PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry Storm

Devilfish
8th October, 2008, 09:34 PM
I think I know what my next phone will be! :)

Research in Motion Ltd (RIM), maker of the Blackberry, released its first mobile phone with a touch-screen on Wednesday, its answer to the popular Apple iPhone.

http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/ne/afp/20081008/18/4178046504-blackberry-releases-touch-screen-phone.jpg

The smartphone, the Blackberry Storm, will be available later this year through Verizon Wireless in the United States and Vodafone in Europe, India, Australia and New Zealand, the Canadian company said.

The Storm resembles the iPhone but its color touch-screen differs in that it is "clickable" -- the screen depresses slightly when touched like a typewriter key.

RIM president Mike Lazaridis described the touch-screen as a "truly tactile touch interface" which "solves the longstanding problem associated with typing on traditional touch-screens."

Users navigate on the touch-screen by using their finger like a cursor, scrolling, highlighting, panning and zooming and clicking on selections.

Other features of the Storm include wireless email through high-speed 3G mobile broadband networks, an HTML Web browser which allows audio and video streaming and SMS, MMS and IM messaging.

It also features a media player, a 3.2-megapixel camera, a video camera and Global Positioning System (GPS) capability along with Blackberry Maps.

RIM did not provide a price for the phone or a release date except to say it would be available by the Christmas holiday season.

The Storm is seen by industry analysts as Blackberry's response to the iPhone and an attempt to increase its popularity beyond that of businessmen addicted to its email capabilities.

The release of the Storm also comes some two weeks after Internet giant Google entered the mobile phone market with a smartphone developed with T-Mobile, the T-Mobile G1, which runs on Google open-source software.

http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/ne/rtrs/20081008/14/2179012779-blackberry-storm.jpg

icaicm
9th October, 2008, 08:20 AM
i would not mine one of those as well, it will replace my blackberry curve.

angelinalove
13th October, 2008, 01:24 PM
My next will be black bery bold or samsung omnia.I am thinking about upgradation.

neeiro
21st October, 2008, 04:06 PM
Looks nice, I'm looking to upgrade in Dec, torn between that Blackberry, Iphone, SE Xperia or the HTC Touch HD.

shady77
21st October, 2008, 04:19 PM
tmobile g1 for me. it makes me do a sex wee

caveman_nige
21st October, 2008, 04:45 PM
mmmmm Cavey want one.....

Registered with vodafone already for one of these puppies, normally a Nokia man but this one could make me break my brand allegiance.

Gimme Gimme

neeiro
21st October, 2008, 05:26 PM
The only problem that I have with it is no wifi.

caveman_nige
21st October, 2008, 06:15 PM
The only problem that I have with it is no wifi.

Well i seemed to have missed that in the specs [coz it was not there obviously] and just went on looks, same mistake i made with a few girls over the years...

They should not have missed that out, to me its like buiding a sports car and and missing out the the steering wheel. Well that is gonna send me straight back to Uncle Nokia i guess as I use the wifi [once or twice a year :rofl:). Well i may not use it on a daily basis but i do like the fact that I can use it when i need to, i freeloaded on quite a few wifi networks while i was in Yankieland this summer..

Cavey is confused now, wallet is safer though..

caveman_nige
14th November, 2008, 09:09 AM
Have heard on a Vodafone eforum where i was bitching about a billing problem I have that there is a wifi version of the Storm coming. This was comfirmed by the Vodafone moderators but they would not confirm a timescale. Obviously they will not give a date as they have to shift the current bundle they have bought of non wifi phones... The average guess date is middle of 2009, which is perfect as my contract expires then so I will hang on..

Hope this helpd some of you that were not sure what to do etc... :reddy:

Devilfish
14th November, 2008, 12:19 PM
Thanks Nige...I seen an advert for it in the paper today, 600 minutes, unlimited email/internet, ?35 per month.

I'm on a sim only contract with O2 so I can move anytime. I llike the look of some of the Samsung phones that are due to come out.

I think the no1 priorities are Wifi, Internal GPS and HSDPA.

smokey_jnr
14th November, 2008, 12:43 PM
what do people here think, is the storm better than the IPhone..??

Devilfish
14th November, 2008, 01:01 PM
I had a play with the iPhone and I think it sucks the dogs danglies big time! Wasn't impressed with it at all.

But I haven't had a shot of the Blackberry either so can't compare the two.

caveman_nige
18th November, 2008, 04:09 PM
Well just had call from Vodafone and had a an extra line added to my account, reduced my tariff on my N95 to ?20 per month and took Storm at ?40 per month. My N95 line expires in August 2009 in which time i will cancel it etc and or upgrade it to a wifi storm if they are around by then. As my usual monthly bill is about ?55 it will not make much difference to me.. So hey ho a new Storm will be delivered tomorrow morning. Will let you know what its like, will probably have broken it by the end of the day etc. Do not think i will be getting much work done for the next couple of days..

caveman_nige
19th November, 2008, 08:57 PM
Well just had call from Vodafone and had a an extra line added to my account, reduced my tariff on my N95 to ?20 per month and took Storm at ?40 per month. My N95 line expires in August 2009 in which time i will cancel it etc and or upgrade it to a wifi storm if they are around by then. As my usual monthly bill is about ?55 it will not make much difference to me.. So hey ho a new Storm will be delivered tomorrow morning. Will let you know what its like, will probably have broken it by the end of the day etc. Do not think i will be getting much work done for the next couple of days..

Well it arrived this morning and I have been playing with it all day. Having had Nokia phones for the last 10 years it is gonna take some getting used to. N95 is going to my wife cos this BB Storm has got me hooked,its definitely a keeper.

smokey_jnr
20th November, 2008, 02:39 PM
i 've just come accross this phone Nokia 5800 expressmusic and the reviews on this say its better than the IPHone ... take a look at it here.

Nokia UK - Nokia 5800 XpressMusic - Specifications (http://www.nokia.co.uk/A41279560)

caveman_nige
16th December, 2008, 08:53 PM
Well a been using the Storm for a month now, guy next to me in my office got the iphone 3g. Big difference, but i still prefer mine hence why i chose it in the first place. He did a 'jailbreak' on his within 24 hours and has lots of themes to try where as i don't, but i don't use mine for playing as i do not want the sucker die or ~~~~ up and be told i have invalidated my warranty. there are no mods available for the storm that I can find (had to look for the purposes of writing this update). The Storm is more of a serious gadget and the iphone is more the toy.

The rest as they say comes down to your personal taste, you will like it or you won't.