PDA

View Full Version : CAM advice/Help

emmanneil
3rd October, 2008, 12:34 PM
hi i am just getting used to this so please be nice
i got a 1.8M dish that is motorised in my garden and i live in cyprus, currently on astra B,C etc etc.
when i finally figure out how to set up the motor side of it, i am looking at watching $howtime on nilesat 101/102 on 7W and some other channels i know that these are irdeTo ,the question that i am after is what is a CAM and a CCCAM ? and if i get an irdeto cam and a viaccess CAM will i need two seperate cards for each. just image i am a 5 year old child , in fact a 2 year old and you are explaing CAMs to me. any advice that anyone can give would be great, PM me if you like

Regards

hackenz
3rd October, 2008, 04:47 PM
emmanneil
A CAM is a piece of hardware (like a card reader) that slots in to your satellite receiver & allows you to insert & decrypt the viewing card for your broadcaster.

This allows the satellite manufacturer to produce a generic receiver in which you put in a CAM relevant to your broadcasters encryption system (conax,irdeto etc).

Today the satellite community uses softcams, these are programs which run within the receivers memory that emulate CAM's.

CCcam is a softcam/emulator, not only can it decode most encryption systems it can also allow the sharing of a legimate card between a number of users either by lan or the internet.

EDIT having read your post again, you would be looking at a 7*** Dreambox which has 2 card readers & running CCcam could decrypt both cards.

Hackenz :unionflag:

emmanneil
3rd October, 2008, 05:49 PM
well thanks for all the info , that cleared up a few things, i currently have a dm500s which i was given so for now i am going to stick to that, but i can get a CAM to fit in there i take it , just means i will have to keep changing the CAM, i have just been invited by a close friend of a friend to join his CS group which i take it means will not need most of the CAMs anyway ?pleaase be kind as i am still learning

Thanks for you info

~N:shot:

hackenz
3rd October, 2008, 08:07 PM
No if you already have a 500s & are joining a CS group then CCcam is all you will need.

Hackenz :unionflag:

emmanneil
4th October, 2008, 05:57 AM
thanks for the help, hopefuly final question .if the CS can not do a certain channel , then if i had the CAM for the sat then what would be the best card to get or are all the cards the same it just depends on what you put on them

hackenz
4th October, 2008, 10:24 AM
Any half decent CS group would have cards for ALL subscription services, chances are if you can't receive it in a CS it's not worth having.

Hackenz