PDA

View Full Version : Mileage correction on Cit C2

sideeffect
22nd January, 2010, 09:20 PM
Hey guys
Only ever done mileage correction via OBD port up until now using a chinese Tacho Universal, I’ve been asked to do a job on a Citroen C2 of a good friend of mine.

I did inform him i would rather not as i would need a hot air station to remove the chips and i dont have one atm.. and im sure that a low watt soldering iron might damage IC if i was to long about with it? His reply was dont worry if yo f**k it up (awesome attitude these car dealers got lol)

Anyway after reading through the bad instruction in german and translating them i know i need to remove the 93c46 chip from the clocks and read/write to that and also the 95160 chip in the BSI, then put the BSI back in and then the clocks.

Few newbie questions...

Do they really have to be removed or can they be read in circuit?

If something does go wrong would it just be the mileage messed up or would it affect something else in the BSI and worse case then stop it starting? (i hate BSI’s already)

I can see a few places online selling both the chips, would it simply be a case of getting a new blank chip and writing the new mileage to those (if i messed up or damaged the chips while being removed).. would Tacho Universal be able to write to a blank chip?

Or should i not even bother to attempt it with a iron and source a hot air station first.

I would really like to get into the eeprom side of thing like im*os/radios etc as it interests me alot and i’ve enjoyed chipping wii’s and other consoles in the past.
Thanks in advance

PremierD
22nd January, 2010, 09:25 PM
Hey guys
Only ever done mileage correction via OBD port up until now using a chinese Tacho Universal, I?ve been asked to do a job on a Citroen C2 of a good friend of mine.

I did inform him i would rather not as i would need a hot air station to remove the chips and i dont have one atm.. and im sure that a low watt soldering iron might damage IC if i was to long about with it? His reply was dont worry if yo f**k it up (awesome attitude these car dealers got lol)

Anyway after reading through the bad instruction in german and translating them i know i need to remove the 93c46 chip from the clocks and read/write to that and also the 95160 chip in the BSI, then put the BSI back in and then the clocks.

Few newbie questions...

Do they really have to be removed or can they be read in circuit?

If something does go wrong would it just be the mileage messed up or would it affect something else in the BSI and worse case then stop it starting? (i hate BSI?s already)

I can see a few places online selling both the chips, would it simply be a case of getting a new blank chip and writing the new mileage to those (if i messed up or damaged the chips while being removed).. would Tacho Universal be able to write to a blank chip?

Or should i not even bother to attempt it with a iron and source a hot air station first.

I would really like to get into the eeprom side of thing like im*os/radios etc as it interests me alot and i?ve enjoyed chipping wii?s and other consoles in the past.
Thanks in advance

The latter mate .... They are not very expensive ... You can fcuck the c46 ... and still recover it ... The BSI is Quite another matter ... Fcuk it and its a recovery truck that you will be Googling ....

melcool
22nd January, 2010, 09:28 PM
Both chips (93c46 and 95160) out from the boards(not in circuit)

sideeffect
22nd January, 2010, 09:43 PM
Aye hate BSI's always an headache. I wasnt sure if the 95160 holds "other" information besides the mileage and would cause problems with other things that the BSI controls

PremierD
22nd January, 2010, 09:53 PM
Aye hate BSI's always an headache. I wasnt sure if the 95160 holds "other" information besides the mileage and would cause problems with other things that the BSI controls

It holds a lot of info mate ... including the ability to start the vehicle ....So take our advice ... Buy a hot air station .. remove eeproms .. save and then try to change .. or the alternative is tell the trader to foxtrot oscar ......

melcool
22nd January, 2010, 10:05 PM

Try the picture from this archive....You will make an idea how and were....Citroen and Peugeot BSI are very similar if not the same!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G3ADQ6SQ

carbandit
22nd January, 2010, 10:07 PM
foxtrot oscar brilliant premier D.....if you ~~~~ the bsi your in the shit and french models are not what you want to cut your teeth on m8 ...get yourself a few old radios from a breakers and practice lifting eep till you get the hang of it and my advice is ALWAYS remove eeps from the board .....you can go into rs componants and get a weller pyropen for 25 quid that will lift by hot-air.....

dashradio
22nd January, 2010, 10:13 PM
Hi, The best advise I would give you is don't do this as your first eeprom job, practise on some old clocks first, get this one wrong and it will cost you ?300 - ?400 to fix the Bsi. Fcuk this up and it don't start, plus lots of other faults.

sideeffect
23rd January, 2010, 01:53 PM
Cheers for all the advice and attachment. Good to have, anyone recommend some links to files or site for good reading and collecting dumps

you can go into rs componants and get a weller pyropen for 25 quid that will lift by hot-air.....

do you mean the WP60 (http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=4315722)? its around ?55 looks like the one you on about has hot air tip

melcool
23rd January, 2010, 05:08 PM
Cheers for all the advice and attachment. Good to have, anyone recommend some links to files or site for good reading and collecting dumps

do you mean the WP60 (http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=4315722)? its around ?55 looks like the one you on about has hot air tip

sideeffect try to buy at least something like this ..I have payd for my Gordak952 aprox 60 Euro!And works very very good!
and my recomandation "to files or site for good reading and collecting dumps" is this forum ...only search/ask