PDA

View Full Version : Which wireless(DSL) router for DD-WRT(Wanting an easy one)

waqasahmed
14th February, 2010, 01:01 AM
Well, Im wanting another wireless router and bridge it to my other one. I had a look at gaming adaptors and wireless bridges made by the likes of linksys etc... however all these only have 1 ethernet port or none at all(and are quite expensive!). Im wanting something with more than 1 ethernet port, so Im thinking of getting a wireless router and installing DD-WRT on it in order to bridge it to my Belkin N150 router.

Im not too sure what to get though. Id rather go for an easy one to modify with the firmware lol.

Oh and I know I havent been here for quite some time, but I have been on other forums(and helping) recently. These forums have a networking section

snagga
14th February, 2010, 01:23 AM
Linksys Cisco WRT54GL Wireless-G Broadband Router. This is the best one if you're on a tight budget, and it works good with DD-WRT firmware too.

Also got 4 ethernet ports..............

waqasahmed
14th February, 2010, 01:36 AM
After doing a bit of research, a lot of people are recommending that one(and a few bufallo's) Ill have to look in to the pricing. I also like the fact that you can jtag the routers back to life if you brick them

waqasahmed
14th February, 2010, 01:41 AM
Its still quite expensive at ?45 lol. But I suppose its better than having home plugs everywhere

snagga
14th February, 2010, 01:49 AM
Buffalo and Asus ones can be more expensive than the Linksys, if you don't shop around. I sold a few Linksys ones on eBay for ?35, used still in excellent condition with original box.

Buffalo routers not so easy to flash with DD-WRT firmware, as the router is flash protected, but there is always a way.

***** Linksys routers are so easy to work with ******

waqasahmed
14th February, 2010, 02:12 AM
Ive now bought a "WRT54G" router instead of an "WRT54GL" as it was simply cheaper lol. Hopefully, Ill have time to experiment. Its cheap as a repeater, but not that cheap for a bridge lol

snagga
14th February, 2010, 02:18 AM
Ive now bought a "WRT54G" router instead of an "WRT54GL" as it was simply cheaper lol. Hopefully, Ill have time to experiment. Its cheap as a repeater, but not that cheap for a bridge lol

Good luck with your project.........

waqasahmed
15th February, 2010, 10:27 PM
Ive bought the item(version 2) Whilst doing some googling today, I found other firmwares available. I eventually found a debate about DDWRT and tomato. Some people prefer one or the other. Im going to need my router to do things really
1. Act as a bridge(maybe even a repeater)-so that I can connect my Openmedia to the network to FTP things over and to use telnet from my netbook
2. Hook up a Skype style phone up to it, to take advantage of VOIP

waqasahmed
16th February, 2010, 07:52 PM
Hopefully, Ill be able to configure this one and then Ill wait a while until custom firmware is available for the WRT300N, seeing as though the WRT300N only costs ?40 for a new one, compared to ?30 for a used WRT54G and as you can guess, the first router mentioned is an "N band" router, though be it in draft

I may however use a WRT300N over my Belkin N router, and I may get another one and install OpenWRT on them, as opposed to DDWRT

EDIT:After seeing here:http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

It shows that you have to donate a router to the HQ in Germany, which you may not get back lol

sta
28th June, 2010, 04:36 PM
Tomato is rather old now and the supported platforms are few. DD-WRT is increasingly commercial but certainly the most accessible to new users. OpenWRT is far from perfect (especially through lack of documentation, their wiki has been a real mess the last 18 months or so) but has a helpful community on forums and IRC. Using OpenWRT's menuconfig you can strip out all the unused parts of the firmware, so you can get a lot of performance out of old hardware.

In summary: DD-WRT for ease of use, or invest time and curses into OpenWRT for a useful toolbox of networking tricks.

waqasahmed
28th June, 2010, 04:50 PM
I chose DD WRT in the end, mainly because of the interface :D Ive now got a DIR-615, and Im going to sell my Linksys off

Ill probably be purchasing a belkin(as they seem to be cheaper than buffalos), just to see how its done on a Belkin, and then sell the Belkin off as well

If Buffalo's are harder still, then Ill probably purchase a Buffalo; flash it, and then sell it off :D

Ill also be connecting my DIR-615 to my modem now(and now not using it as a bridge) We were supplied with an ADSL modem from O2, but when we need to activate, Ill be using a third party unlocked BT Voyager 210, and using a point to point connection to connect the modem to the router