PDA

View Full Version : Sky Digital problems

davidharvey75
1st April, 2008, 10:36 AM
Hi guys, i've had sky digital for about 4 years and i have had my Digibox replaced once already. The signal at the moment is sitting at just over 3/4's for strength and quality in the system setup page. The other box got renewed because the signal was constantly moving up and down.
I know the weather up here in scotland ain't the greatest, but it's been happening on clear days too. There doesn't seem to be anything obstructing the line of sight to the dish.
Anybody got any ideas to try. Don't have the insurance cover and the warrenty of the replaced box is up so would need to pay for the eng to come out.

I was also thinking that if i wanted to upgrade to a sky+ box, would they come out and make sure it was working and if it turned out to be the dish would they charge extra again.

Thanks for reading. Any suggestions welcome

krazylegz
1st April, 2008, 11:40 AM
if it's still up and down the first to do is check all your connections on the coax cable, make sure the thin wires dont touch the inner copper core. if your dish isnt bent or rust then it'll either need moving a slight bit or your lnb may be on it's way out.

have you not got another box you can use even a aftermarket box such as a dreambox or technomate and see what the signal level is like on that?

thommo
1st April, 2008, 12:24 PM
as said if its not a reciever problem and its not the dish then its lnb or cable thats most likey to be at fault.

do as krazy says and check all leads and cables. worst case buy a new lnb maybe but there not dear.

sounds like something and nothing to me, trail and error mate but if reciever and dish are ok it can only be the above.

either that or a simple case of the dish isnt alligned fully, (moved in the wind slightly).

davidharvey75
1st April, 2008, 02:30 PM
Thanks guys, will look into those.

Jack Reagan
10th April, 2008, 11:49 PM
In all the years I've worked with Sky stuff, the LNB has been the most reliable piece of kit. If your going to take the trouble to swap the LNB/get the ladders out I'd swap the 45cm for a Zone2 60cm at the same time - If this doesn't bend the signal level bar nothing will.
I'm using a quad with 2x Sky+ (1 hd) and the Thompson box is always showing a higher signal level, it's just a threshold thing.

Cheers

Jack

felix1
13th April, 2008, 09:04 PM
if your in scotland you should have a zone 2 dish already . if you cables run under the carpet checks its not in the carpet crips. if youre gonna upgrade then ur whole system will be covered for another 12 months. if you still have warrenty on the system call them out as once its up they will try and charge you ?65.

davidharvey75
14th April, 2008, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the response guys. Trying to win the wife over to the idea of sky+, so that would cover the whole system getting looked at as you said Felix1. And i am in Scotland, so i think it must be the bigger sized zone 2 dish that i have.

Thanks again guys