PDA

View Full Version : Irish TV channels

Gratis
9th February, 2010, 05:47 PM
I read a while ago that RTE were going to broadcast a TV channel on Freesat.There were going to be 3 channels going on air.Is this imminent?Thanks

Mooley
9th February, 2010, 06:19 PM
Haven't heard anything about that as far as I'm aware they broadcast under BSkyB umbrella so would be surprised but not impossible.

notts_alan
12th February, 2010, 01:43 PM
I have found rte 1+2 have been open now for a week at least , gaelic footie at weekends...hope it stays open

SuperSat
14th February, 2010, 12:09 PM
I have found rte 1+2 have been open now for a week at least , gaelic footie at weekends...hope it stays open

Can you tell me the frequency???

cactikid
14th February, 2010, 12:20 PM
i was told not on freesat but on terrestrial it would be nice if i was wrong lol

SuperSat
14th February, 2010, 12:36 PM
i was told not on freesat but on terrestrial it would be nice if i was wrong lol

it would be :cheers:

daithi
14th February, 2010, 09:49 PM
theres a crowd selling freesat setups now for a once off payment heres there site just saw it on the galway advertiser

http://www.tv4free.ie/

billy2
14th February, 2010, 10:42 PM
can also be picked up using a Sagem IDT81-SD box. the box is able to handle mpeg4 and this is what rte is using at this time,Currys currently selling the sagem picnic box for 19.99 GBP

patkins
26th February, 2010, 12:42 PM
Hi Gratis. RTE Irish national broadcaster were to begin a new service that was to be launched on St. Patrick`s Day 2009 but because of the recession it has been delayed. It is still being worked on and when ready(soon) will be available through a set-top box for(im told) a once off payment for the box. The programmes will include news,current affairs,GAA matches and other home produced programmes from RTE and the Irish offshoot TG4. BEcause RTE only pay territorial rights on there imported soaps/movies they are prevented from showing these free to air. If you look up RTE.ie under the heading `aBOUT rte` YOU WILL FIND OUT MORE INFO. Good luck.

patkins
26th February, 2010, 12:52 PM

RTE Are testing for digital set-up at the moment and this may just be a temporary glitch.

mulvihc
26th February, 2010, 04:58 PM
I have been getting the Irish package off and on on my Sony Bravia which is enabled for Irish Digital. I am getting a super signal on avery old and poorly directed antennae.

patkins
26th February, 2010, 09:11 PM
theres a crowd selling freesat setups now for a once off payment heres there site just saw it on the galway advertiser

http://www.tv4free.ie/

Hi Daithi,thank you for the site address. Having read the FAQ`s I get the impression that they will be transmitting the RTE etc. signals in analogue. As RTE are to cease this signal at the end of 2012(see RTE.ie-About RTE) I doubt if the tv4free service would be guaranteed beyond this.RTE will probably launch their set-top box service when the switch over comes to sew up their market, I could be wrong. With the exception of RTE 1and2 TG4 and TV3, all the rest are currently FTA.

mtv1
28th February, 2010, 12:27 PM
Hi boys and girls :D does anyone know the freq of the Irish chanels me da wants to see if they are free view as he is a pensioner and wants to quit his sly suscription lol although he has 3 dodgy boxes also :)

cactikid
28th February, 2010, 01:35 PM
not just say factory reset and auto scan and emu to on.if they are still open?

patkins
28th February, 2010, 08:26 PM
Hi boys and girls :D does anyone know the freq of the Irish chanels me da wants to see if they are free view as he is a pensioner and wants to quit his sly suscription lol although he has 3 dodgy boxes also :)

The freq. is 10744 H 22000 5/6. Good luck.

mtv1
28th February, 2010, 08:29 PM
The freq. is 10744 H 22000 5/6. Good luck.

thanks pat m8 your tops :)

mtv1
28th February, 2010, 09:45 PM
ok scanned got channels in but $$ signs on thought they were freeview :(

Mooley
2nd March, 2010, 12:01 AM
As I said they are under the BSB umbrella you will need to pay for them. Even in Ireland there is no RTE 1, 2, TG4 or TV3 being broadcast FTA on satellite and you have to pay sky for them. They are testing for DTT (freeview) which you will only be able to get in Ireland with normal aerial and freeview MPEG4 box when it is launched not UK. How someone received them free and unscrambled in UK I have no idea maybe it was a promo.

patkins
2nd March, 2010, 01:31 PM
As I said they are under the BSB umbrella you will need to pay for them. Even in Ireland there is no RTE 1, 2, TG4 or TV3 being broadcast FTA on satellite and you have to pay sky for them. They are testing for DTT (freeview) which you will only be able to get in Ireland with normal aerial and freeview MPEG4 box when it is launched not UK. How someone received them free and unscrambled in UK I have no idea maybe it was a promo.

As I said earlier in the thread RTE are digital testing so it is possible that they have opened(temporarily) these channels RTE1&2. The person who said he had them did not claim to have TV3 which is not RTE`s but UTV`S.

Mooley
2nd March, 2010, 03:00 PM
Sorry I was referring to the irish channels broadcast on sat by sky when I mentioned TV3. I don't see why, while they are testing DTT in Ireland, they would knock off NDS for these channels on satellite. Wouldn't really make sense as one's sat and one's Terrestrial.

daithi
2nd March, 2010, 07:28 PM

he well up on the techie stuff for his age :hello:

cactikid
2nd March, 2010, 10:01 PM
i think i heard somewhere about 400 new channels coming to the astra sat opposing the freesat corp.i believe rte was mentioned,in a months time.

Mooley
3rd March, 2010, 02:03 AM
That sounds excellent cacti! Hope your well mate? Where'd you here that?

cactikid
3rd March, 2010, 09:18 AM
as i said somewhere and i also mentioned it to zintek where i was getting my sky+hd box updated as i was having freezing and glitching problems,they heard of it also,hope it comes to something as tv3 is only a testcard signal i see lol,will keep eye open again to find it.might have been here on dk.

patkins
3rd March, 2010, 01:46 PM
he well up on the techie stuff for his age :hello:

Now lishen here shonny, just becaush I`m bordering on 60 doeshent mean I can`t.....er sorry what was the question again?

daithi
3rd March, 2010, 05:29 PM
Now lishen here shonny, just becaush I`m bordering on 60 doeshent mean I can`t.....er sorry what was the question again?

are ya MTV1 dad mate lol lol

patkins
3rd March, 2010, 10:15 PM
That sounds excellent cacti! Hope your well mate? Where'd you here that?

GMB45 had a post about this recently, I think in the News and current affairs section.

patkins
3rd March, 2010, 10:18 PM
are ya MTV1 dad mate lol lol

OOPS, sorry Daithi. I just can`t turn down a chance to at sarcasm. My apologies to your good self ,to mtv1 and also, and especially to mtv1`s dad.

cactikid
3rd March, 2010, 10:46 PM
found out what i saw.
http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f11/new-free-satellite-service-uk-95773/

burkeyb01
4th March, 2010, 12:29 AM
the rte switch over is 1/1/2012 ok

Mooley
4th March, 2010, 03:08 AM
That date is in regard to DTT being broadcast freely in each country in europe nothing to do with this.

patkins
5th March, 2010, 07:42 PM
Please note: If you log on to TVneto.com.-Free worldwide TV on your pc you will find RTE 1. As I report this the 6.01 evening news is on. If you can tolerate the ad screen beside the tv .

daithi
15th March, 2010, 11:24 PM
skywonder are doin a high definition sat box which picks up the irish channels

Metabox Combo Terrestial and Satellite HD CXCI Satellite Receiver?::?Satellite Receivers?::?Skywonder Ltd (http://www.skywonder.co.uk/product.php?productid=1159&cat=16&page=1)

patkins
15th March, 2010, 11:51 PM
Looks like a good box @ that price. I have 4 boxes at present and would hardly justify more expense for the RTE/TG4/TV3 extras. Thanks anyhow Daithi.

glic83
16th March, 2010, 12:01 AM
dont technomate also do a hd sat box that has a terrestial tunner

patkins
16th March, 2010, 12:29 PM
dont technomate also do a hd sat box that has a terrestial tunner
If you look at their website you will see they do a wide range of HD receivers but if you are refering to Daithi`s post above you may not be able to get RTE andTV3 on any of them, as I imagine the above mentioned receiver has inbuilt data to receive these channels, otherwise all receivers would receive the channels and there would be no need to buy the above.

Dolphin 6
28th April, 2010, 12:30 AM
Hi Guys, only coming in on this towards the end.

I have an "Edision Argus 2 in 1 ip HD" box which is set-up to take a feed from my Sat dish and also from a small UHF digital aerial. This gives me all the Freesat channels (including BBC1 HD & ITV HD) as well as RTE1, RTE2, TG4, RTE News 24hr and at the moment TV3 test card.
The reception on the DTT channels are perfect, digital quality. The small aerial can be mounted anywhere - I even tried it out facing the wrong way, upside down and in the most hidden place in the house I could find and still got great reception (this will depend on your location but on the East coast of Ireland there is great coverage).
You can also connect an external HD via a USB slot and turn the box into a PVR with "Pause Live TV" and "Recording" functions.

D

cactikid
28th April, 2010, 12:40 AM
i found i could use the dtt tv without the aerial but need it in the sat box with dtt tuner

cactikid
2nd May, 2010, 09:45 AM
strange things happening now with signal,gone off no tv or radio channels,then on /off.speaking to a mate on saturday and was told now streaming on mpeg5,if they stick with that box and tv ~~~~ed again lol.

freck
2nd May, 2010, 06:24 PM
Cheap terrestrial mpeg 4 box here (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Digital-Set-Top-Box-MPEG4-Receiver-RTE1-2-TV3-TG4-/200456343027?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item2eac210df3),handy for a second room.
Freck