PDA

View Full Version : peugeot partner not charging at idle

weltune
11th February, 2010, 04:18 PM
I have got a peugeot partner year 2005 with 1.9 non turbo diesel engine, Van came in with a new alternator from another workshop, the van has no charging , air con blower not working & RPM not working during idle, the story from the owner is that it has the same problem before the new alternator was installed, checked at the alternator connector show that it has no ignition supply during idle, suspect the BSI problem so bought a new BSI , installed it , configure with peugeot planet & learned keys, all configuration OK except the automatic configuration , it has error connection failure. The van now can start with the same no charging at idle problem, could it be that the new BSI is new & it need to be flash by the peugeot planet during automatic configuration? can someone advise me what to do next, thks in advance

Meat-Head
11th February, 2010, 07:41 PM
if the alternator has a single THIN wire, then in therory you should get 11 volts down it with ignition on, alternator unplugged.

Just to confir (nice word) that it's not something daft like some dik has put the belt on wrong, let engine idle with everything on for 10 mins (voltage dropps across batt) then rev it to 2500 rpm for 3 mins and see if belt squeals like a pig, then stop engine, drop a body part finger, hand willy etc on the alternater pully and see it if burns you, if it does belt is too loose dude

if the alternator has a single wire and above fails then stuff a 2.2 watt bulb in series with an ignition feed (reverse lights) to the thin wire of alternator take the customers ?? and run.

are you a dealer or independant?

givusaclue
12th February, 2010, 12:47 AM
check all your fuses, i think you've got a 5amp one blown or missing if you've been swapping them around trying to fix the fault

weltune
12th February, 2010, 12:54 AM
i am not a dealer, just a independant workshop, the alternator will charge during driving & the air con blower will comes in suddenly when the charging light at the meter goes off during driving at about 2000RPM.

givusaclue
12th February, 2010, 01:10 AM
if the battery light is on all the time it isn't charging at that time, if the blower fan cuts in when the lamp goes out assuming the switch is in the on position it then is charging as the blower fan doesn't normally work unless charging, check wiring for damage on alt. circuit

weltune
12th February, 2010, 06:55 AM
problem solved with a new CKP sensor, thks everyone who help & try to help

alexs307
12th February, 2010, 12:12 PM
just for curiosity, was the car coming out of the ECONOMY MODE ACTIVE even with the engine running?

weltune
12th February, 2010, 02:53 PM
this is a partner diesel van without the economy mode

Meat-Head
12th February, 2010, 03:26 PM
problem solved with a new CKP sensor, thks everyone who help & try to help

cool, how the hell did you find that?

alexs307
12th February, 2010, 06:34 PM
this is a partner diesel van without the economy mode

I believe that your problem was that engine ECU wasn't able to "see" that engine was running. Am I wrong? By changing the CKP sensor that was faulty, engine ECU could read the RPM's again and "see" the engine working. By sending information to BSI regarding the engine working, each other functions were enabled again, including charging system function.

It is possible that your car may not have a larger display to show the Economy mode active feature, instead showing most probably just the clock, but if your car is MUX ( and in 2005 I am sure it was ), I am positive that Economy mode active is enabled after a while. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks
Alex

weltune
12th February, 2010, 06:59 PM
yes i think that should be the problem, as i do not know what to do next,so i try the CKP sensor since the RPM is not working i am lucky that it solve the problem, thks again