PDA

View Full Version : ~~~~ed my 7020

porter1
7th February, 2010, 11:33 PM
i have sent a 500 image to the stb ,and now doesnt load,tried null modem and ping not ok it says,is it totally wrecked,all for doin afavour for a m8 of mine :bawling:

utdman
8th February, 2010, 12:02 AM
i have sent a 500 image to the stb ,and now doesnt load,tried null modem and ping not ok it says,is it totally wrecked,all for doin afavour for a m8 of mine :bawling:

probably needs jtagging now?

kevin64
8th February, 2010, 09:32 AM
have a read of this m8 might help you out

On the DM7020, there is a loader called "first-stage" in the bootrom.

First, it will look for a answer for the serial "dreamup" protocol
Then, it will look in the nand flash for a valid 2nd stage loader. When found, the loader will be decompressed (gzip) and executed.
If no second stage loader was found, the loader will try to boot from a recovery compact flash image. I'll describe this later, but usually you don't need this.
If even this doesn't work, the loader will give up.

This means: even if you destroyed your secondstage loader, the only thing you need is a serial cable. NO MORE JTAG. :) Look below how to restore a broken 2nd stage loader.
power modes

Switched on. This is the mode when you watch tv.
Standby. When you press the power button on the remote control once, the box will enter standby mode. The lcd will go dark, LNB power will be switched off, but the box is still alive.
Deep-standby. You can enter the deep-standby mode when you press the power-button more than a few seconds (and possibly select "shutdown"). Linux will be shut down, but the frontpanel processor is still alive, and will wake the box when you press the power key again, or a recordings is about to start.
Off. When you use the power-suplly switch (or remove power at all), the box is completely switched off.

Booting...

The Second stage loader is more complex, and will be available as source soon. It can boot from JFFS2, Compact flash and tftp. It resides in the first 128k of the NAND flash rom. Normally, the loader boots linux from the jffs2 boot partition, but you can configure it to boot from anything else. It can be configured to look at different sources depending on if you press a frontpanel button. It has a fallback mechanism to boot from flash when no other source (like tftp) is available.
Flash Images

... aren't that easy anymore. Because NAND flash can contain bad sectors, everything is getting a bit more complex. We introduced a special format called "nfi", which contains a header (and possibly a crc) and 3 different partitions (2nd stage, boot, root). You can flash this either with the bootloader directly (using a special HTTP client or using a browser), or using a special version of Dreamup. The good news are that you can flash even without a serial cable, you just have to interrupt the boot process by pressing a frontpanel key.
If you don't have network (what?!?), or trashed your second stage loader, you can flash using only a serial cable.
Flashing a new image

To flash a new image, you can use the second stage loader. It must be present, look below on how to restore it if it's broken.

The following steps assume you have a DHCP server. If you don't have one, you have to setup an IP address in the bootloader's serial setup. Oh, and it assumes you have a second-stage loader newer than Version 20. The Second-stage version is displayed when you poweron the box, in the LCD. look for "BOOT #22" (which is version 22). If it says "CF FOUND" instead, remove the compact flash card to see the version message. If it doesn't say anything, it's probably an even older version.

Power down the Dreambox, either using "shutdown" (to enter the deep-standby mode) or by using the power-switch. Standby is not enough!
Press and hold the lower frontpanel button.
Switch on the dreambox, either by using the powerswitch or, in deep-standby mode, press the power button. Still, hold the lower button.
A text "*** STOP ***" should appear. If something like "/flash".. appears, you didn't hold the right button.
Now you can release the button. The bootloader entered the "waiting" mode.
Above the "*** STOP ***" text, there should appear an IP-address (four decimal values with a dot in between). If there appears the string "dhcp" instead, the box still searches for a DHCP server. Wait a bit. If it doesn't change, something doesn't work with the DHCP server. Check wether network cable is plugged in etc. If it just doesn't work, set an IP using the serial terminal)
Now, open a browser on your PC. enter in the address line "http://ip/" (where ip must be replaced with the value in the LCD).
on the bottom of the page, there's a link called "firmware upgrade". Click it.
On the next page, you can select the flash image you want to flash. be sure that it has the ".nfi" extension. You can't flash other images (like .img)!
Click on "FLASH!" and wait. It might take some time to upload and flash the image.
Switch the box off again, and on again. The new image should be flashed and working.

Different Boot sources

The Secondstage loader has the following boot sources: sourceargumentprefix for autoexec.bat flashpath into the first boot partition, usually starting with a /. example: "/autoexec.bat" for "/boot/autoexec.bat"./flash/ cfpath into the first FAT[12|16|32] partition on the compact flash card/cf/ nonenot used. used to temporary disable boot sources- stopnot used. Used to enter the bootloader, for example for using the bootloader's web interface- tftp[server:][bootfile] - server and bootfile will be taken from dhcp when not available (but can be overridden)./tftp/
Prerun

Prerun means that "/cf/autorun.bat" (sic!) will be executed before anything else. This can be useful if you, for example, want to put a flash upgrade app onto a CF card for upgrading a firmware without any other interaction.
Try Default Boot Sources

..just means that, when everything else failed, "/flash/zImage.elf" will be tried again. This is useful when you messed with your autoexec.bat...
Primary/secondary/Alternate boot sources

The "Primary bootsource" is the tried first (exception is "prerun", which comes even before). If this fails, the "secondary boot source" will be tried. (This can be useful to mimic the dbox2's boot behaviour: first try tftp, then flash. The reason for not defaulting to this is that the network init, including auto negotiation and DHCP timeouting takes several seconds.). The alternate boot sources can be enabled by pressing a key on bootup, either the "up" or the "down" key. "up" is alternative boot source 1, "down" the alternative source 2.
"Powerstate after AC loss"

Here you can setup what happens when you powered on the box with the hard-switch (or inserting AC power again). "as before", the most useful function, doesn't work yet. You can choose between "always on" and "always off".

Manic01
8th February, 2010, 09:36 AM
Have you tried dreamup?

porter1
8th February, 2010, 01:14 PM
thanks for the help here,using dream up

porter1
8th February, 2010, 01:16 PM
when i power up i only get what looks like a pause sign,holding the power button doesnt give me any ip addy,im just goin through all your advice,hpe there is life left in it

Manic01
8th February, 2010, 01:16 PM
Dreamup working ok?

porter1
8th February, 2010, 01:26 PM
ye dream up gets the first acknowledgement,but must fail on second

porter1
8th February, 2010, 01:46 PM
ill get back on this later,goin back to work ,help appreciated

porter1
8th February, 2010, 04:22 PM
cant work out how i would try and fix the seconstage bootloader

Manic01
8th February, 2010, 04:28 PM
Reread post 3, that should help.

porter1
8th February, 2010, 04:51 PM
ye ive read but cant get me head round it

porter1
8th February, 2010, 05:19 PM
ive just noticed when i leave it on for a while i get space invaders,i have just seen that mentioned in a thread ,thought it was on here but cant find it

kevin64
8th February, 2010, 07:48 PM
If you do not see the space invader screen on the LCD screen after about 10 minutes - it means your 1st stage loader is screwed.

porter1
8th February, 2010, 08:26 PM
the space invaders stays on all the time kev

kevin64
8th February, 2010, 08:47 PM
well that mean the 1stage boot is ok its your second you need to repair if so use this way make shore you use NFI file use this one https://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/downloadcenter#DM7020 and follow the setup below rember to have youe cat5 cable in and the dreambox online or use no need to be online if useing null moden cable and dreamup rember not to power the dm until it asks Power down the Dreambox, either using "shutdown" (to enter the deep-standby mode) or by using the power-switch. Standby is not enough!
Press and hold the lower frontpanel button.
Switch on the dreambox, either by using the powerswitch or, in deep-standby mode, press the power button. Still, hold the lower button.
A text "*** STOP ***" should appear. If something like "/flash".. appears, you didn't hold the right button.
Now you can release the button. The bootloader entered the "waiting" mode.
Above the "*** STOP ***" text, there should appear an IP-address (four decimal values with a dot in between). If there appears the string "dhcp" instead, the box still searches for a DHCP server. Wait a bit. If it doesn't change, something doesn't work with the DHCP server. Check wether network cable is plugged in etc. If it just doesn't work, set an IP using the serial terminal)
Now, open a browser on your PC. enter in the address line "http://ip/" (where ip must be replaced with the value in the LCD).
on the bottom of the page, there's a link called "firmware upgrade". Click it.
On the next page, you can select the flash image you want to flash. be sure that it has the ".nfi" extension. You can't flash other images (like .img)!
Click on "FLASH!" and wait. It might take some time to upload and flash the image.
Switch the box off again, and on again. The new image should be flashed and working.

porter1
8th February, 2010, 10:09 PM
this is how i put images on it before it happened but now when you hold the power button no ip appears only what looks like a pause sign

porter1
9th February, 2010, 06:04 PM
any more ideas,thanks

porter1
10th February, 2010, 08:03 PM
well how do i jtag this model