PDA

View Full Version : Aliens

hoggy952
7th February, 2010, 07:22 PM
There's been some talk recently about SETI (listening out for signals from non Earth intelligent life forms) and beaming out signals to shout about our existance here on Earth. Some say we shouldn't shout about our existence in case the aliens are dangerous...

Who's right?

I know a couple of spaceships have been sent with plaques and discs (records) with information about the Human Race.... but should we beaming out our house number and postcode to any creature with the intelligence enough to hear us?

I mean, what if the alien was similar to a t-rex, but with a hugely developed brain, and a carniverous appetite to match - oh and a planet saving need for carbon based fuels and H2O?!!!

or just murderous intent.... it only takes them to catch Bruce Willis in the bath or asleep, and we're doomed!:eek:

patkins
7th February, 2010, 08:33 PM
Weused to feel safe when John Wayne was alive, he would get us out of any fix. Bruce Willis, I`m not so sure about. How`s the TM 1500ci+ performing? I picked up one in a car boot sale last year and it works a treat esp. on thor 1w.

hoggy952
7th February, 2010, 10:01 PM
How`s the TM 1500ci+ performing? I picked up one in a car boot sale last year and it works a treat esp. on thor 1w.
thats the best investment you've made,their brilliant machines the best that technomate has made.its my first and only machine so far.:congrats:

Meat-Head
7th February, 2010, 10:12 PM
There's been some talk recently about SETI (listening out for signals from non Earth intelligent life forms) and beaming out signals to shout about our existance here on Earth. Some say we shouldn't shout about our existence in case the aliens are dangerous...

!:eek:

Yeah agree with whoever says shout about it. What NOBODY on this site wants is aliens coming down to earth (or using usb dongles) and logging onto 'other' satalite and cable websites.

Would be best if space ships had something like "we are from planet earth, log on to www.digital-kaos.co.uk (http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk) for more information"

what do you guys think?

hoggy952
7th February, 2010, 10:23 PM
[QUOTE=Meat-Head;447293]Yeah agree with whoever says shout about it. What NOBODY on this site wants is aliens coming down to earth (or using usb dongles) and logging onto 'other' satalite and cable websites.

You should realise that we have been broadcasting our presence to the universe for about a hundred years now. Radio signals and tv broadcasts have been going spaceward since broadcasting began.

They have probably picked up the American soaps, and deduced there is no intelligent life on earth. :hahaha:

flyingpig
8th February, 2010, 12:20 AM
Haha,, watching independance day last night with the wife,,, ,there was a point near the end, when the drunk fella was flying the fighter plane, and as he was in the plane, my said 'thats a bit far fetched'.. I had to ask her.... 'what do you mean' thinking to myself that the whole film was really far fetched, she said, 'theres no way you could fly a plane after 30minutes instruction and being drunk'...........I turned away and chuckled...... Oh I love my wife...

If anything is good enough to get here, then they will have no problem making us extinct.....So lets not advertise we are here...

chroma
8th February, 2010, 06:26 AM
Radio waves travel almost as fast as the speed of light in a vacuum (roughly 299,792,458 meters every second, 300million km a second for conveniance) The first significant broadcast of radio was on 12 december 1901.

A light year is how far light travels in a single year (9,460,536,207,068,016 Metres in a vacuum)
So Marconi's transatlantic broadcast will have traveled 109 lightyears or 1,031,198,446,570,413,744 Metres give or take.

Or 640,757,008,178,744.72 miles (641 million billion miles)

So anything sufficiently advanced enough within the radius of that already knows that we're sentient.

If aliens would like to tune in to our TV broadcasts this is what they would be watching at this point:

http://www.geekologie.com/2009/07/02/alien%20tv%202.jpg

The problem is that we dont know how to travel faster than the speed of light (in a vacuum) we already know and have proven that its possable to travel faster than light speed in other mediums, water for instance.
If you look at a submerged reactor you'll notice an eerie blue glow, caused by "cherenkov" radiation.
That is to say, its firing charged electrons through the surrounding water at speeds greater than light.

Certain things happen at sub atomic levels that also breach the lightspeed restriction that general relativity imposes, suggesting that faster than light is possable.
(this is one of the biggest reasons quantum theory and relativistic physics dont cooperate on the chalk board, leading to grand unification theories and several migranes)

As for SETI, its pretty much treated as a joke, seriously under funded and entirely too limited in scope to be of any real use, space is an incomprehensibly big place (this is even without beginning to run the math) SETI has the ability to listen to an insignificantly small fraction of a percentage at present, and even more serious limitations on analysing the data it collects.

anyone whos ever listened to a radio telescope will tell you just how difficult it is to discern between all the background noise (which sounds awesome BTW) and anything sentient.
Not that very many people actualy listen to the audible noise, its all computerised but you can output it raw to amuse tourists or kill the boredom.

given the sheer scale of the universe to assume that theres nothing else out there is both naive and arrogant, the possibility of hearing from anyone however is miniscule at best.

patkins
8th February, 2010, 01:55 PM
[QUOTE=Meat-Head;447293]Yeah agree with whoever says shout about it. What NOBODY on this site wants is aliens coming down to earth (or using usb dongles) and logging onto 'other' satalite and cable websites.

You should realise that we have been broadcasting our presence to the universe for about a hundred years now. Radio signals and tv broadcasts have been going spaceward since broadcasting began.

They have probably picked up the American soaps, and deduced there is no intelligent life on earth. :hahaha:
Thank Jeddah that they never see RTE(irish broadcaster) or they will become hostile. Thank Arthur C. Clarke for satellites.

flyingpig
8th February, 2010, 08:28 PM
I had only just got my head around the general theory of reltivity then i started on the quantum theory...

Still cant get my head around the quantum stuff.. although the general theory is understandable.

Meat-Head
8th February, 2010, 10:52 PM
Radio waves travel almost as fast as the speed of light in a vacuum (roughly 299,792,458 meters every second, 300million km a second for conveniance) The first significant broadcast of radio was on 12 december 1901.................................

properbly off topic, but so how come (for those that don't know i don't watch tv - DK is far better) the tv i watched last week (house/cat sitting) two of the programmes had seen them before, but don't have a tv!

So the aliens will be going elsewhere thinking there is noting but crap from planet earth (except DK)

thered
9th February, 2010, 10:11 AM
Radio waves travel almost as fast as the speed of light in a vacuum (roughly 299,792,458 meters every second, 300million km a second for conveniance) The first significant broadcast of radio was on 12 december 1901.

A light year is how far light travels in a single year (9,460,536,207,068,016 Metres in a vacuum)
So Marconi's transatlantic broadcast will have traveled 109 lightyears or 1,031,198,446,570,413,744 Metres give or take.

Or 640,757,008,178,744.72 miles (641 million billion miles)

So anything sufficiently advanced enough within the radius of that already knows that we're sentient.

If aliens would like to tune in to our TV broadcasts this is what they would be watching at this point:

http://www.geekologie.com/2009/07/02/alien%20tv%202.jpg

The problem is that we dont know how to travel faster than the speed of light (in a vacuum) we already know and have proven that its possable to travel faster than light speed in other mediums, water for instance.
If you look at a submerged reactor you'll notice an eerie blue glow, caused by "cherenkov" radiation.
That is to say, its firing charged electrons through the surrounding water at speeds greater than light.

Certain things happen at sub atomic levels that also breach the lightspeed restriction that general relativity imposes, suggesting that faster than light is possable.
(this is one of the biggest reasons quantum theory and relativistic physics dont cooperate on the chalk board, leading to grand unification theories and several migranes)

As for SETI, its pretty much treated as a joke, seriously under funded and entirely too limited in scope to be of any real use, space is an incomprehensibly big place (this is even without beginning to run the math) SETI has the ability to listen to an insignificantly small fraction of a percentage at present, and even more serious limitations on analysing the data it collects.

anyone whos ever listened to a radio telescope will tell you just how difficult it is to discern between all the background noise (which sounds awesome BTW) and anything sentient.
Not that very many people actualy listen to the audible noise, its all computerised but you can output it raw to amuse tourists or kill the boredom.

given the sheer scale of the universe to assume that theres nothing else out there is both naive and arrogant, the possibility of hearing from anyone however is miniscule at best.

would they pick these up on long wave or medium wave or do you think they have fm stereo these days too

barrowmanandrew
10th February, 2010, 01:45 PM
well if they do watch our tv, they'll probably give u a wide bearth...:wavey::wavey:

shank
10th February, 2010, 08:09 PM
Radio waves travel almost as fast as the speed of light in a vacuum (roughly 299,792,458 meters every second, 300million km a second for conveniance)

Excellent post.

One slight nitpick though, speed of light is approx 300,000km or 186000 miles per second.

mcme786
10th February, 2010, 08:25 PM
really now?

firemouth
12th February, 2010, 01:18 PM

true. and if they picked up the coverage of Any US elections, they would know, for sure, there is no intelligence. as, unless they are killing them, the US tends to ignore the fact that any other country is populated.
they did comment recently (seti) that the use of microwave communication, has cut down how far our transmissions travel.

Quad9
17th February, 2010, 08:30 PM
"It's not the aliens comming to us, it's us going to them"

Those are the words I've always stuck with in regards to this question. I believe in life on other planets but not in the sense of your typical alien film.

RedSpider
18th February, 2010, 10:49 PM
suppose nasa do discover intelligent life on a distant world. is anyone here in any doubt that when the yanks figure a way to get there, they will be going mob handed and with oil drilling equipment?

patkins
18th February, 2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks Quad 9 . That`s certainly a different slant on the subject.

Cronus
19th February, 2010, 09:36 PM
One of Jupiters moons called Europa is widely regarded as having the strongest possibility for extraterrestrial life on it.
A leading scientist has even been quoted as saying "He'd be shocked if no life existed on Europa"

Europa is believed to host a global ocean up to a hundred miles deep and is being fed with more than a hundred times more oxygen than previously thought.
That amount of oxygen would be enough to support more than just microscopic life-forms, and at least three million tons of fishlike creatures could theoretically live and breathe on Europa

That is why there is such massive interest in Lake Vostok in Antartica. They need to find a way to get down into the lake without contaminating it with modern bacteria. If they can do that then I would expect a mission to Europa in the not-too-distant future and then who knows?

SuperSat
21st February, 2010, 12:43 AM
Time will tell!!

hoggy952
21st February, 2010, 05:59 PM
I guess anythings possible. now of course we have astronaut Edgar mitchell saying that Aliens are real and Nasa are hiding the truth of it. Of course the usual debunkers are out in there droves saying hes lost his mind which of course is not true. The evidence is there to see. The witnesses,documents,implants,data is all there. Contact is established certainly on an individual basis (contactees)but as far as Government/Military contact of a communication nature its highly possible contact has failed due to human aggression but if true that contact has occured on a Gov/Mil level when it will be made public is another matter. As to a secret shadow government existing thats possible and probable under the circumstances of alien contact. Technology has advanced at a colossal level since the turn of the century perhaps too fast without some kind of alien intervention? There does seem to be a technological leap in the 1930s that could be unaccounted for.

RedSpider
21st February, 2010, 11:33 PM
I guess anythings possible. now of course we have astronaut Edgar mitchell saying that Aliens are real and Nasa are hiding the truth of it. Of course the usual debunkers are out in there droves saying hes lost his mind which of course is not true. The evidence is there to see. The witnesses,documents,implants,data is all there. Contact is established certainly on an individual basis (contactees)but as far as Government/Military contact of a communication nature its highly possible contact has failed due to human aggression but if true that contact has occured on a Gov/Mil level when it will be made public is another matter. As to a secret shadow government existing thats possible and probable under the circumstances of alien contact. Technology has advanced at a colossal level since the turn of the century perhaps too fast without some kind of alien intervention? There does seem to be a technological leap in the 1930s that could be unaccounted for.

Technological leaps can be explained without bringing aliens into the equation. a brilliant mind such as that of nikola tesla for example. without him, the convenient life we take for granted would not have came to be. he had ideas that even now are considered ahead of there time and he's been dead for nearly 70 years. it would literally take me forever to list his achievements. it would be far quicker for you to google him lol

Tomppp
22nd February, 2010, 08:28 AM
Aliens of POLAND

RedSpider
22nd February, 2010, 02:39 PM
Aliens of POLAND

makes no sense to me but thanks for your input lol

hoggy952
23rd February, 2010, 09:05 PM
Aliens of POLAND

are you an alien? lol

RedSpider
24th February, 2010, 01:00 PM
he may be polish, so close enough

thered
25th February, 2010, 03:22 PM
One of Jupiters moons called Europa is widely regarded as having the strongest possibility for extraterrestrial life on it.
A leading scientist has even been quoted as saying "He'd be shocked if no life existed on Europa"
[/COLOR][/LEFT]

apparantly liverpool fc are playing there tonight in some mickey mouse cup i didnt realise they were having to travel so far just to try and get a trophy

still desperate times an all that:devil:

hoggy952
25th February, 2010, 06:47 PM
apparantly liverpool fc are playing there tonight in some mickey mouse cup i didnt realise they were having to travel so far just to try and get a trophy

still desperate times an all that:devil:
liverpool should win that because the team they are playing, have only got one leg each. lol
and their goalkeeper is from the red planet called slug
who likes to slither very slowly lol.

chroma
25th February, 2010, 08:57 PM
Technological leaps can be explained without bringing aliens into the equation. a brilliant mind such as that of nikola tesla for example. without him, the convenient life we take for granted would not have came to be. he had ideas that even now are considered ahead of there time and he's been dead for nearly 70 years. it would literally take me forever to list his achievements. it would be far quicker for you to google him lol

Just dont allow him to get hold of your money lol

Tesla was well known for pissing money away faster than he made any.

RedSpider
26th February, 2010, 01:20 AM
Just dont allow him to get hold of your money lol

Tesla was well known for pissing money away faster than he made any.

the fact is that he would have been the worlds first billionaire had he not tore up the contract he had with george westinghouse.
another fact is that he didnt piss money away, rather he spent it on exactly what he said he was going to spend it on. the ones who were pissing the money away were those giving it to tesla in the first place

wooper
3rd March, 2010, 05:21 PM
The radio and tv broadcasts are omni directional, they degrade through distance, also are absorbed (the moon, palnets, asteroids).

There is not much hope of any of these signals being redable (is the right) past Neptune.

And dont confuse TV signals with narrow beam ones.

talmadge
25th March, 2010, 12:19 AM
Slowing the speed of light down to break the speed of light law is cheating, in the real world nothing is faster then the speed of light. I believe the earth is like an island we don't know what is beyond are horizon but there has to be something. I don't believe man evolved out of mud, maybe an alien visited us a long time ago and sneezed or took a mean dump and out sprung life on earth. And Also maybe we are so far behind them, they see us as ants, and only a mad man tries to carry on conversation with an ant.

hoggy952
25th March, 2010, 09:41 PM
Slowing the speed of light down to break the speed of light law is cheating, in the real world nothing is faster then the speed of light. I believe the earth is like an island we don't know what is beyond are horizon but there has to be something. I don't believe man evolved out of mud, maybe an alien visited us a long time ago and sneezed or took a mean dump and out sprung life on earth. And Also maybe we are so far behind them, they see us as ants, and only a mad man tries to carry on conversation with an ant.

ants are very intelligent lol

DrPepper1661
28th March, 2010, 02:16 AM
do you actually believe there is something out there?other than human life forms?

talmadge
28th March, 2010, 03:47 AM
YES. there has to be. Do you believe in God? Is God alive? Did God come from this planet?Is God an alien? If you Don't believe in God then you believe in evolution and,evolution goes back to mud, I sure somewhere out there, there is a planet made of mud.

hoggy952
28th March, 2010, 12:40 PM
Is our Solar System special? Probably not. Scientists think that there are planets going around many stars in our galaxy.

More than 100 planets have already been discovered around distant stars. Nearly all of these are giant gas worlds bigger than Jupiter. Most of them also orbit very close to their stars – often closer than Mercury is to our Sun.

At present, our telescopes are not powerful enough to actually see these planets. We can only tell they are there by the way they make a nearby star wobble. In a few cases, we see a dip in the brightness of a star when a large planet moves in front of it.

One day, scientists expect to discover small, Earthlike planets around other stars. ESA hopes to send future missions to scan nearby stars, looking for signs of life on Earth-like planets.

source ESA.

talmadge
29th March, 2010, 01:58 AM
I think if we ever figure out how send something faster then light. even if it is just a 1 electron at a time then could use it for communication, I imagine thats how other solar systems communicate and why we don't hear nothing OR maybe other advance aliens are not organic maybe they are robotic and time is meaningless to something that live forever.So what if takes 1000000 years to get to the nearest inhabited planet. If could take long hard look at the oldest galaxies I sure the debate would be over.