PDA

View Full Version : PES2009 PC Demo Opinions

Raven
3rd October, 2008, 12:10 AM
Well I am indifferent to say the least, there's some elements which have been improved which I like such as player control and graphical sharpness/detail....however there's alot of crucial things on this demo which I do not like such as the fact that the manual goalkeepers cursor (therefore your ability to manually control the goalies movements) has inexplicably been taken out...I also don't like the new shooting mechanics at all - the ball basically feels like a ball of iron in that you cannot get any real power behind your shots even if you fill up the power meter. Make no mistake about it the game is insanely difficult even on medium difficulty, however most of this is down to what is in my opinion poor design - keep in mind I have owned every PES game since the pro evo franchise started and I am including ISS Pro Evolution games on the old PSX aswell and have played the games religiously so I know what I am talking about with PES games and what is required when a new game comes out....this year however I feel they have ruined a good game with the shooting mechanics and the manual goal keeper cursor removal....I didn't realise how much I relied/used that feature until now that it has been taken away and it does ruin the game for me when combined with in my opinion a shooting system that has gone downhill.

I hope the full game is alot better than the demo but I am not holding my breath. I've heard big things about the new FIFA game on next gen consoles but I haven't played it yet. If it's anything like last year but more fluid and responsive I think FIFA will be the better game this year.

I get the impression that alot of PES fans are so wrapped up in the "improvement" in core gameplay this year over last years game, that they don't seem to realise that the game just hasn't done anything on next gen platforms and is living off it's PS2 heyday.

I think what PES needs more than anything is a game engine overhaul.

Another thing I don't like about PES2009 is that the game looks (the nets! yuk!) just like PES2008 aswell....everything about it looks same old, same old.

I hope the game will grow on me as time goes on but based on the demo and if I had a gun put to my head I'd have to say that I am not impressed. The shameful thing is that what ruins it this year could have easily been avoided or fixed they didn't need to change or take out so drastically what they did this year! Then again it's Konami, when does anything ever make sense with them ?

darkgameover
6th October, 2008, 06:07 PM
I think the graphics are a big improvement from pes2008 tbh. They are much more colourful and detailed. Just zoom in on a replay and u can even see the shirt wrinkling!!

The gameplay seems ok so far too. It feels a little more speeded up from 2008 and the AI is improved in defence now. Your team-mates actually run to the ball with you but still has the sense to cover opposition attackers in other areas. Just try running up to the edge of the box without shooting and see how much space you get now!! Not alot.
I played in the regular difficulty and it felt quite easy with me scoring a good 3-4 goals per game. The keepers were pretty bad on this level with them palming shots into the edge of the 6 yard box which allowed me a free goal. Pumping the diff up a level made the game more difficult and does improve the keepers (at least until we work out all the cheap goals!).

No commentary in the demo makes the game feel a bit weird but makes all the other sounds more prominent. The sound of the ball being kicked seems a bit hollow. Kinda like you're kicking a beach ball hard! The stadium atmosphere is more refined with the chanting but can get a bit repetitive.

The most important aspect of the game, online, is still a mystery to me. Will we get more than 2 players online in the 1 game? Still can't find an answer after trawling the net. You can however, play up to 4 players in the online Legend mode but after playing Fifa09's similar mode i'm not quite convinced as to how good this might be. It can get a bit boring if you're a striker waiting for the ball to come up to you!

The game is already configured to all the right buttons if you're using an Xbox 360 controller :). I've heard that there are more problems with using PS2 controllers though, especially the analog control (which is useful as u can use the right analog stick to make passes into space) so you should maybe be prepared :S

The Pes2009 demo is 20 times better than the Fifa09 demo (and the full game). No contest. Looks like Fifa is out in the cold for another year for me :musicus:

Peace :barscarf:

Raven
7th October, 2008, 03:36 PM
Well I've since played the Fifa 09 on the 360 and I have to be honest and say I found it to be immediately more fun and playable than the PES 2009 demo that I played.

If the PES full game is the same as the demo then Fifa is definitely the better game this year and that's just from a gameplay perspective and before mentioning presentation and online which is years ahead of PES.

Based on the demo I played I do not like this year's PES at all. First time I've ever said that - it's also the first time I've ever said a Fifa game has better gameplay over a PES game but based off the demo this year it's true.