PDA

View Full Version : New to the Cable Box world...

nqt009
5th October, 2008, 01:26 PM
Hi,

Very new to this, was wondering if there is a suggest cable bow that is recommmended i.e. dreambox or starview...?

What I need help is... Basic is there like a step by step guide anywhere that can help me on my merry way.

I have had a look at some of the guides but they seem vague...(not trying to complain) :dong:

If some one can PM me or even reply to this post that will be much appreciated :rock:

nqt009

Oh If I have posted this in the wrong section, I do apologise...

thered
5th October, 2008, 02:03 PM
if your after somethining plain and simple get yourself a eurovox max v for around ?85 its easy to set up 1 flash takes about 30 secs and you are away
a cable box for viewing cable channels if thats all you want it for

if you want something a bit more complex try a dreambox 500c clone around ?65 takes a lot more effort and understanding compared to a eurovox you need to flash with an image select an emu that works i believe the digital kaos one has evocam 2.12 pre installed but from reading the forum does not work for everyone then you need to install some keys to view

point is if you just want to watch cable tv get something simple like a eurovox or a starview

ALEX007
5th October, 2008, 04:03 PM
Ho do i gain permission to download cable box images?

nqt009
8th October, 2008, 11:24 PM
Legend!

Thankyou for getting back to much appreciated... I'm thinking I'm going to be a little bit more adventurous and choose the Dreambox as i want to delve into the workings of cable box world...

Any suggested reads? Or Threads that I should read...? I have gone through a few and the stuff i have found are pretty too far advanced for me at the moment.

Your help is awesome!

shady77
9th October, 2008, 10:45 AM
get the noobs guide from the download section. dreambox really isnt as hard as some people make out. if you feel comfortable with ftp, then i cant foresee any major problems. get the noobs guide from downloads. follow it exactly and away you go.

fishox
9th October, 2008, 08:02 PM
hi
I just bought a starview 3 box. I expected to plug it in and it would work. Now after searching the net i realise i need a firm ware.Can someone take me through the process of this and making it all happen for a frustated cable less viewer!!!!
Thanks.

thered
9th October, 2008, 08:26 PM
hi
I just bought a starview 3 box. I expected to plug it in and it would work. Now after searching the net i realise i need a firm ware.Can someone take me through the process of this and making it all happen for a frustated cable less viewer!!!!
Thanks.

first up m8 you need your firmware should be in the download section on the site

then you need a null modem cable stick in the back of your computer and into your box download the file onto the box then scan for channels and you should be up and running

thered
9th October, 2008, 08:29 PM
Legend!

Thankyou for getting back to much appreciated... I'm thinking I'm going to be a little bit more adventurous and choose the Dreambox as i want to delve into the workings of cable box world...

Any suggested reads? Or Threads that I should read...? I have gone through a few and the stuff i have found are pretty too far advanced for me at the moment.

Your help is awesome!

havent got one myself but the dreambox 500 sounds pretty straight forward and the support and threads on them on this forum is huge so i dont think you will go to far wrong

thered
9th October, 2008, 08:30 PM
Ho do i gain permission to download cable box images?

i think you need a few posts in m8

ginger0077
10th October, 2008, 01:52 PM
have been offereda dreambox for 85 new is this likely to be a clone is there any way to tell have found guides to spot a cloned eurovox so am tempted to get the ex5000 model as it seems a safe bet.

cgscott
10th October, 2008, 03:10 PM
All dm500's you get now are clones mate but to be honest they are pretty much as good as the originals.

I know people with clone boxes and they work a treat.

People just got a bit annoyed when theyre boxes went down with the gemini bomb.

thered
10th October, 2008, 04:05 PM
have been offereda dreambox for 85 new is this likely to be a clone is there any way to tell have found guides to spot a cloned eurovox so am tempted to get the ex5000 model as it seems a safe bet.

all depends what you want your box 4 m8 if you want to watch the tv get a eurovox any will do if your thinking about the ex5000 personally i wouldnt bother as even though it has pvr function(bit like sky+) you can only watch what you are viewing as it only has one tuner

you can record whats on the same transponder but this will probably never ever happen 4 you (it doesnt 4 me anyways)

but if you want something you can play about with connect to your pc by all means get a dreambox the 500c will be a clone but i here they are very good

by the way a eurovox is very easy almost foolproof to set up install ect dreambox in comparison is fairly complex and a bit of pc no how an advantage but you will see the light and the stuff on here for the dm500 is huge so you will get there in the end

kirit
17th October, 2008, 10:57 AM
i dont understand why there is still so much talk about the dreambox 500c, the 600pvr are out now and so are the 800- get yourself one of those and then you dont have to worry so much about clones- im sure they have twin tuner and hdd of course