PDA

View Full Version : Volvo EDC16C31 ECU bricked? After purchasing a file.

Sefior
5th November, 2020, 02:09 PM
Hello.
I read Volvo 1.6D 109HP ECU with BDM, and all was Ok, I saved it as 3 files.

I asked a company in Norway to do a DPF off for the flash maps file and they gave me a DPF off file.

I wrote the file to the ECU and writing was successful.

I am using a clone master Ktag btw, but I have done ECU read and writes more than 100 times and never had a problem.

When I connected the ECU to the car, it did not start, the ECU was not recognized at all.
No engine light, diagnostic tool did not even read the ECU when it was connected to the car.

I removed the ECU and tried to read / write again, but now it only gives me "communication error".

I tried to read with the original KTAG slave tool, same there, error..

What could have happend?

What can I do to fix this?

I have attached all the read files and also the dpf off file.

peechie
5th November, 2020, 02:22 PM
You should always be able to read again with KTAG unless ECU is physically damaged, check the BDM pins are correct on the pads.

Try writing READ.MPC

Sefior
5th November, 2020, 02:33 PM
You should always be able to read again with KTAG unless ECU is physically damaged, check the BDM pins are correct on the pads.

Try writing READ.MPC

I can not write or read anything.

The BDM pins are correct, checked many times.

bobolin4o
5th November, 2020, 02:59 PM
The DPF off file is for OBD writing, partial read file, the car will not start, of course...
But as peechie said - you should can write whatever you want with BDM!
Probably you burned the ECU when try to read it second time, because of wrong connection.
Take other ECU with same reference and flash it with the first backup - will works...

pinotec
5th November, 2020, 03:14 PM
if try read with original ktag bench mode ?

Sefior
5th November, 2020, 04:26 PM
The DPF off file is for OBD writing, partial read file, the car will not start, of course...
But as peechie said - you should can write whatever you want with BDM!
Probably you burned the ECU when try to read it second time, because of wrong connection.
Take other ECU with same reference and flash it with the first backup - will works...

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it.

How do you mean I burned the ECU because of wrong connection? I used BDM, and the pins was right on the pad.

Are you sure the DPF off file is for kess reading and not ktag?

Sefior
5th November, 2020, 04:27 PM
if try read with original ktag bench mode ?

I tried to read with original Ktag slave BDM and also did not work.

Babos
5th November, 2020, 04:51 PM
Bobi is right you write CMD OBD read (just calibr)flash data.
But after that you can write back bdm flash and all dumps and ecu must restore and car work,
If you damage ecu when open or use wrong connection you damage ecu and car not start.

Sefior
5th November, 2020, 05:01 PM
Bobi is right you write CMD OBD read (just calibr)flash data.
But after that you can write back bdm flash and all dumps and ecu must restore and car work,
If you damage ecu when open or use wrong connection you damage ecu and car not start.

Weird that they give me an OBD file when I gave them KTAG file..

I am 100% sure that I have not physically damaged the ECU, this happend after I wrote the file.

I should be able to read it again but I can not ..

The ecu has no damages.

sonho1999
5th November, 2020, 06:25 PM
write your original flash reading with bdm 100
I noticed you didn't read eprom
if bdm 100 or other does not recognize your ecu there is only one solution remove flash and write flash in the programmer
these and other units I do without opening ecu with VF2 flasher with full reading internal / external flash / eprom / mpc

a500tut
5th November, 2020, 06:49 PM
Try to buy the same ECU and write your data to it in seconds. Check your Ktag before recording for performance on another test ECU.

Sefior
6th November, 2020, 06:18 PM
write your original flash reading with bdm 100
I noticed you didn't read eprom
if bdm 100 or other does not recognize your ecu there is only one solution remove flash and write flash in the programmer
these and other units I do without opening ecu with VF2 flasher with full reading internal / external flash / eprom / mpc

Hello.
I read eeprom also but did not attach it sorry.
I tried with fgtech galleto but it also could not connect to the ecu.
What is my solution? Or I have to buy a new one?

Sefior
6th November, 2020, 06:19 PM
Try to buy the same ECU and write your data to it in seconds. Check your Ktag before recording for performance on another test ECU.

The cheapest used one costs 350€ in Sweden, thats why I try to fix it first.

Is there no solution at all other than changing the ECU?

Sefior
21st November, 2020, 02:36 PM
I bought an used ECU.

I wrote all files by themself, one by one, mpc + fls + eeproom.

The files wrote successfully.

But the car still doesn’t start?

What could be wrong?

Not even cranking engine.

With diagnostic tool, I can not read the engine, it says failed to disconnect.

Sefior
24th November, 2020, 10:01 AM
Do anyone know what solution can be for this car?

sniegavirs
24th November, 2020, 11:06 AM
You opened VOLVO EDC16C31 ecu to do BDM or did some cutting through ECU case to get to the BDM port??

Sefior
24th November, 2020, 01:00 PM
I opened it very carefully and made sure to not break or damage anything.

peechie
24th November, 2020, 04:00 PM
Replacement ECU has SAME numbers on the case?

With new ECU does your diagnostics tool connect and read fault codes etc?

Sefior
24th November, 2020, 04:05 PM
Replacement ECU has SAME numbers on the case?

With new ECU does your diagnostics tool connect and read fault codes etc?

Yes, its same original number.

No, it does not read ECU fault codes.. It can not connect to ECU.

I have written the files correctly.

peechie
24th November, 2020, 04:07 PM
Yes, its same original number.

No, it does not read ECU fault codes.. It can not connect to ECU.

I have written the files correctly.

Read the ECU again and Attach files from your NEW ECU

Sefior
24th November, 2020, 04:16 PM
Read the ECU again and Attach files from your NEW ECU

I have attached original files, and even the replacement ecu files.

I have also attached the read files AFTER I wrote the original files on the new ECU.

Is there anything wrong?

peechie
24th November, 2020, 04:33 PM
Seems okay EEPROM inside WinOLS has same VIN number from READ.EPR and read 2 after writing org read.EPR

But eh CKS is different, try writing .EPR again.

Just to confirm, you wrote files like this...

READ.EPR---->EEPROM ST95320
READ.FLS---->EXTFLASH M58BW016DB (MAPS)
READ.MPC--->MICRO MPC563/MPC564

Also your plug in is P113 on KTAG?

Sefior
24th November, 2020, 04:49 PM
Seems okay EEPROM inside WinOLS has same VIN number from READ.EPR and read 2 after writing org read.EPR

But eh CKS is different, try writing .EPR again.

Just to confirm, you wrote files like this...

READ.EPR---->EEPROM ST95320
READ.FLS---->EXTFLASH M58BW016DB (MAPS)
READ.MPC--->MICRO MPC563/MPC564

Also your plug in is P113 on KTAG?

I wrote the eeprom again, still doesnt work.

Yes sir, I wrote it exactly like you mention it.

peechie
24th November, 2020, 05:16 PM
I wrote the eeprom again, still doesnt work.

Yes sir, I wrote it exactly like you mention it.

I know the checksum is different for some reason, maybe someone can look further into this?

Sefior
24th November, 2020, 06:54 PM
I know the checksum is different for some reason, maybe someone can look further into this?

Do you know any solution ?

sniegavirs
24th November, 2020, 09:18 PM
I opened it very carefully and made sure to not break or damage anything.
If you accessed the BDM port by opening the ECU and removing PCB from aluminum side then i can congratulate you. You killed 2 ECU's!!! :congrats:

P.S. And why did you even read BDM just to remove DPF? You could easily read and write the map part using k-line pin... Or maybe KTAG is the only tool you have?

g5n14
24th November, 2020, 10:30 PM
Man 100% sure its a dead ECU.

Always do them using kess by connecting CAN directly.

Very bad idea to take PCB out, done it a dozen of times, But with Some really special techniques, main thing is to avoid bending the PCB, otherwise MCU deballs from the PCB. If you did it with screwdrivers and bensin PCB - Both are dead with 100% chance.

I repaired ECUs after unexperienced tuners - just needs a proper reballing and sometimes chips in the corner of the front side gets detached (in that case no BDM r/w)

Sefior
24th November, 2020, 10:34 PM
If you accessed the BDM port by opening the ECU and removing PCB from aluminum side then i can congratulate you. You killed 2 ECU's!!! :congrats:

P.S. And why did you even read BDM just to remove DPF? You could easily read and write the map part using k-line pin... Or maybe KTAG is the only tool you have?

Is it 100% the other ECU is dead? It reads and writes still, not like the first one who doesnt read or write anymore..
I had no idea that you could not open EDC16C31, I am used to opening ECUs and reading it normal.. Did not know these brick because of that..

Is there any other ECU type that you can not open?

I would like to know in advance :)

g5n14
24th November, 2020, 10:38 PM
Is it 100% the other ECU is dead? It reads and writes still, not like the first one who doesnt read or write anymore..
I had no idea that you could not open EDC16C31, I am used to opening ECUs and reading it normal.. Did not know these brick because of that..

EDC16C31 Mercedes, EDC17CP45 BMW, MEVD172P BMW, MEVD1724 BMW, MEVD1729 BMW, MEVD172G BMW, MEVD1726 BMW VAG MED17.5, 17.5.25, 17.5.21 also same. If you need to lift board or drill something - always risk of damaging PCB/contaminating ECU with metal residuals.

P.S. I have never damaged Any of those, and I have opened all of them listed above for years before i got proper tools. You just need to use brain and search buttons. Do your homework in time to sleep well.

1st ECU is dead With no com to BDM Because of detached chip Legs in the cornee of the front side (i can make a photo tomorrow When i am at work)

2nd ECUs MCU is partially deballed from PCB, you can reball it and it will work.

brmservice
24th November, 2020, 10:41 PM
did you tried to restore using the single file from bdm read , instead of write them separately one by one (fls , mpc , eep)?

g5n14
24th November, 2020, 10:46 PM
did you tried to restore using the single file from bdm read , instead of write them separately one by one (fls , mpc , eep)?

MCU doesnt get Power/communication signals Because of detached component legs. Will not work.

sniegavirs
24th November, 2020, 10:49 PM

YES they are both dead. When you bend the pcb you brake MCU's soldered connectors. Reason that 1 ecu can read/write and other can't is that one has less broken connectors. Don't you see the difference from this ecu and other common ECU's? For this Volvo EDC16C31 and also MB ones BDM connector is at the back of the pcb and only way to access that is by removing the PCB from case or cutting a hole from the outside. Similary built are some BMW EDC17 ECU's where to access boot pin you need to drill 1 or 2 holes from out side of the case. If you cannot tell the difference from these build type ECU's and those common ones that are easy to open then please stop what you are doing and pass the job to someone with more knowledge about this.

sniegavirs
24th November, 2020, 10:51 PM
Which part of "ECU IS DEAD" You did not understood??

g5n14
24th November, 2020, 10:51 PM
YES they are both dead. When you bend the pcb you brake MCU's soldered connectors. Reason that 1 ecu can read/write and other can't is that one has less broken connectors. Don't you see the difference from this ecu and other common ECU's? For this Volvo EDC16C31 and also MB ones BDM connector is at the back of the pcb and only way to access that is by removing the PCB from case or cutting a hole from the outside. Similary built are some BMW EDC17 ECU's where to access boot pin you need to drill 1 or 2 holes from out side of the case. If you cannot tell the difference from these build type ECU's and those common ones that are easy to open then please stop what you are doing and pass the job to someone with more knowledge about this.

Yeah. With that guy we are speaking the same language. I was also shocked When he asked why that one is special ��

Sefior
24th November, 2020, 10:53 PM
EDC16C31 Mercedes, EDC17CP45 BMW, MEVD172P BMW, MEVD1724 BMW, MEVD1729 BMW, MEVD172G BMW, MEVD1726 BMW VAG MED17.5, 17.5.25, 17.5.21 also same. If you need to lift board or drill something - always risk of damaging PCB/contaminating ECU with metal residuals.

P.S. I have never damaged Any of those, and I have opened all of them listed above for years before i got proper tools. You just need to use brain and search buttons. Do your homework in time to sleep well.

1st ECU is dead With no com to BDM Because of detached chip Legs in the cornee of the front side (i can make a photo tomorrow When i am at work)

2nd ECUs MCU is partially deballed from PCB, you can reball it and it will work.

Yes please show me tomorrow :)

What do you mean with reball and deballed? :)

Thank you.

g5n14
24th November, 2020, 10:54 PM

Thank you.

We are very helpful here, But we are not google, check it from there.
IN short: its When MCU loses a contact with PCB.

sniegavirs
24th November, 2020, 11:00 PM

Thank you. If You don't know how You have broken these 2 ECU's then there is no need for You to know about reballing because that would be like "space age technology" for your understanding.

Sefior
24th November, 2020, 11:19 PM

This is first time I am doing EDC16C31, I am used to do EDC16C34 on these engines..

I have opened many many EDC17 where BDM is on the other side, I have never bricked an ECU because of that..

Its only this 2 times on this EDC16C31.

Can you show me what connectors I should try to fix? Before i spend more money on buying another ECU :shot:

sniegavirs
25th November, 2020, 06:34 AM
This is first time I am doing EDC16C31, I am used to do EDC16C34 on these engines..

I have opened many many EDC17 where BDM is on the other side, I have never bricked an ECU because of that..

Its only this 2 times on this EDC16C31.

Can you show me what connectors I should try to fix? Before i spend more money on buying another ECU :shot:
If You are doing the same on those EDC17's by bending the PCB then stop it already. You clearly don't understand the damage You have done and what problems can occur to your clients later even if the ECU functions normally right after your actions. This kind of job is not for you. You lose money for yourself and your clients. If You don't know what "reballing " means already then there is no point in explaining what is broken...

Sefior
25th November, 2020, 10:07 PM

Hello.

I bought a new ECU.

Are you using any ECU drill template when you drill or you just use a normal drill?

I searched youtube, and everyone that was reading EDC16/17 had opened the ECU to get to the BMW port.

peechie
25th November, 2020, 10:30 PM
Hello.

I bought a new ECU.

Are you using any ECU drill template when you drill or you just use a normal drill?

I searched youtube, and everyone that was reading EDC16/17 had opened the ECU to get to the BMW port.

I recommend you pay a garage to do this, genuine KTAG can do EDC16 in service mode and you dont have to open the ECU

tepSIJA
25th November, 2020, 10:35 PM
I bought an used ECU.

I wrote all files by themself, one by one, mpc + fls + eeproom.

The files wrote successfully.

did you check you wiring to ECU , maybe you messed up something when you removing and install ecu

Sefior
25th November, 2020, 11:05 PM
I recommend you pay a garage to do this, genuine KTAG can do EDC16 in service mode and you dont have to open the ECU

I have genuine KTAG, and unlucky me EDC16C31 can not be done in service mode :(

Sefior
25th November, 2020, 11:06 PM
did you check you wiring to ECU , maybe you messed up something when you removing and install ecu

Yes my friend, I double checked it, everything was ok.

tepSIJA
26th November, 2020, 12:22 AM
If You don't know how You have broken these 2 ECU's then there is no need for You to know about reballing because that would be like "space age technology" for your understanding.

come on people like you never screwed up or spoiled anything and asked someone for help. you are born with all the knowledge of this world and you know everything and you have no question for something that is not clear to you or you did not know until now.

according to your story, everyone who ~~~~s something should immediately raise their hands and start doing something else, ok, I screwed up the airbag control panel yesterday, I'm leaving, sell all the equipment I have, buy cows and sell milk, cheese and the like.

we all have ups and downs, one learns from mistakes, SEFIOR asked a question, and it can be seen that he is not a beginner in this through all the posts, and he immediately found himself on target as if to ask what the ECU is.

g5n14, sniegavirs, don't immediately demoralize someone who makes a mistake, I, like you, made a million mistakes. someone has a mountain of experience and someone is just beginning, let him sin, he will do, he will solve, he will learn and know for the next time.

For things like this, there is a forum, sharing experiences and helping each other, not to pretend to be smart right away and tell someone to raise their hands, send to others.

Sefior, ignore messages and the like that discourage you, I believe you will solve the problem.

g5n14, sniegavirs, nothing personal, we just talk, learn and help each other. I'm a beginner, I have a little experience, but I'm building it, every day I literally learn something new ...

chrisimerk
26th November, 2020, 02:50 AM
come on people like you never screwed up or spoiled anything and asked someone for help. you are born with all the knowledge of this world and you know everything and you have no question for something that is not clear to you or you did not know until now.

according to your story, everyone who ~~~~s something should immediately raise their hands and start doing something else, ok, I screwed up the airbag control panel yesterday, I'm leaving, sell all the equipment I have, buy cows and sell milk, cheese and the like.

we all have ups and downs, one learns from mistakes, SEFIOR asked a question, and it can be seen that he is not a beginner in this through all the posts, and he immediately found himself on target as if to ask what the ECU is.

g5n14, sniegavirs, don't immediately demoralize someone who makes a mistake, I, like you, made a million mistakes. someone has a mountain of experience and someone is just beginning, let him sin, he will do, he will solve, he will learn and know for the next time.

For things like this, there is a forum, sharing experiences and helping each other, not to pretend to be smart right away and tell someone to raise their hands, send to others.

Sefior, ignore messages and the like that discourage you, I believe you will solve the problem.

g5n14, sniegavirs, nothing personal, we just talk, learn and help each other. I'm a beginner, I have a little experience, but I'm building it, every day I literally learn something new ...

Very well said tepSIJA :goodpost::encouragement:

Sefior
26th November, 2020, 04:31 PM

Thank you very much for a good honest message.

I learn something everyday, and I learn DIFFERENT stuff everyday.
I work with many different things everyday, not only ECU stuff, and I am trying to learn everyday about everything..
But people here acting like they were professionals the very first time they read an ECU..
I ask, because I dont know, and I want to know and learn..

I use youtube, forums, google etc very much, and I have googled reading EDC16/17 and I have seen like 99% of the people open the ECU and read the behind of the PCB with bdm, and I did the same,, I have done more than 100 ECUs like this, but these 2 ECUS bricked because of it.. It is turning me insane..

Now I am trying to know how to open it with drill, even on youtube there are only like 2 videos how they drill, and they use a template..

g5n14
26th November, 2020, 08:03 PM

Hey! Never tried to demoralise anyone, was just trying to help, so please cut this bs.

For TS: no need to drill it, you just Measure the Distance to BDM points from ECUs which you already opened, then just dremel the bricked ECU covers to Measure at which point you will have only 0.1mm left, then dremel the square and leave 0.1mm of metal, then Pop this square with A screwdriver. Your main goal is to never let Any metal residuals inside, otherwise ECU is shortly dead.

About the chips which you need to resolder, please remind me on whatsapp (number PM), Because i will forget Again otherwise to make a photo tomorrow.

P.S. In the end, dear tepSIJA you are the one who is blaiming others for helping in a wrong way. And all you say is bla bla bla. And these ”Demoralasing” posts of others still help the forum and community more than your blaiming BS.

P.P.S MED9/EDC16 is same big bosch ECU family like M/EDC17 and MD/MG. All of them share same service mode for WHOLE family. So even if KTAG doesnt straight offer EDC16C31 it doesn’t necessarily mean it can’t do it. And KTag Bosch EDC16 Service Mode Protocol Does have EDC16C31 listed, but pinout for Volvo might be missing of course (not a big problem).

hydrotekk
17th June, 2021, 09:46 PM
Hi I am Having similar issues. I opened an ecu on a chrysler 300c read it via obd port saved as 3 files Wrote back new flash and now no coms with car. Won't start. I wrote back ori flash. Still the same I then read the ecu and stored as 1 file. Wrote it back as backup still no start and no diagnostic connection via obd. I would be greatfull for any help thanks chris