PDA

View Full Version : Best Setting for Hot Air Station????

z786
23rd January, 2010, 07:18 PM
Hi,

i know its somwer on the forum already but cant seem to find it

anywayz here goes,

What is the best settings to have on the rework station

-hot air temp
-hot air pressure
-soldering iron temp

Thankyou

:party:

PremierD
23rd January, 2010, 07:26 PM
Hi,

i know its somwer on the forum already but cant seem to find it

anywayz here goes,

What is the best settings to have on the rework station

-hot air temp
-hot air pressure
-soldering iron temp

Thankyou

:party:

It depends on a few factors mate .. the hot air should be very hot .. the airflow medium .... You really want to heat the target quickly .. but not blow the other components away .. (UNLESS YOU HAVE THE SUCKY UPY extractors).. Takes me 20 seconds to remove a 112pin 912...

pinch
23rd January, 2010, 08:00 PM
Takes me 20 seconds to remove a 112pin 912...

Thats really fast, how long does it take to put it back ???

Mjolinor
23rd January, 2010, 08:11 PM
It depends entirely on what you are doing with it, that's why it's adjustable.

For a DIL Flash chip I will use 360c, flow of around 4 (on an Aoyue). That will get the chip off in 3 or 4 seconds using a feeler gauge. If it's a 35 X 35 mm BGA then I will use 3 or 4 on the flow and 410c on the air with the whole board heated to 200c.

Soldering I tend to do hot at around 370c. That is too hot normally but if you are fast and have good solder with a high silver content (non of this lead free crap) then it's fine.

PremierD
23rd January, 2010, 08:22 PM
Thats really fast, how long does it take to put it back ???

About 4 minuites mate ....:thrasher:

z786
23rd January, 2010, 09:47 PM
jus wana work on SMDs at the moment,
what temp should i have the solder iron?

4 mins to put back?? drag soldering??

PremierD
23rd January, 2010, 10:52 PM
jus wana work on SMDs at the moment,
what temp should i have the solder iron?

4 mins to put back?? drag soldering??

Tack the four cornners down mate .... then flux it all ... pressure in the middle with pointed implement .....( not a 303 bullet MH ) ..then hot air one side at a time ....Drops back into place ,, a treat ...... When I have time I will make a video of it ... ( but no comentery .) Scots is not a universal language ......:thrasher:

Meat-Head
23rd January, 2010, 11:04 PM
Takes me 20 seconds to remove a 112pin 912...

20 seconds so for other people including the people that made the chip and the solder station 8 mins

4 mins to refit which would mean 1/2 hour for anybody

.....( not a 303 bullet MH ) .. Scots is not a universal language ......:thrasher:
looks like this is what you want for pressure it mentions "SMS" guess (http://www.forgingmagazine.com/zone/1187/news/71525/worlds_largest_hydraulic_screw_press)
that means "small mounted stuff" (http://www.forgingmagazine.com/zone/1187/news/71525/worlds_largest_hydraulic_screw_press)

NO OFFENSE AT ALL

Was not expecting you to only be 99.9% perfect, can't understand
Scotish people!

florinyes
23rd January, 2010, 11:25 PM
When I have time I will make a video of it ... ( but no comentery .)...

Looking forward to that.

Regards

adam28
24th January, 2010, 10:20 AM
My hardest part was getting the MCU lined up on the pads.You get one side lined up then another side moves. Because the solder on the pads is slightly risen up the pins kinda flip over to one side.
managed to get the hang of it in the end,with some help from premierD of course.

Looking forward to seeing this video mate. We will all have our stopwatches out.

florinyes
24th January, 2010, 10:45 AM
No, I won't have a stopwatch as I am mainly interested on the technique.

Ta

adam28
24th January, 2010, 10:51 AM
No, I won't have a stopwatch as I am mainly interested on the technique.

Ta

Mate it was a joke,and if he is to quick,just play it in slow mo:beerglass:

florinyes
24th January, 2010, 11:58 AM
Loooooooooooooool. :ridinghorse:

andydz106
24th January, 2010, 04:31 PM
Look it up on youtube.com they have some good video on SMD soldering.

florinyes
24th January, 2010, 08:02 PM
Can do it no probs mate, its just the way he can do it so fast...
Also no competition here...

Ta

z786
2nd February, 2010, 01:23 AM
hi, jus wanted some opinons, cant seem 2 get rite temps & techniques,

every few eeproms i seem 2 rip up the pads along wit the chip,even blew a circuit board (high temp i think)lol if you cud suggest what settings you use like this

-hot air temp
-hot air pressure
-soldering iron temp

and tips how not 2 damage pads etc

thanx

z786
2nd February, 2010, 08:09 PM
...........................BUMP................... ............

Meat-Head
2nd February, 2010, 08:20 PM
...........................BUMP................... ............

:goodpost:.......................................W ALLOP........................................

It is good fun removing smd stuff with a hot-air paint stripper, but have only played on scrap boards

PremierD
2nd February, 2010, 08:26 PM
What you need to do mate ... is put on a bit of rework flux ... Helps the solder to flow .... Temp is only experience ... I have mine set to 450... (or however high it goes ) Halfway on the airflow for eeproms .. and 90% for mcus ....The Idea is a quick heat .... That way the heat does not penetrate far ...(but enough to melt the solder ....Some eeproms are Glued down ..as well .in that case ..a small craft knife under one end ... with gentle pressure while heating one set of pins ...will lift it ... And it flips over ( like a dead fly) can't be any more specific than that mate ....sorry ...Its all down to practice i'm afraid ...

PS ... Just remembered ... Never used it but it does work ...
Chip Quik SMD1 Product Sheet (http://www.chipquikinc.com/store/prod_smd1.htm)

adam28
2nd February, 2010, 08:26 PM
:goodpost:.......................................W ALLOP........................................

It is good fun removing smd stuff with a hot-air paint stripper, but have only played on scrap boards

.......................WHACK...................... ..

z786
2nd February, 2010, 08:53 PM
jus on 8pin smds at the moment, i had highest temp on and airflow on 4, but popped the ciricuit board lol
is it best 2 lift with tweezers or jus push it off instead of lifting? dnt wana keep rippin off the pads

PremierD
2nd February, 2010, 09:00 PM
jus on 8pin smds at the moment, i had highest temp on and airflow on 4, but popped the ciricuit board lol
is it best 2 lift with tweezers or jus push it off instead of lifting? dnt wana keep rippin off the pads

Grip with tweezers mate ... BTW you have got a small nozzle on ....?

z786
2nd February, 2010, 09:02 PM
the nozzle im using is a square slightly bigger than the eeprom, shud i hav the smaller 1?

adam28
2nd February, 2010, 09:08 PM

Yeah i popped the pcb a few times, but that horrible smell soon stopped me!
I just use a skinny blade mate. And wait for them to just flip up(slowly). A few time at the start i pinged the fcucker of the board. On all 4's looking for the cnut!
Dont much use the twezers. except to pick em up off there backs.

PremierD
2nd February, 2010, 09:17 PM
the nozzle im using is a square slightly bigger than the eeprom, shud i hav the smaller 1?

I only use round ones mate use round ones ...about 12mm in dia ...With too small a nozzle the heat will be really fierce.. maybe account for the pcb popping....

adam28
2nd February, 2010, 09:17 PM
How far are you holding the hot air away from the board mate ?
I hold about 1 cm away, and works for me,but its each to there own. Dont hold on one spot for to long.
What about you Tam? How far do You hold your end away from the pcb LOL!

z786
2nd February, 2010, 09:22 PM
when i popped it, i was holding it .5 cm from board, maybe thats why it popped lol
so the square 1 is no good? i asumed it was for the eeproms cos of its size.

thanx guys appreciate your help

adam28
2nd February, 2010, 09:30 PM
when i popped it, i was holding it .5 cm from board, maybe thats why it popped lol
so the square 1 is no good? i asumed it was for the eeproms cos of its size.

thanx guys appreciate your help

That far away takes to long to heat the solder,but the pcb cooks up a treat. Plenty of practice mate,its a trial and error thing. You will get the hang of it soon and wonder what all the fuss was about. Then you will move on to the MCU's(next step up)

PremierD
2nd February, 2010, 09:34 PM
Slightly further mate ,,,, about a Inch ... (in old money )... Not that there is anything wrong with 2.5 centimeters .......( or 240 pennies to the pound Either )....:hahaha:

florinyes
2nd February, 2010, 10:52 PM
Been using 380 celsius with 5-6 air speed and cocked up a couple of times... Since I am on low temp 260 with 2-3 air flow and 100% succes rate.

Yet I'am about to explore the pro way of doing it: YouTube - Julian Laptop Repair

Here is a few good links:
YouTube - how to remove epoxy resin from chips
YouTube - Desoldering a SOIC using a specialized desoldering tip
YouTube - Lead-Free Multi Lead Soldering | Soldering Tips | B.E.S.T.

Cheers