PDA

View Full Version : Kess clone write to dcm3.7 error

nick93
27th August, 2021, 06:36 PM
Hi, I just bought a kess clone 5.017 (red pcb) and had sucesfully read (backup) my original file from obd port.
When I try to write anything (obd port), even the original file, the data led flashes for a few seconds and then I get the error " an error occurred during the writing" at 0%

My setup:
KSuite_2.23_NO-CHECKSUM-CKS_Disabled
i20 2013 crdi 1.1 dcm3.7
HW: U700B120_DELIV_1
SW: 7H77_PBAA01_D12

is there any solution? other portocol? maybe alter firmware to sd card? faulty cable? try other KSuite ? other laptop ?

Thaaaaaaaaaaanks

chriaran
28th August, 2021, 08:56 PM
kess will not let you flash this ecu..... open ecu and read with ktag... clone works with no problem... you have to solder some bridges.. will post a picture of the diagram later.

nick93
28th August, 2021, 11:59 PM
Thaaaanks, I have just ordered a clone ktag. Any pictures-help will be much appreciated.

black19932
29th August, 2021, 12:52 AM
Hello
PCMFlash can read/write this one. Module 54 i think. Also, maybe KTAG EU clone but not sure. Otherwise only original ktag, kess etc..

br556hre
29th August, 2021, 04:15 PM
did you have good voltage during write? I have seen clons doing wierd stuff if voltage fluctuate too much or low under 12,5 V.
Put the car on charger and it shud work, if read was good write shod not be a problem.

Smart66
29th August, 2021, 04:30 PM
Car is running after that? You didn't brick the ECU?

nick93
29th August, 2021, 10:31 PM
Hello
PCMFlash can read/write this one. Module 54 i think. Also, maybe KTAG EU clone but not sure. Otherwise only original ktag, kess etc..
I have ordered this ktag https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000085836501.html
Where can I find the EU? Is it possible to rework my clone to work as genuine and make the flash?

did you have good voltage during write? I have seen clons doing wierd stuff if voltage fluctuate too much or low under 12,5 V.
Put the car on charger and it shud work, if read was good write shod not be a problem.

also tried with voltage >13 get the same error and then the protocol doesnt support this ECU

Car is running after that? You didn't brick the ECU?
Car is running fine. I think that the write process didnt start at all. it stays at 0% and the led blinks for 5sec and then error.

Smart66
29th August, 2021, 11:35 PM
Clone will never work as OEM so you must be really careful if you're using clone tools. There are a lot of cases of bricking ecu's...

heteromies
30th August, 2021, 03:00 AM
Kess 5.030 support many DCM3.7 OBD.

Smart66
30th August, 2021, 06:29 AM
Although kess works fine with many ECU's, there isn't any guarantee that it will always work well...

nick93
30th August, 2021, 07:37 PM
So clone Ktag (red) V7.020 has any chance to flash this ecu ?

br556hre
31st August, 2021, 06:08 AM
I checked last night with ksuite 2.80 updates on 7.020 red eu clone ksuite 2.25 knows more different DCM3.7 versions..
I'v been looking for info about antara 135kW and now its new (before it was same protocol for all antara dcm3.7, now it has new protocol 520 i think..)

might be worth trying..

nick93
31st August, 2021, 07:04 PM
Do you mean I should try the Antara protocol?

br556hre
2nd September, 2021, 05:56 AM
I used 2.80 kSuite recently to read DCM3.7AP as Opel/GM Antara 135kW and it read it correctly even it throw crc error after reading.. I did not try write it over OBD until I get full backup with KTAG.

kSuite for KESSV2 has at least two protocols for OBD and few more for KTAG. There is one new protocol for 135kW version, cant remember protocol number (610 or 520 or something like that).

When you open it (DCM3.7AP) versions might look different, and rainbow cables need different connection order than older versions. You have it in KTAG help.

nick93
3rd September, 2021, 01:03 PM
Ok, I will give it a try with different protocols.

Anyone have tried or recommend for this ecu
ECUF (Alex flasher) with clone Tactrix ?

nick93
5th September, 2021, 07:02 PM
I used 2.80 kSuite recently to read DCM3.7AP as Opel/GM Antara 135kW and it read it correctly even it throw crc error after reading.. I did not try write it over OBD until I get full backup with KTAG.

kSuite for KESSV2 has at least two protocols for OBD and few more for KTAG. There is one new protocol for 135kW version, cant remember protocol number (610 or 520 or something like that).

When you open it (DCM3.7AP) versions might look different, and rainbow cables need different connection order than older versions. You have it in KTAG help.

Tried antara protocols but cant even ID my ecu. Have you tried ECUF ? maybe works with my ross-tech vcds cable ?

nick93
11th September, 2021, 09:07 PM
Today I get a read with ktag clone. The file is only 749kb and its not recognized from DPF Remover 2017.05
The read processed normally from 0-100% and then checksumm error
I havent tried to write the same file back.
Anyone can check if the file is valid ?

br556hre
14th September, 2021, 05:59 AM
Hey I think you did something wrong, you shud get 2 MB read, this looks like bad read to me.

Re-Check your connections, wire by wire, and make sure not to have any short circuits between pins and try again.

carmageddon
14th September, 2021, 08:51 AM
Today I get a read with ktag clone. The file is only 749kb and its not recognized from DPF Remover 2017.05
The read processed normally from 0-100% and then checksumm error
I havent tried to write the same file back.
Anyone can check if the file is valid ?
the archive is valid but is crypted and this happen when the checksum is bad on the file (because mod for example) or when the readout is bad for software problem on the tool or checksum unsupported, is not possible to extract files from crypted archive as this

Smart66
14th September, 2021, 09:00 AM
I'd said it before, file isn't read correctly :(

carmageddon
14th September, 2021, 10:06 AM
I'd said it before, file isn't read correctly :(

maybe you dont understand, the readout is correct, but is crypted archive from tool for some problem as checksum unsupported or wrong protocol...this is.

with genuine tool you must send this file to alien and they give you solution

Smart66
14th September, 2021, 10:39 AM
I understand that well. Something is definitely wrong. Using clone tools always make a risk :(

br556hre
14th September, 2021, 01:41 PM
Thing is.. read is probably OK but new version was found, by using "encrypted" zipped data Alien gets new software sent and is able to update their protocols to remain up to date. I bet the read is good and in file is compressed and crypted version of read possible with log file. The size is just about what you would get from 2MB read and Ziped..

Smart66
14th September, 2021, 02:15 PM
Unfortunately, Alientech support isn't available for clone tools :( There isn't any their responsibility.

ombre57
14th September, 2021, 04:25 PM
hi c is normal its my done the same for med 17.5 by ktag unreadable file and compress but I had the id and I redid the connection in boot mode tricore no problem you I think it is pa renesas jtag to avor the id and the file readable as on the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFU84wsBV_4

nick93
18th September, 2021, 06:34 PM
the archive is valid but is crypted and this happen when the checksum is bad on the file (because mod for example) or when the readout is bad for software problem on the tool or checksum unsupported, is not possible to extract files from crypted archive as this

I have a non encrypted kess read. Can I try to write it with ktag?
If the write fails can I restore this encrypted backup ?
Maybe if someone has original ktag can submit my files to allientech ?
Maybe using older ktag version <7.020 or different ksuite ?

I think I find same HW SW file can I write or I will have problems? please someone verify if this is a Ktag or Kess file.

THAAAAAAAANKS

nick93
20th September, 2021, 04:52 PM

Hi, please I need some help.

If the write fails can I restore this encrypted backup ?
Maybe if someone has original ktag can submit my files to allientech ?

nick93
22nd September, 2021, 12:50 PM

So I have news. A very helpfull member has sucesfully DECODED extract files from the crypted archive. I tried to write the file with clone ktag but KSUITE pops up CHECKSUM ERROR.
PLEASEEEEE someone can correct checksumm so I can write the file ??
Thanks!!

carmageddon
22nd September, 2021, 03:22 PM
normally delphi dcm 3.7 have 2176 kb as filesize...this readout is 2177 kb and also cutting the file ols does not support checksum, i think that this version of ecu need upgraded/other version of checksum.

nick93
22nd September, 2021, 05:12 PM
normally delphi dcm 3.7 have 2176 kb as filesize...this readout is 2177 kb and also cutting the file ols does not support checksum, i think that this version of ecu need upgraded/other version of checksum.
maybe you are right and its a "unsupported clone protocol" thats why for safety ksuite encrypts the data. or maybe that extra KB it the eeprom ? dont know...

Please can you remove dpf & egr from the decoded file ?
We will try to encode-crypt it back to 751kb and then try to write it to ecu.

Please help me to dpf & egr off and I will post how it goes.

Thanks

carmageddon
22nd September, 2021, 06:33 PM
i think that your way is the best choice to find problem…stop to send pm, i cannot help you, thanks

br556hre
22nd September, 2021, 06:45 PM
I looked at your files, Its strange but all 3 versions of flash look good after fixing alignement, but they all different from your original read in few places (looks like few numbers different)

What I think is eeprom is another story. Compare for yourself and see.

It might be good idea you screenshot KTAG options you have enabled. Can you read "eeprom" separately from "flash" and post those files?

Files attached have not been crc corrected (dont have possibility do do it and be sure its good sorry.)..

nick93
22nd September, 2021, 10:40 PM
I see what you did here, but I think it will not work. Let me explain.
Ktag lets me pick only micro (maps), says eeprom not present.

What it reeds seems not normal so ksuite encodes the file.
with help I managed to decode files and it seems the file contains maps + eeprom.

so should I try to write only the 2048kb aligned you send me ?

br556hre
23rd September, 2021, 05:47 AM
Well that's the idea, but make sure you get good CRC on this files as I don't have resources to do it properly.

PS. can you PM me please solution to decrypt this ktag files. Thank you!

nick93
23rd September, 2021, 08:05 PM
Well that's the idea, but make sure you get good CRC on this files as I don't have resources to do it properly.

PS. can you PM me please solution to decrypt this ktag files. Thank you!

I just let him know. Ok now I am going to try to write your v1_flash_dec_aligned.bin + v1_flash_dec.bin and his recrypted dpfoff zipped file.
Will report back. I hope not to brick my ECU

PS: please can you also DEC + DEC-Aligned this file?
Thanks

nick93
23rd September, 2021, 10:39 PM
So news. I tried the re-encoded dpf off file (size 768.064 byte) and after a minute at 0% writing I get error File size not compatible with the hardware of this ECU

Tried my original encoded backup (also 768.064 byte ) and flash 0-100% normally.

Tried all br556hre files and get imidiatelly checksum error. Ksuite 2.23 & ksuite 2.25

br556hre
24th September, 2021, 07:13 AM
try flashing just maps, not complete backup.

nick93
24th September, 2021, 01:25 PM
try flashing just maps, not complete backup.
also tried that. I get immidiately checksum error at all files I try

br556hre
24th September, 2021, 01:39 PM
that means your tool is not able to correct cheksums and it shud be imho. Try to fix it manually.

I tried to do something with one file, see if it will be accepted.

proel
24th September, 2021, 01:58 PM
Try to write in recovery mode...

nick93
24th September, 2021, 03:11 PM
Try to write in recovery mode...
How can I write with recovery mode with KTAG ?

proel
24th September, 2021, 06:57 PM
How can I write with recovery mode with KTAG ?
Sorry I mean on kess ...

Aladinnu
25th September, 2021, 09:02 AM
ur tool gives u "checksum error" because u already tryed to flash ecu by obd and failed...thats why u get that error. u can only fix it on boot with ktag.
1.read eeprom separate
2.read flash separate and u will get again checksum error.
3.using id from kess search original bdm dump and write it down only the flash...not using "write backup" .
4.after that do a backup read and compare eeprom and flash files with the ones read at the begining.

Same thing happens when u try to flash a edc17 with tprot using clone kess...u will get checksum error reading with ktag, only eeprom will be ok for reading.

br556hre
25th September, 2021, 03:21 PM
@Aladinnu: I understand all but point 3. If I got you right, you say 100% original (with all crcs intacts) is a must and without it you cannot repair this situation.
Reason for this situation is KESS v2 writes something when READ is performed so leaving flash with bad crcs?

can you be more precise please so I can fully undertand?

Aladinnu
27th September, 2021, 11:50 AM
when u first made ID with kess , u got a HW and SW number related to that ecu. in ur case ( HW: U700B120_DELIV_1 SW: 7H77_PBAA01_D12 ) find the original DUMP for that and after u find it u write it with KTAG

br556hre
27th September, 2021, 12:46 PM
Thanks, that's clear, to fix you need to "restore" good file with all crcs intact.

But question is, can reading with kess actually write something so that crc's don't match anymore?

Smart66
27th September, 2021, 01:21 PM
Stop wasting of time in vain because you may brick ECU. Try other tool or find out somone else to fix that for you!

br556hre
27th September, 2021, 01:27 PM
It's nick93 (https://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/member.php/772142-nick93)'s problem, he will decide what to do about ECU. I just try to gather information about this because it's rather interesting to me. Also learning from others is great feature of this forum.

Smart66
27th September, 2021, 01:35 PM
I have nothing against gathering informations. But if he brick the ECU serious financial damage may occur :(

Aladinnu
28th September, 2021, 11:38 AM
A file read with kess in incomplete compared with a file read with Ktag....so find an original dump read with KTAG and write that one...ofcourse same HW and SW number.

Smart66
28th September, 2021, 12:25 PM
KESS can't make full read :(

nick93
4th October, 2021, 03:44 PM
A file read with kess in incomplete compared with a file read with Ktag....so find an original dump read with KTAG and write that one...ofcourse same HW and SW number.

Hi, where can I find original ktag dump?
also the ecu “locks” itself from a failed kess clone read or from a failed kess clone write? Also what about the Immo?

Smart66
4th October, 2021, 05:12 PM
Only from Alientech server :(

nick93
6th October, 2021, 01:12 PM
An expert told me that I eeprom + maps are on a single file for that ECU. So if I find an original dump the car wont start because of the IMMO

Smart66
6th October, 2021, 02:07 PM
Who exactly said that?

al70
18th November, 2021, 10:06 AM
I've been trying for two days now to write an egr off file with pcm flash, I bought it specifically for this car ( polo 1.2, dcm3.7 ) it reads perfectly but it won't write, I don't have the car, just the ecu so I'm reading obd on bench, this is a pic of my problem, anyone else come across this problem, maybe it's because it's not in the car ?

Inquizit0r
18th November, 2021, 10:11 AM
I've been trying for two days now to write an egr off file with pcm flash, I bought it specifically for this car ( polo 1.2, dcm3.7 ) it reads perfectly but it won't write, I don't have the car, just the ecu so I'm reading obd on bench, this is a pic of my problem, anyone else come across this problem, maybe it's because it's not in the car ?

Because not at car.

al70
18th November, 2021, 11:06 AM
I sure hope so inquizitor, I'm leaving the house now to go travel to the car, I'll post the results , cheers

Inquizit0r
18th November, 2021, 03:12 PM
I sure hope so inquizitor, I'm leaving the house now to go travel to the car, I'll post the results , cheers

I have original PCMflash. And test VAG DCM3.7 at car and on bench. 100% no problem at car. Writing perfectly.

al70
18th November, 2021, 06:07 PM
you were right inquizitor, everything went perfect when i put the ecu back in the car, cheers