PDA

View Full Version : read EWS on BMW E46

media
28th January, 2010, 06:59 PM
Hello everybody,
Have someone already used the tacho universal in order to modify a EWS3 (HW03 SW08 ) from a bmw 320d e46 year 2003 ? The dump that I read with seem to be wrong because I don?t find the right mileage in it. Moreover each time, I read the ews, the tacho universal finds and saves a different dump. After mounting the ews back in car , I read the dump with pa soft, and it?s the same that before the operation !
I use tacho universal and the bmw key reader pro, and the ews dongle. And I soldered the wire back to the ews board as shown on the manual. I put the pin of the connector of key reader to the side of the long connector of the ews.
Would someone knows the reason or knows the operation in order to correct it?
I read the dump in e2p with tacho , and after I convert it in bin with tachodump. (the right mileage is 255 500).
Thanks a lot for your help.

drpeter
28th January, 2010, 07:34 PM
Hello everybody,
Have someone already used the tacho universal in order to modify a EWS3 (HW03 SW08 ) from a bmw 320d e46 year 2003 ? The dump that I read with seem to be wrong because I don’t find the right mileage in it. Moreover each time, I read the ews, the tacho universal finds and saves a different dump. After mounting the ews back in car , I read the dump with pa soft, and it’s the same that before the operation !
I use tacho universal and the bmw key reader pro, and the ews dongle. And I soldered the wire back to the ews board as shown on the manual. I put the pin of the connector of key reader to the side of the long connector of the ews.
I read the dump in e2p with tacho , and after I convert it in bin with tachodump. (the right mileage is 255 500).

The km in your dump = 260738km so I think you have another version EWS and tacho universal only knows Version 1.

Version 1 Car type: BMW EWS3 MODULE SW ?? - 68HC11EA9 - 1997-2006 years
This module stores the copy of mileage in E39, E38, E46 and E53
The mileage is stored in the next lines:
0120: xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx 40 E2 01 xx xx xx xx
01E0: xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx 40 E2 01 xx xx xx xx xx
where the next bytes:
40 E2 01 - is a mileage

Version 2 your EWS module ;

BMW EWS3 MODULE SW 08 - 68HC11EA9 - 2003 year
This module stores the copy of mileage in E39, E38, E46 and E53
The mileage is stored in the next lines:
0000: xx xx CA 95 01 xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx
00C0: xx xx CA 95 01 xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx
where the next bytes:
CA 95 01 - is a mileage

PremierD
28th January, 2010, 07:45 PM
Hello everybody,
Have someone already used the tacho universal in order to modify a EWS3 (HW03 SW08 ) from a bmw 320d e46 year 2003 ? The dump that I read with seem to be wrong because I don?t find the right mileage in it. Moreover each time, I read the ews, the tacho universal finds and saves a different dump. After mounting the ews back in car , I read the dump with pa soft, and it?s the same that before the operation !

Hate to say it mate .... The dumps Are Sh1t......And make no sense ... You will have to read it with UPA ..ETL .... (As my colleague suggested .... ).. anything except what you have read it with ...And Hope that the eepom data is not Gubbed ......sorry

drpeter
28th January, 2010, 08:00 PM
Hate to say it mate .... The dumps Are Sh1t......And make no sense ... You will have to read it with UPA ..ETL .... (As my colleague suggested .... ).. anything except what you have read it with ...And Hope that the eepom data is not Gubbed ......sorry

yes, better use UPA or ETL and program 316 km in EWS
Choose UPA > mc68hc11ea9

316km = 3C0100

0000: xx xx 3C0100 xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx
00C0: xx xx 3C0100 xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx

media
28th January, 2010, 09:57 PM
Thanks all for your help.
In fact, the version is ?BMW EWS3 MODULE SW 08 - 68HC11EA9 - 2003 year?. I could read it with pa soft . Here is the correct initial read dump. I can and have modified it too but the problem seem to be that I try to write the new dump with the wrong tool ! I will follow your advice and search about ETL or UPA programmer. We must be lucky to succeed with the tacho universal.

Why 316 km ? it is a value that you see it works fine. Sometimes, it is said to put 00 or put the new mileage directly.
It exists programmer we could program directly on board the 68HC11EA9 with, what do you think of them ? Generally, it is more efficient to desolder and the UPA is universal ?

In order to program the M35080, you will tell that the tacho universal is not the good tool too, isn?t it ?

PremierD
28th January, 2010, 10:45 PM
In fact, the version is “BMW EWS3 MODULE SW 08 - 68HC11EA9 - 2003 year”. I could read it with pa soft . Here is the correct initial read dump. I can and have modified it too but the problem seem to be that I try to write the new dump with the wrong tool ! I will follow your advice and search about ETL or UPA programmer. We must be lucky to succeed with the tacho universal.

Why 316 km ? it is a value that you see it works fine. Sometimes, it is said to put 00 or put the new mileage directly.
It exists programmer we could program directly on board the 68HC11EA9 with, what do you think of them ? Generally, it is more efficient to desolder and the UPA is universal ?

In order to program the M35080, you will tell that the tacho universal is not the good tool too, isn’t it ?
It can be read on board mate with UPA ...But it is safer (although a lot more work ) to remove and use ETL .....

Sorry mate ... The file is to short .... And If I remember ...PAsoft Does not read the whole eeprom... It needs to be 512 bytes ....You only have 256.....(just a tact full way of saying ...your dump is still sh1t ....) sorry

drpeter
29th January, 2010, 08:14 AM
In fact, the version is ?BMW EWS3 MODULE SW 08 - 68HC11EA9 - 2003 year?. I could read it with pa soft . Here is the correct initial read dump. I can and have modified it too but the problem seem to be that I try to write the new dump with the wrong tool ! I will follow your advice and search about ETL or UPA programmer. We must be lucky to succeed with the tacho universal.

In order to program the M35080, you will tell that the tacho universal is not the good tool too, isn?t it ?

Because < 300 km the LKM can overwrite cluster mileage if cluster mileage is 0 km, always program >300km to be sure. The EWS is passive.
If you use UPA for the EWS you only need to cut the reset wire (7 UPA) and RxD wire (3 UPA) onboard, reads/write perfect did it a lot of times thanks to HCIP's schematic.
I don't post images from others sorry.
You can use Diga for M35080, never had problems. After year 2004 you need to put in new chip because of the M35080V6 problem. Or buy a M35080V6 eraser.

media
29th January, 2010, 09:52 PM
Thanks. But when using Upa, do I just have to follow the instructions of the upa manual: lift 23 + change quartz resonator or do you say that only the connection wires 7 and 3 are enough, no ?
( sorry Ididn?t understand the meaning of ?cut? in this context of the drpeter ?s kind reply )
I didn?t find the HCIP?s schematics.
thanks

drpeter
30th January, 2010, 12:13 AM
Thanks. But when using Upa, do I just have to follow the instructions of the upa manual: lift 23 + change quartz resonator or do you say that only the connection wires 7 and 3 are enough, no ?
( sorry Ididn’t understand the meaning of “cut” in this context of the drpeter ‘s kind reply )
I didn’t find the HCIP’s schematics.
thanks

PM me I sent you the picture then, please don't post the image because credits goes to HCIP.

No lifting, no xtal change.

media
3rd February, 2010, 09:59 PM
For the dashboard, it is written in diga manual that we don't need to replace the m35080 since the sw17. They show the contacts and wires to solder on the board with the cable of the diga for the sw17-23. But how do we know how solder for the hw29 sw35 ? there's no info for it :-( Is it really possible to erase and modify it with diga ?
thanks

drpeter
4th February, 2010, 07:42 AM
For the dashboard, it is written in diga manual that we don't need to replace the m35080 since the sw17. They show the contacts and wires to solder on the board with the cable of the diga for the sw17-23. But how do we know how solder for the hw29 sw35 ? there's no info for it :-( Is it really possible to erase and modify it with diga ?
thanks

After 2004 its possible that your M35080 is a V6, you have to put a new chip in it there. ?'ve done a lot of E46's and most of the times I could program the cluster on the back. But for the E46 its easy to remove the needles, so desolder the chip and program direct is much better and saver then solder on the back of cluster. Next time I will do the same.

media
4th February, 2010, 07:57 PM
Thanks a lot,
I don't think it's a v6 because the car is from 2003.
Can upa erase the chip like etl makes or do I have to put a new chip ?
-with tacho-How do you know how solder the tacho on board ? Is there a risk with tacho if I saved the dump before ?
thanks

huzman43
4th February, 2010, 07:58 PM
ımm Thank's

media
4th February, 2010, 08:09 PM
you're welcome. I try to give information too to others while asking questions. viva this forum.

checcogame
27th July, 2010, 08:53 AM
Hi drpeter please can I have the picture of the HCIP for read MC68HC11EA9 for bmw EWS3 with Upa. thanks