PDA

View Full Version : X24C01 read error

pinch
1st February, 2010, 08:54 PM
I am trying to read a X24C01 in circuit with soic clip but keeps getting verifying error.
I use a X-prog T and DIP to SOIC adapter cable.
What am I doing wrong ?

maciupiciu
1st February, 2010, 09:43 PM
while the I2C bus it-s busy U can't take control with a external programmer and read eeprom . U can try to leave I2C bus free, by soldering a wire between Quartz osc pins of MCU

pinch
1st February, 2010, 10:27 PM
How do I find out what pins to short ?
The MCU is a NEC D75P518GF and the radio is a Volvo SC 801

And how do I know when I need to short the Quartz and not ?

Have to try and find a datasheet for that MCU, I suppose.

Thanks for helping me, its my first try with both this equipment and in circuit programing.
Have only used a eeprom programer before.

vares
1st February, 2010, 10:43 PM
Desolder the eeprom and read it - it is the only safe method for a beginner.

pinch
2nd February, 2010, 10:43 AM
I am already familiar with desoldering and reading eeprom onboard, now I want to learn how to do ICP on eeprom, next will be desoldering MCU but then I will have to get a hot air soldering station first.
I have a bunch of old volvo radios to practice on,
so it doesnt matter if I screw up.
Just want to learn.

pinch
4th February, 2010, 08:23 PM
Soo...I ended up desoldering the eeprom cause I couldnt get it to read in circuit.
Now when I put it in the programmer, its all f**ked up.
Question is why...

1. I destroyeed it when trying to read it in circuit

2. I destroyed it when desoldering it

3. It was already destroyed

What do you guys think ?

PremierD
4th February, 2010, 09:00 PM
Soo...I ended up desoldering the eeprom cause I couldnt get it to read in circuit.
Question is why...

What do you guys think ?

Not easy to read Xicor eeproms on board mate ... Shitty things that corrupt at the drop of a hat....sorry .. Reading in circuit any eeprom can fcuk up ... if it is easy to access rip the fcuker off ..it takes seconds ..and at the end of the day .. you will have a dump to save .......It's nothing to do with being Inexperienced ... I've been doing it for a while now .... And although I often read 24c'... in circuit ....If i don't have a dump on file ...i still remove them .....

pinch
6th February, 2010, 12:23 PM
Hmmm......I am rally having some problems here...
Took another radio and desoldered the X24C01 without trying to read it first and without using any force, used a solder wick.
When I try to read it all I get is "device not ready or bad", I am using the Xprog -T and a SOIC clip with DIP adapter.
Even bought a new 24LC01B SOIC by Microchip and it both reads and writes fine.
What am I doing wrong ?
I cant believe I would have f*ked up this eeprom when desoldering it, the first one ok, but not this one.
Does the xprog have a issue with the X24C01 ?
In the DPD program it says Xicor X24(C)01A, on the chip it says

X24C01
423 C

Am I choosing the wrong eeprom in DPD ?
Can I replace the X24C01 with a Microchip 24LC01B ? (with my luck probebly not)

Zmann
6th February, 2010, 03:24 PM
Question is why...

What do you guys think ?

One possibility of this when trying to read this chip in circuit and with using IC clip is putting the clip on the wrong side. The IC pins of ground (Vss) and Vcc (Vdd) are transversely lie on pin 4 and 8. Let imagine when the clip is wrongly fitted. I had the same bad experience but never verify it again. You can try again with the new chip and let us know lol.

pinch
6th February, 2010, 04:56 PM
I took a look at the datasheets for the X24C01 and the 24LC01B and noticed that both had the same pin layout.
VSS on 4 and VCC on 8.
The strange thing is that in my Xprog -T manual it says the DIP socket has VSS on 1 and VCC on 8.
Tried to switch pins 1 and 4 and still no luck reading the X24C01.
If the VSS really is on pin 1 on the programer it shouldnt have read and write the 24LC01B.
Still VERY confused about this. :banghead:

Meat-Head
6th February, 2010, 05:24 PM
OK so you have a silicon chip that has switched to overload (http://www.last.fm/music/The+Boomtown+Rats/_/I+Don't+Like+Mondays)so why don't you post details of what you are screwing, err doing or simply ask PremierD if he can dump on you.

Then you can try a new dump in your new chip and see what happens.

Zmann
6th February, 2010, 05:25 PM
I took a look at the datasheets for the X24C01 and the 24LC01B and noticed that both had the same pin layout.
VSS on 4 and VCC on 8.
The strange thing is that in my Xprog -T manual it says the DIP socket has VSS on 1 and VCC on 8.
Tried to switch pins 1 and 4 and still no luck reading the X24C01.
If the VSS really is on pin 1 on the programer it shouldnt have read and write the 24LC01B.
Still VERY confused about this. :banghead:

It might say not completely. On several programmers when they do stand alone programming on this chip they connect P 1,2,3,4 and 7 together and to ground. But this should give no diierent effect if my assumtion of the reverse power supplying is the cause. Look at the link as an example PonyProg - Serial device programmer (http://www.lancos.com/prog.html#hardware)

pinch
6th February, 2010, 05:46 PM
M-H -
I have a bunch of old Volvo double DIN radio casette players without the codes.
They are from the middle of the 90:s so they are not sellable, so I use them for practice, if they get ****ed up=no biggie.
Just trying to get the hang of reading these little x24 f**kers.

pinch
7th February, 2010, 12:25 PM
Anyone here who has a Xpro-T and has had sucess in reading the X24C01 ?

pp2209
11th March, 2010, 03:58 PM
I use Martech I2C clip to read 24c01 eprom from Volvo radio in circuit without problem!

pinch
14th March, 2010, 08:20 PM
What computer configuration do you use ?
USB power or external ?

bonecrusher
9th August, 2010, 02:47 PM
what is the difference between standard 24c01 and x24c01
can they be interchanged?

TWINGO
9th August, 2010, 06:34 PM
I am trying to read a X24C01 in circuit with soic clip but keeps getting verifying error.
I use a X-prog T and DIP to SOIC adapter cable.
What am I doing wrong ?

I've some problem to write 24Cxx. I use IC-prog with serial port. The problem was windows rs232 drivers. If I use WIN98 I've not problem. I've resolved with usb adapter. I use the old wafer card programmer (ludipipo)... It work great for immo chip of edc15...