PDA

View Full Version : Aquiring network address

theboss
17th February, 2008, 12:02 PM
I have recently changed Laptop and my new laptop will not connect automatically to my wireless router. I can connect manually to the router using the IP address but the VPN software does not work this way. Has anyone ever expirienced this problem ?

Devilfish
17th February, 2008, 01:47 PM
Hi bossman, welcome to the forum. :)

Try going into your control panel > wireless networks. Do a scan for available wireless networks or refresh the list.

Connect to your router if it's available on the list. If you have encryption enabled on the router you will need to know the access key or passphrase. After it connects, it should remember it and always connect.

theboss
1st March, 2008, 10:45 AM
I have tried all of this until I am blue in the face. The last thing to try is changing my router. Other laptop's connect to my router easily and I know the pass phrase etc. The laptop I am wanting to use connects to other routers. So I am a bit mystified.

oneqi
12th April, 2008, 04:30 PM
make sure that your laptop is setup to obtain it's IP address automatically (possibly got changed somehow) the other possibility could be a firewall problem (try disabling it and see if it connects) ..

vishybaby
15th April, 2008, 11:42 AM
try to get ip automatically and repair your connection..

ninjaman
15th April, 2008, 12:11 PM
Maybe something to do with the wpa settings, some wireless cards like the old one will not connect to wpa just wep.

rickybobby
15th April, 2008, 03:47 PM
it sounds like ther eis a problem with ur network card settings. Right click on ur connection icon and choose ur adaptor. click on the advanced tab and check ur netwrok card settings. If this is set to obtain an IP address automatically then its a firewall issue.

ronb62
16th April, 2008, 05:16 PM
are you using the windows software or the manufacturers of the network card to make your network connection? Usually best to use windows . Before trying this delete the settings for your current connection completely! I have seen this problem several times, it has been different things includin Norton internet security (pah!) Good luck
Ron

C64
16th April, 2008, 07:06 PM
About a month ago I took the SP3 beta and my wireless kept hanging at 'acquiring network address', i removed SP3 and it connected again no problem.

Just wondering if the OP has maybe taken an update?

partchy
27th April, 2008, 01:39 PM
Make sure you have the latest drivers installed for your laptop wireless card. Sounds like a wireless security incompability

sed
27th April, 2008, 05:23 PM
make sure dhcp is enabled on both the router and the laptop is set to obtain ip address automatically. Also, make sure you havent set up anything else like mac address filtering and that you are entering the encryption key right. After that i would disable any personal firewalls ie zonealarm or windows firewall just to make sure.

Sometimes, for me, i need to go to network connections and disable my wireless connection and then re-enable it.

Let us know how you get on.

caveman_nige
1st May, 2008, 08:02 AM
I do not want to sound cheeky mate, but check to see if your WIFI card in the laptop is switched on. I find in many cases the wireless antennae is not seeing ~~~~ all because there is a little switch on some laptops that enables you to power on and off your wifi and bluetooth for both security and power saving reasons.

Let us know if you have cracked it yet or whether you have launched the sucker out of the window..

On an IBM use press FN + F5, on some clones its a little slider switch...

dkRookie
3rd May, 2008, 09:41 PM
Hi, in my bad experiences with WiFi connection to my wireless router i have experienced the following:

1) DNS caching. Ressolved by going to command propmt and typing "IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS"

2) Wireless channel mismatch. Ressolved by setting static channel on router to European setting of 11.

3) Existing IP settings in the properties of the network card. NOTE: Ensure that you are looking at the correct network interface settings. Ressolved by selecting the obtain settings option

Hope this helps in fixing your problem. Other provide more info on your router and your new laptop.

Good luck!