PDA

View Full Version : NAS Storage anyone?

DavC
14th October, 2008, 11:21 AM
Does anyone here use a NAS box in their home setup?

I'm looking at buying one to hook up to the home network to share media with my PC, dbox and also love the idea of getting one that will download bit torrents without the computer on. (and there's the advantage of having access to your own files from any Internet connection).

Just wondering if they work as well as I hope, and if so which one should i go for?

i've seen this one on ebay: 3.5 NETWORK SATA IDE USB RJ45 LAN DISK Storage Caddy UK on eBay, also, Hard Drive Caddies Enclosures, Drives Storage, Computing (end time 16-Oct-08 01:10:56 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-5-NETWORK-SATA-IDE-USB-RJ45-LAN-DISK-Storage-Caddy-UK_W0QQitemZ310084113486) and it looks like it will do everything i want and the price is an absolute bargain... is it worth paying double/triple that price for a better make? (i've got a spare 500gb sata drive i can throw in it which shouldn't be a problem)

any adivce/suggestiuons would be great :)

XScaPE
14th October, 2008, 12:13 PM
I'm looking at this at the moment, I want one with raid though in case a drive fails. interested in this one:
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Drive+Bays/External+(For+SATA+Drive)/ICY+BOX+IB-NAS-4220-B++2x3.5%22+SATA+HDD+?productId=30150

DavC
16th October, 2008, 04:45 PM
well i've gone and bit the bullet... will be getting one of the boxes i linked to. will be a couple of weeks before i get it all sorted, but i'll be sure to post up my moans/praises/problems/frustrations when i (try to) get it running :)

vtec2000
19th October, 2008, 03:49 AM
Ignore this post read next one....

vtec2000
22nd October, 2008, 02:43 AM
I think the best in the market for home use is Synology OpenDNS (http://www.synology.com) It does so much you be supprised. To list a few:-

ITunes server
PhotoServer
WebServer
FTPSServer
AudioStation (Stream musict to any computer anywhere with a flash player)
IP Camera
RAID (certain models only)
Multimedia Sevice
Download Station (Download Torrients,Emule,http,FTP without your computer being switch on)

Many many more......

mcl
8th November, 2008, 10:47 PM
Don't laugh but I've got a D-Link DSM-G600.
It has a WLAN, FTP, UPNP media server, NFS etc.
You can also hook up a bittorrent client and gui it from your laptop etc.
The spec isn't white hot but it is really well wiki'd.

saseagle
26th November, 2008, 07:37 PM
Hi, I have 2 Nas server units on my home network and they are fine for most things but I wanted to store Hidef video on one and found that 100Mbit Lan was not fast enough. I now use a PC with a 1Gig network card instaead and that seems to work fine. I just seem the 1 Tb/ 1Gig Lacie drive advertised so i will be having a look at that one soon.

DavC
26th November, 2008, 11:15 PM
well i've gone and bit the bullet... will be getting one of the boxes i linked to. will be a couple of weeks before i get it all sorted, but i'll be sure to post up my moans/praises/problems/frustrations when i (try to) get it running :)

i know this was from ages ago. but i got the one in the original link. and only just getting round to having a play the past couple of days.

first thing is the noise... this thing is extremely loud! so i took it apart and basically there is a big fan blowing straight at the side casing of the unit which doesnt have many holes on it. this is what is causing all the noise. As i couldn't be living with it i wired a resistor inline with the fan to slow it down and its bearable now. to be honest i could probably have got away with disconnecting the fan altogether as most normal hard drives arent really cooled.

anyway. i got it set up with a cheapo router i got off a mate (bit new to networking to be honest but learning fast!) and it's set up ok. torrents are downloading on it now. it's a bit awkward to set up a download, but not too bad. i've only got an old 40gig drive in it at the mo, but it seems to be going ok. What i want to do eventually is move that, the router and the modem near the telly but keep them wired up. I can then use it as a media server for the dbox (somehow!) and i quite like the idea of leaving it on 24/7 and having access to my docs from anywhere in the world. lol.

at the end of the day it was by far much cheaper than most NAS boxes, so i didnt have any high expectations. since i dont have anything to compare it to all i can say is it is reasonable!