prefer it over XP and I wouldn't go back now.

XP is only better for speed, compatibility and for control for better or worse, you can delete any file in XP without bother whereas in can be a real pain in Vista sometimes.....and XP IS faster than Vista because it has alot less graphical stuff to load, the downside to which it doesn't look anywhere near as rich as Vista does....the funny part is that people will then put Vista skins on their XP operating systems and by the time they are finished getting it as accurate looking and sounding as possible they have about 6 different softwares running to simulate things and their resource usage by the time they are anything like finished is the same as Vista proper! I know this because I was one of those people that found out the tough way.....before I upgraded and when XP died on me (Vista still fine....system restore button in an easy to find place is a god send) I thought at this point I'll take the slight speed hit and have Vista proper and gain the some extra's if nothing else. I suppose it's just a matter of taste and requirement vs what your machine can comfortably handle.....then there's the age old thing of alot of people just not liking change in general. Well personally for me it's 2009 almost and I know who's side I'm on.

Also is it just me, or do you get a superior fullscreen picture quality in WMP 11 as opposed to the earlier version that comes with XP ? I thought I did but initially but it might have just been my eyes lol.