PDA

View Full Version : Sat Dreambox v Cable Eurovox

k8rew
16th October, 2008, 07:36 PM
I this is my first post so I hope I make sense!!!

I already have a Sky HD box installed but I would like to access more channels including the footie and I am confused as to get a Dreambox for my sky or a Eurovox and get cable fitted (Virgin area)

Can I just plug in a Dreambox into my Sky feed and away I go or is it very complexed?

Is it easier to go with the cable option?

Hope you can help and I hope I made a bit of sense too

Cheers in advance guys:five:

Devilfish
16th October, 2008, 09:42 PM
The satellite that sky uses is 99% only sky channels. The sky hd receivers is the best you will get for UK sky.

If you want to get a dreambox for the european footy, you'll need to get another dish or a motorised dish. UK sky is on 28.2e, the other main satellites are 1w, 7w, 13e, 16e, 19.2e. You can also use your dreambox for the uk channels, just insert your card and that should work ok (maybe with the addition of NewCS emu).

Cable is much simpler than euro satellite. If you get a eurovox for cable, it's basically plug and play whereas satellite takes a lot of work.

k8rew
16th October, 2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks Devilfish, I will be going for cable then!!

Is the Eurovox the best option or can you or other members recommend any others?

All the talk of downloading stuff is scaring the life out of me, is it quite easy when you get going?

cgscott
16th October, 2008, 10:58 PM
Thanks Devilfish, I will be going for cable then!!

Is the Eurovox the best option or can you or other members recommend any others?

All the talk of downloading stuff is scaring the life out of me, is it quite easy when you get going?

If all you want is the channels get the dm500c.

It can record to pc as well as play from the pc.

Plus its the cheapest.

Regards

Chris

Devilfish
17th October, 2008, 03:21 AM
Eurovox is very straight forward, plug and play. You will probably need to update the firmware when you get it though, so it will need to be connected to your PC via a null modem cable (?2 on ebay). You can get ones with hdds so that you can record/pause tv etc.

The dreambox is a more detailed box and if you're not great with PCs then the Eurovox is probably better.

magic_moments
8th December, 2008, 02:38 AM
Devilfish can you clarify please. If I instal a sat dish and quad LNB and point it to the Astra then I would receive the full sky tv range on a Dreambox ? and if it was motorised I could in effect pick up other sats? please claify m8 as my parents have moved into non cable area and really miss their telly.

Moley
8th December, 2008, 02:46 AM
Dont bother with EuroVox pal, Devil Fish is right, they are basically just plug and play, but they are also deffinately due to expire! they are in basic terms SHIT! manufactured NAGRA1 chipset in EuroVox, bin it in 2009! dont waste your money my friend :-)

Moley
8th December, 2008, 02:52 AM
Magic Moments, sorry mate, you can buy a sat dish and point it at 28.2, but you wont be getting FREE Sky UK, not currently, you can cardshare sky uk but not view it via emu alone like a cable box, sky uk uses NDS3 encryption that updates (or rolls) the keys every 4 seconds! you cant view that via emu alone as far as i know, someone my know more, but i dont think you can mate.

You can point your dish at 13.0E and scan Hotbird, on that sat you will find the ART Sports channels, Sky Italia and other sports channels which is usually what people are after, they can with a little or depending on which channels, alot of know how, be decrypted! tho like Devil Fish did say, Sat is much more complex to get the end result you probably want, but if you learn a little then its just a means to an end and its all possible, but NOT SKY UK @ 28.2E mate!

Hope this helps!

magic_moments
8th December, 2008, 03:11 AM
excellent answer and thanks for the speedy response. i have another question... the sky offer "pay now watch forever" @ 75quid gives option to cancel withing 4 months. You keep the equipment. Can one simply connect a Freesat Humax PVR and upgrade the LNB to a Quad and get all the free to air & freesat channels? are they sent from the Astra (sky) 28.2e ? thanks again. PS... does anyone know how SKY can say yes to cancelling the contract then go on to say the box must be connected to a telephone line for 12 months!!!!!!!!!! ?

Moley
8th December, 2008, 04:57 AM
I'll do my best to help you my friend, right here goes....

You dont need need to have your sky equipment connected via phone line like they claim, screw them, they are full of shit! tho obviously for PPV and such like you would need it connected else they couldn't bill you if your doing things all legal like :-) lol..... <cough>

The FTA (Free To Air) will be viewable, ie: no encryption = viewable, shouldn't be a problem at all mate.

Yes, the FreeSat are (to the best of my knowledge unless someone wishes to correct me) sent from 28.2E Eurobird (or the ASTRA sats)

If i can help further mate, just ask, i'll do my best :-)

magic_moments
8th December, 2008, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the info - I realise i have kinda moved into the freesat area now and maybe the mods will move this post but I have one last question..
When the 4mnths is up and I have ended the SKY contract will I simply receive the products known as Freesat from Sky AND Freeview(free to air). If I change the LNB to a Quad LNB will it pick up Freesat AND Freesat from Sky AND Freeview. Hope you understand what i mean as I see the products and channel content are different in advertising literature.

Thanks.

.: JaCkPoT :.
8th December, 2008, 11:56 AM
Freeview is done by terrestrial antena..freesat is the selection of channels owned by `ITV and BBC` that are broadcasted free to air so we dont need to pay to watch it....

magic_moments
8th December, 2008, 12:00 PM
Yeh I know that, but the available listings are different for Freesat from Sky and Freesat. I was meaning... is it the LNB or the box that decides which one you get? more importantly.... can you get both for maximum channel choice?

.: JaCkPoT :.
8th December, 2008, 12:34 PM
its the box...

magic_moments
8th December, 2008, 12:44 PM
what would your best Tip be then to get maximum freesat channels once the sky 4 month contract ended? I am tempted to then go for the Freesat with free Setanta for 9mnths deal. would that box simply replace the sky box on a plug n play basis? Could i run the 2 boxes on a splitter?