PDA

View Full Version : Relink original bmw master key with engine management unit.

shineyshoes
6th February, 2010, 07:37 PM
My (only) ignition key (e39, 2002) has stopped working and the car won't start..

Anyone know how to relink it to the engine management system?

=========
A bit 'o' background..

It stopped after I left it in the ignition while cleaning out the screen wash tank/filter. There is a tank sensor. With 20:20 hindsight, it probably got triggered half a zillion times during the disassembly/cleanout.

My other (remote central un/locking, no ignition) key still works ok.

Carsoft651 initially (ie 1st check after the key prblm started) showed ecw, instrumentcluster, airbag errors. These were/are all resettable by carsoft with the ignition key in position1.. But, try to start the engine (key to position3) and the next carsoft full diag check shows the return of ecw/instrucluster errors.

Resynching the emw/ignition in carsoft doesn't complete (error msg "can't finish this" or somesuch).

When the key is used to try to start the engine, all/most of the instrument cluster lights come on, there is noise from within the dashboard, some of the exterior lights flash, and no sound from the engine..

Disconnecting the car battery overnight makes no difference.

Oh, and the screen wash jets work really well now.

obdmaster
6th February, 2010, 08:15 PM
Its not a job, for the faint hearted:

http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f115/bmw-e39-ews-3-problem-84248/

shineyshoes
6th February, 2010, 08:33 PM
I'm reading the thread now - hope I'll find your dad got it fixed !

obdmaster
6th February, 2010, 08:34 PM
Its a happy ending m8
:ridinghorse:

shineyshoes
6th February, 2010, 09:09 PM
from #108 http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f115/bmw-e39-ews-3-problem-84248/

"EWS boxes ive been told are ?50 to ?60. Why did we try fixing it at that sort of money? you might ask as im asking myself! Cause deep down we all like a challenge!!"

I think I may be happier "unchallenged"!

My 1st thought is: confirm the diagnosis in my case, and then get the ews box (and I guess maintain future compatibility with the other 9 mainstealer keys).

Is the ews a dealer-only product?

obdmaster
6th February, 2010, 09:20 PM
Make sure it is the ews, mine had no communication on diagnostics. What BMW diagnostics you got m8?

shineyshoes
6th February, 2010, 09:51 PM
saved output from carsoft651 plus screenprints of same.

Can post em: is that acceptable forum policy?

obdmaster
6th February, 2010, 09:58 PM
yes m8, post em, we post screenshots all the time here. its nice friendly place here

shineyshoes
6th February, 2010, 10:03 PM
ok, I'll go dig 6 of 'em off the old carsoft laptop and post em as attachments in 20mins.

shineyshoes
6th February, 2010, 10:34 PM
Here's 6 screen shots and the carsoft651 history file.

Items 1 and 2 are from a pevious run on the same car a year ago before this problem.

Items 3-6 are after the problem started and are from the first use of carsoft. The names should be expalnatory.

the carsoft .pdb file is the history of the run that produced the screen shots. It needs cs to make it pr0perly readable.

Over to you!

obdmaster
6th February, 2010, 10:47 PM
where are your EWS fault codes m8? ? I can see vares is hovering over this thread. Hes one of the members who helped me. Hes very good on this subject m8

shineyshoes
6th February, 2010, 10:52 PM
ok, dumb answer I know, but, where/how would I find these?

obdmaster
6th February, 2010, 10:54 PM
ok, dumb answer I know, but, where/how would I find these?

Go into EWS m8, thats your im*obiliser and read the fault codes.

go into DME or DDE also m8 and get codes thats your engine management

shineyshoes
6th February, 2010, 10:59 PM
Sorry let me rephrase. I'm guessing that cs651 wont allow me to do that: what tool should I be using?

obdmaster
6th February, 2010, 11:04 PM
Sorry let me rephrase. I'm guessing that cs651 wont allow me to do that: what tool should I be using?

Do you work with cars m8, as both Inpa and pasoft 1.4.0 i used. You can make things a whole lot worse by pressing the wrong button if you dont know what your doing.

Dont mean to sound horrible m8,

Thats why i asked so many questions when doing mine m8

shineyshoes
6th February, 2010, 11:10 PM
work with computers when i can and cars when i must. Which is why the solution you followed for your D's car was interesting.

Agree with caution!

Will research Inpa and pasoft 1.4.0.

edit

the nearest cs651 gets the descriptive ews eor info seems to be:

which doesnt include error #'s

obdmaster
6th February, 2010, 11:12 PM
Inpa is good but dangerous, you can buy it cheap from china m8.

http://www.ecutool.com/productshow.asp?id=142&sortsid=3505&sorts=BMW%20Tools

and i found it a right bastard to get working m8.

obdmaster
6th February, 2010, 11:20 PM
work with computers when i can and cars when i must. Which is why the solution you followed for your D's car was interesting.

Agree with caution!

Will research Inpa and pasoft 1.4.0.

edit

the nearest cs651 gets the descriptive ews eor info seems to be:

which doesnt include error #'s

Is that all carsoft can do? If so m8, chuck it in the bin and spend ?25 on inpa, can do everything but BE CAREFULL!!!!!!!

shineyshoes
6th February, 2010, 11:24 PM
Which of them gives the best diagnostics? Does one achieve it or do they give different but complimentary info?

I'm more interested, initially, in confirming whats gone wrong and identifying a solution. Hacking hex is very definitely last resort stuff!

obdmaster
6th February, 2010, 11:28 PM
Which of them gives the best diagnostics? Does one achieve it or do they give different but complimentary info?

I'm more interested, initially, in confirming whats gone wrong and identifying a solution. Hacking hex is very definitely last resort stuff!

There both on par in my eyes in reading faults. Inpa is cheap and for reading faults its great m8. Dont press the WRONG button though!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

shineyshoes
6th February, 2010, 11:33 PM
Ok, inpa it is.

Do you want to sell yours for what you paid for it plus postage? :eating:

obdmaster
6th February, 2010, 11:35 PM
Ok, inpa it is.

Do you want to sell yours for what you paid for it plus postage? :eating:

Why m8? I use it at least once a week its my job, fixing cars.

Ecutool are fast on delivery get it sent by DHl it will be here thurs , friday m8

shineyshoes
6th February, 2010, 11:42 PM
[QUOTE=obdmaster;446034]Why m8? I use it at least once a week its my job, fixing cars.

Ah - hadn't realised it worked on lots of cars rather than just a few bms. More reading needed!

Thanks for all your time by the way.

Cheers!

obdmaster
6th February, 2010, 11:45 PM
[QUOTE=obdmaster;446034]Why m8? I use it at least once a week its my job, fixing cars.

Ah - hadn't realised it worked on lots of cars rather than just a few bms. More reading needed!

Thanks for all your time by the way.

Cheers!

No m8, just works on BMWs, but BMWs arent as realiable as they Youst to Be!!! :eek:

shineyshoes
6th February, 2010, 11:53 PM
"BMWs arent as realiable as they Youst to Be!!!"

agreed.

by the way, is Never,never land within easy traveling distance of J2 M25?

obdmaster
7th February, 2010, 12:02 AM
"BMWs arent as realiable as they Youst to Be!!!"

agreed.

by the way, is Never,never land within easy traveling distance of J2 M25?

Never never land is way up north m8, right next to north pole!!!!!!:eek:

shineyshoes
7th February, 2010, 12:12 AM
Pity. I suspect some (paying) car work is coming up @J2 or close by. I'll be back in a few days with some ews data.

Thanks again.

Toodles.

shineyshoes
9th February, 2010, 11:17 PM
OK..what's happened:

1) inpa 5.0.0 (300mB .iso) found, installed and working*.
2) carsoft cable/box ("BMW compatible Interface V6.5") hacked and working* with inpa5 and "BMW scanner v1.4.0 demo".
3) car starts.
4) f*ckin'A

&some pics (see attached).

note: working* => BUT, in inpa, bat and ignition signal = OFF (and presumably some scripts won't run).

======================================
What I've learnt (abridged version):

1)p7 hardwired to p8: nothing (inpa) works without it. My connection looks identical to KeCool Electronics Co., Ltd. - Auto Electronics - Carsoft Compatible Interface - BMW Carsoft 6.5 (http://www.kecool.com/Products/Product.asp?ID=108) . The car-side cable is an x-over (obdmale>box:16>15,15>4,8>3,7>2,4>9, rest>disconnected). The hardwiring was therefore best done @ the cable end in the male odb2 socket. The circuit brd has a xilinx and a maxim chip.

2)The keywords "inpa" or "inpav5" are useful in utorrent.exe. Try the pb searchs.

3) "INPA-The Movie" at #94 http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f104/bmw-inpa-obd-ads-47624/index7.html is essential viewing. If you deviate from it (and I did at one point, successfully), probably best to know why. Basically inpa/ediabas etc is 20yr old software.Its likely been continuously bodged to keep it alive(see ediabas.ini for the amazing line win3.xx=nein, and threed.vbx circa 1993)and is, in my opinion, a house of cards.

4) use com1: if using a 9p rs232 port don't frig with manual edits to obd.ini/ediabas.ini.I used 115200,8,n,1,n (didnt try 9600).

5a) "directnt.sys kann nicht geoffnet werden" is german for you haven't fixed something in odb.ini / ediabas.ini with
"c:\ediabas\hardware\obd\obdsetup.exe" or "c:\ediabas\hardware\ads\ads32\adssetup.exe"
or maybe haven't copied a correct odb.ini to windows dir. Google trans doesn't have this yet.

5b) inpa certainly runs on xpsp3 ntfs and probably on fat32.

6) A p2/300 with 128mb was adequate for my use.

7) I found it useful to explore for 30m, with the cable disconnected from the car, the inpa/ncsexpert/tool32/winkfp menus&functionkeys . This helped me decide to never try out winKFP.

8) it can take time for the module(s) (in an e39/2002) to wake up. I did a carsoft "full diag" the first time before "BMW scanner v1.4.0 demo" first gave info.

9) rapidshare never has the goods.

10) p7 hardwires to p8..

My Thanks to:

obdmaster (see above)
seaman5705 (awarded for toleration beyond the CofD in dealing with RTFM dyslexia .)
zecas ("BMW compatible Interface V6.5" does work with inpa.)
Turaga08 (background info)
bram380 (manuals)
zeronoo (use v1.40 demo to check the interface)
some croatian geezer (for "INPA The Movie")

all from http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f104/bmw-inpa-obd-ads-47624/index1.html

and mr koggle (and vernl, vares et al) from ecubb :: View topic - Modified VAG KKL USB IF for BMW OBD-2 :-) (http://www.socalbavarians.com/bmwecu/viewtopic.php.htm)

and finally,

A thought for bmw ag (for allowing key1 to be made incompatible with ews, while sitting unused in the ignition).

FU BMW.