PDA

View Full Version : Watch out for Dead Space......

Raven
12th October, 2008, 12:17 AM
Looks like it's going to be the next big single player game....reviews have been very positive (I read one review somewhere that I googled as a 9.3/10) and gamespot heavily hinted at a 10/10 review in one of the podcasts on the site.

The game is finished now and I think it comes out on haloween. If you don't know about the game it is a survival horror game made by EA.

Looks like it's gonna be good but there's alot of undoubtedly popular games coming out around the same time like Fallout 3, Far Cry 2 and not to mention Gears of War 2.

Has anyone here played Fallout 3 yet ? What's it like any good ?

Also Fifa 09 is a brilliant game. Seriously I'm going to buy a 360 again for that game!

rob6007
12th October, 2008, 04:20 PM
fifa .

sorry mate pro evo is far better than fifa .

i like the sound of the game you are takling about . ea dont often make games like that do they .

cant wait for call of duty 5 .

Raven
12th October, 2008, 04:52 PM
sorry mate pro evo is far better than fifa .

Have you actually played Fifa and PES this year mate ?

Because I'll tell you I used to think just like you that PES was better than Fifa and it was....but not anymore. Because PES has gone downhill. Whereas Fifa is now genuinely the better game on next gen especially this year.

I'm a long time PES fan/Fifa hater typically but I can see when one game is better than the other and Fifa is better than PES this year for sure.

I played the PES2009 demo and thought it was honestly shit, I played Fifa 09 for the first time afterwards and instantly had more fun on it and knew it was a better game. I'm talking about the 360 versions not PS2.

Dead Space does look good though however I'm not sure that (Treyarch developed) Call Of Duty 5 will be better than CoD 4 as the new one is back to WWII pretty much which has been done to death, and Infinity Ward make the best CoD games they made CoD 2 and 4 whereas Treyarch made CoD 3 which wasn't as good. We shall see but I just think Infinity Ward expanded the franchise to another level with last year's game....I don't know why the 2 developers have to take turns though why can't infinity ward just make them all ?

fuzzums
22nd October, 2008, 05:45 PM
I played Pro Evo on my mate's Xbox, it was brilliant.

I'll need to get my own, can't wait for Dead Space or COD5.

Raven
23rd October, 2008, 08:42 PM
PES knocked FIFA off the top spots in the UK games charts apparently. I still think Fifa is the better game overall. Especially online....can't stand the PES cheaters online....because of the way PES is it's always get the ball to the tricky, pacey player (Ronaldinho or Kaka) and there's nothing the opposition can do it's rape defense time just because it's a star player on the ball. At least Fifa lets you play football and more importantly tackle star players.

Evo would be great to play online if it wern't for the cheaters (meaning if people actually played football funnily enough) and the lag.

Pes isn't as bad as I first thought, it has grown on me and it does play a better game of football than Fifa BUT fifa allows for competetive play online and offline and isn't nearly as laggy....and it has 10vs10 online play...Konami evidently struggle to do 1vs1 online. All in all it's Fifa over PES this year for me.

shady77
23rd October, 2008, 10:15 PM
well generally have both fifa and pes games as i like to play football so i need fifa
and i also like a laugh creating teams and players etc/ and scanning famous people on them. (my back 4 is the a team for instance) its great on a friday night after the pub having epic matches with scorelines like 13-11

borkrogers
11th November, 2008, 03:52 PM
In regards to Dead Space, if any of you played and liked/loved System Shock 2, make sure to play DS. Since EA owns the System Shock franchise, they kept Irrational (the studio that made SS2, now no longer owned by EA) from making SS3. Instead, Irrational made BioShock - the game legally closest to a SS2 sequel they could make. To keep from looking like a bunch of wannabes in the wake of BioShock's success, EA renamed their SS3 project-in-progress to "Dead Space." So from a gameplay standpoint, DS is all but the official sequel to SS2.
... and it's mighty fine.

violentj
11th November, 2008, 08:40 PM
dead space is nothing more than a generic shooter

go in room-kill baddies-look round-go in next room kill baddies-look around

on first play thru its a fantastic game,good graphics,fantastic atmosphere-but the further in you get you begin to realise just how generic it is,a series of barely disguised box rooms-enemys that take the exact same path every time,

its worth a rent and play thru but not buying

borkrogers
12th November, 2008, 03:45 PM
I'm not arguing that it's great and that everyone should play it. . . unless you were a serious fan of System Shock 2. Even then, Dead Space is *somewhat* disappointing. Most notably, the RPG system has been dumbed down. In its place are the "Store" and "Bench" (a weapons and equipment upgrading system), which use "credits" and "power nodes," respectively, instead of "nanites" and "cybernetic modules." Combat, however, I've found to be far more enjoyable than the clunky SS2 engagements, due to DS's emphasis on dismemberment, requiring careful aiming on every attacker. Granted enemy AI isn't tactically brilliant, but then again they're single-minded monsters.

I don't expect all gamers to enjoy Dead Space. Maybe not even MOST gamers. But again, for those who remember the rapture of System Shock 2, DS is an enjoyable obligation.

Fair enough?

Raven
12th November, 2008, 06:08 PM
on first play thru its a fantastic game,good graphics,fantastic atmosphere-but the further in you get you begin to realise just how generic it is,a series of barely disguised box rooms-enemys that take the exact same path every time,

Fair enough m8 that's your opinion and you're entitled to it and I respect that, however I could say the exact same thing about any game out there by the reasoning you stated. Obviously games alot like movies lose a certain something after the first play through due to the fact that you know what is going to happen in advance but that doesn't make the game any less good or bad just because you completed it already.....that's about the same as someone watching a movie that they thought was really good and then saying it's crap later on because they seen it already.

Just a point on the series of barely disguised box rooms well yeah I can tell normally when a firefight will take place in Dead Space and I could tell even more in Uncharted Drakes Fortune but it didn't make the games any less good or bad and it's like what do you want them to do ? What was you expecting ? Because I play Dead Space amongst other games and I honestly can't see the validity of your argument since it's somewhat innacurate, I haven't noticed the enemies following the same patterns (except for the scripted events) in fact if anything I've noticed the enemies attacking from different paths each time. And considering most of the time you are being attacked by multiple enemies from different angles I think it's abit unfair to mark the game down for enemy AI being predictable.

Am I playing a different game to you and are you sure you're thinking of Dead Space m8 ? because although I respect your opinion I'm trying to see the validity of it and I just can't.

I don't mean any offense or disrespect but I just can't shake the feeling that you're blowing your point out of proportion and targeting the game for unfair negativity....I'm not just saying this because I happen to like the game I'm mainly saying this because from what I can tell you're making it out to be alot worse than it is and levelling unfair criticisms at this game which in all fairness you could apply to any game out there in some form or another.

But then it doesn't really matter does it we all have our own opinions that we stick to, certain other opinions that we entertain but sometimes cannot see....I've slagged Gears Of War off on more than one occasion for being what is in my honest opinion just another overhyped shooter....I think there's many better 3rd person shooters and better pure squad based tactical shooters aswell and I know for a fact that alot of Gears fans disagree with me but that is my unbiased opinion of that game based on what I've played of it and how I see it, you obviously have your opinions aswell.

shortyball
14th November, 2008, 11:10 AM
there is to much emphasis on games getting high scores because they look pretty. Like you say it ends up just been a normal shooter.
There are so many games you can go back and play that look rubbish compared today but the gameplay or idea just hasnt been matched.

Raven
14th November, 2008, 05:14 PM
There are so many games you can go back and play that look rubbish compared today but the gameplay or idea just hasnt been matched.......Like Goldeneye 007 as a perfect example. :)

It's right though I hear what you're saying, too many games are all style no substance nowadays.

I mean take a look at the PC gaming market it's choc full of poor games and worse ports with a sprinkling of good games thrown into the mix and perhaps 1 or 2 future tech games out for it.....and people go on about the PC gaming dying if piracy continues.....well considering PC games will never go away and looking at what we have now with shoddy ports and a bunch of crap aswell as any near decent game being riddled with DRM and internet authentication and activation install limits on the games that you buy which does nothing but promote piracy as opposed to stopping it - I would safely say that PC gaming is already as dead as could be and has been for quite a while.....especially considering most developers are focusing their attentions to the 360 and PS3 consoles as they aren't as easily pirated or whatever when compared to the PC platform.

My point in all of this is the focus on something superficial that isn't all that important as opposed to the core things which are vital.....be it gameplay or customer trust if you like....I don't care what anybody says it's the developers and companies like EA and 2KGames that are crippling the PC gaming industry with DRM bollocks and shoddy ports.

And the people who spout that crap about the game (or art as those people call it - seriously shut up!) being the developer's and company property and when we buy the game we are essentially licensing usage or in other words renting it...no, no.....it's exploitation at it's very finest if I buy a game and pay for it fair and square that makes it mine to keep forever and to do whatever I like with at any point as it's my property once I pay for it just like anything else in this world from a DVD to a carton of milk to a roll of toilet paper. All this Digital Rights Management, internet authentication and the user limited to 7 installs ever crap all it's doing really is killing the used games market, in turn making more money to the companies and screwing over the people that were stupid enough to "do the right thing" and buy the game legit and it's not even about piracy don't kid yourself it's about them exploiting people in mass and swindling them out of yet more money AFTER they already paid once on property that they own once they have bought it and it's like if they are going to take this route then sod them just pirate all the DRM games especially until Sunday comes and screw them over and get the game anyway minus the bollocks they put in at retail.

It's about them making a quick buck or two at the exploitation of the people that bought their game, the companies are basically biting the hand that feeds pretty much....all this under the guise of stopping piracy, and if that's truly the case then why has DRM worsened instead of being canned altogether as a failure as it has done exactly zero to stop piracy.....the answer is it's obviously not about piracy at all that's just a decoy that idiotic people believe. Try telling them that lol it's the same as trying to tell someone something they don't want to hear or believe and it's like pissing in the wind.

C64
15th November, 2008, 08:53 PM
I played and finished Dead Space before it was released, I really enjoyed it :)