PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Box for Cork City?

hideous.ape
5th October, 2008, 03:03 PM
Hi all,

Hoping to get something to watch the Football this season.
I know people with Dreambox's and Nokia Dbox2's but I was wondering what people recommend to buy today?

As far as I am aware Dbox's are no longer made, whereas Dreambox's are still manufactured which would make me lean towards them.
Don't fancy buying an 8 year old DBox! The newer PVR models are what I am looking at.

I'm no stranger to FTP, crossover cables, etc. Have had a chipped Xbox for years so that side of things shouldn't be a problem.

I am in an apartment complex and there is a cable connection on the wall so I am assuming that I have cable rather than MMDS. Anyway to be sure?
I have the 4 basic channels coming through the connection so can I just plug in the Box or do I have to sign up for a basic cable package first?

Bit of an essay there..sorry.

cgscott
5th October, 2008, 03:24 PM
If all youre looking for is the channels i suggest the dm500 althought he box also give you the option to record to the pc etc. This is the cheapest of the dreamboxes. I have had mines 3 years now and has never let me down once.

If your looking to delve a bit deeper for example hd the dm800 upwards is your thing.

I prefer dreamboxes to all the other boxes out there as they are not so complicated and seem to give less problems as you'll probably notice with some of the posts on the forum.

Hope this helps.

hideous.ape
5th October, 2008, 06:49 PM
Thanks for that.

Deciding between the DM500C or the better features of the DM600C PVR.
Am I better off buying from one of Dream Multimedia's offical sellers in the UK or are the clones from dvbseller ok?

Probably no point spending the cash on the DM800HD as the cable provider here has already started changing the boxes in Dublin. The DM might be a doorstop in a few months time.

satsmo
5th October, 2008, 10:02 PM
Worse thing to do is assume you are on true cable as Cork is both MMDS and cable. Do your neighbours have subbed boxes and can you have a look at them?

mab88
5th October, 2008, 11:08 PM
get a DM600C PVR and get a 500gb harddrive and then you can recorded an playback off it

hideous.ape
5th October, 2008, 11:28 PM
Only just moved into the apartment block so I don't know anyone here.

Might chance borrowing a Box from a workmate to test on.
A couple of :beerglass: thrown their direction should help:)

Ya the DM600 PVR looks to be the best model to go for.
From the bit of reading I have done so far I take it that the DM600-T model is for MMDS and the DM600-C model is for Cable?

Might just go ahead and order from Dreamboxshop as they are an offical dealer in the UK, can't find one in Ireland.
Will email them first to make sure I can return the DM600 for the other model type if I order the wrong one.

Cheers all for the advice so far.

elhefe
6th October, 2008, 09:33 AM
hi hideous

where roughly are you?? if you are in an appartment block its unlikely you are on MMDS but true cable pm me and we will sort you out
elhefe

hideous.ape
6th October, 2008, 11:20 AM
PM sent...cheers elhefe

hideous.ape
6th October, 2008, 01:27 PM
Was chatting to workmates there at lunch and they seemed to reckon that I would be better off going with a different box as Dreambox's are not that common in Cork and may not even work here.

So are they talking crap and are images easily available for Cork or should I go with a more common unit like Eurovox, Starview, Dbox2?
I figured most boxes are available in the three types Satellite, Terrestrial and Cable. You just go for whichever matches your connection.

Dreamboxshop just confirmed that I could return the 600C for the 600T if it ends up being the wrong one. Way more expensive to buy initially but if I had to post it back to China I would miss a months football:(

Hoping to order something this week.

cgscott
6th October, 2008, 01:32 PM
I know people in ireland with dreamboxes and have no problems.

I have been on lots of forums and people have most problems with other boxes.

At the end of the day its up to the user preference.

I will always have a dreambox.

hideous.ape
6th October, 2008, 01:51 PM
Thats what I figured...it's probably like when people started chipping original Xbox's. Everyone swore by the chip they used and refused to accept that other chips did exactly the same thing.

Should I go ahead and buy from Dreamshop or is their somewhere else you would recommend?

cgscott
6th October, 2008, 02:02 PM
Really wouldnt like to say. I havent bought any yet.

Send Devilfish a message he'll point you in the right direction.

Fano
6th October, 2008, 05:07 PM
Dreamboxshop just confirmed that I could return the 600C for the 600T if it ends up being the wrong one. Way more expensive to buy initially but if I had to post it back to China I would miss a months football:(

The official 600 receivers have plug and play tuners ,you can switch them easily and cheaply.
Alot of the clone 600 boxes do not have interchangeable tuners ,which is a huge drawback in my opinion.
If you are getting a 600C get an original.

hideous.ape
6th October, 2008, 05:36 PM
Ya that's what I thought from reading the offical tech specs on Dream Multimedia's website. It states the Tuner Modules are plug and play.

Unfortunately I don't think many people have the DM600-C in the Cork area so it might be tricky for a newbie like myself starting out without easily available images, people with the same unit to ask questions, etc.

I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty and knowledge is power so if it's possible to just do some manual editing to keep the DM600-C working I will happily learn.

Have to say I picked the right forum to join...full of decent people this place:)

Fatman
6th October, 2008, 11:54 PM
In Galway here on cable get a dreambox, easy to update etc no bother for over a year fingers crossed!

hideous.ape
7th October, 2008, 01:22 AM
From the research I have done so far there seems to be a lot of differing views in the "Box" world on the net in general:

1) Some say go for a cheaper clone as the Tuners are better than the official Dreambox but soldered on and there is no point spending so much cash for no actual benefits.
2) Others say only buy an offical Dreambox cause it's got swappable Tuners and better support if the unit goes tit's up.

An official DM600-C will cost me almost ?300 inc del, so in the current economic climate I can't justify that cost so cheap Chinese production here I come:)
Gonna order a clone DM500-C off DVBseller for roughly ?85 inc del...if it's crap well at least that's only the cost of a very drunken night out wasted and not the cost of an Xbox 360!!!

redknight
11th October, 2008, 10:21 PM
has anybody actually brought from dvbseller . what is your feed back in ref the company . do you find their products to be worth the money .

i'm using a dreambox dm500c in cork city in the city centre . reception is very good . can't fault the box .

redknight
11th October, 2008, 10:26 PM
in ref dreamboxs been used around cork . in the wilton area some of the private estates around sma centre by wilton have only mmds systems, thats if people get their tv from chorus . in ballincollig it is cable .,

deegnm
14th October, 2008, 04:13 PM
Have you looked into buying an itgate (baby/black pearl), by far the best box on the market, google it to find out more. Plenty of people in Eire are using them and now that the change to nagra 2/3 is underway in Dublin, Cork won't be far behind and the itgate is fully prepared for it. These boxes are ready to go out of the box and are supported, second to none.

thered
14th October, 2008, 08:02 PM
Was chatting to workmates there at lunch and they seemed to reckon that I would be better off going with a different box as Dreambox's are not that common in Cork and may not even work here.

So are they talking crap and are images easily available for Cork or should I go with a more common unit like Eurovox, Starview, Dbox2?
I figured most boxes are available in the three types Satellite, Terrestrial and Cable. You just go for whichever matches your connection.

Hoping to order something this week.

any box will do the job m8 dreambox,eurovox starview whatever all depends on yourself and what you want out of it the dreambox500 clones sound like a good cheap buy but eurovox or starview is easier to install

all depends on yourself and how confident you are if you have a bit of confidence go for the dreambox as cjscott suggested you will get all the help you need here

freck
14th October, 2008, 08:21 PM
Hows the form hideous ape,youll have no worries with the dreambox in cork but youll have to find out if your on cable or mmds.Pm me with your address coz im in the city too.
I can give you a working image for the 500-c or 500-t but i've nothing for the 600.
drop me a line if your getting a 500 and i'll sort you out.:celticparty:

hideous.ape
14th October, 2008, 10:27 PM
It's cable so I just ordered a 500-C...waiting on delivery:)

I take it the necessary cables to rig this from the wall to my TV are not included so what connectors/cables should I pick up in the meantime?
I have one F-Plug to Coax cable and a cross-over already.

Cheers.

elhefe
15th October, 2008, 01:24 PM
you wont know until you get your box what you will need. the last cable box i got had f type connectors on it but i do have one that has co ax connectors on like the orig d2box i just got my hands on a terresterial box and that came with co ax connectors so i wouldnt do anything til it arrives

kirit
17th October, 2008, 10:22 AM
lot of interesting views on the DB here- im in london so i was wondering whether the mmds cable applies to me- apparently i was previously ntl so im not to sure now- i live in harrow

mcgeoff
17th October, 2008, 08:15 PM
Still N*l frequency 6952

MonkeyAl
20th October, 2008, 09:44 PM
if your cable comes through a dish. You will need a Terrestrial reciever. I'd stick to the Eurovox TX because TheBox-T has been discontinued. Also I here the Digivox-T has had quite a few problems.

Otherwise its a Eurovox, Starview or Dreambox

Fano
21st October, 2008, 01:47 PM
now that the change to nagra 2/3 is underway in Dublin, Cork won't be far behind and the itgate is fully prepared for it.
Are you sure it supports Nagra 2 ?

hideous.ape
24th October, 2008, 06:30 PM
Got my 500-C delivered today so any good images for Cork would be much appreciated:)

Thanks.

hideous.ape
25th October, 2008, 03:33 PM
Got everything up and running there today which I'm chuffed with.

Used DK1.1 image and flashed it with Flashwizard.
Flashfxp took care of the keys, etc.

I download Elhefe's cork cable services & bouquets XML's but I wasn't sure where to FTP these too?