PDA

View Full Version : Golf 6 1.6 TDI EGR OFF DPF ON - HELP

apsol
15th January, 2022, 02:01 AM
4 years ago I took my car to a garage to remap and they did stage 1 which is egr off but keep dpf. Sometime later I found out that you shouldn't disable the egr and keep the dpf because it needs it to do the regenerations, some even said that it will block the dpf very quickly.

Truth is the dpf is still working fine but I noticed that it takes much longer to finish the regen and more recently let's say 2 years, during the regen sometimes when I'm coasting and then accelerate I get turbo lag and then it wakes up and makes white smoke and cleans.

My question is why the egr is needed if it is 100% closed during the dpf regen ? Am I missing something ?

Today I was checking for exhaust smell from behind the engine I suspect the egr but I guess since the egr is disabled it doesn't show any error code.

Also the exhaust temperature sensors is playing funny, I arrived from work and let the car rest like 15 minutes, I go check the temperatures the first and 2nd sensor are showing 20ºc.

Could this be the problem ? No error codes also maybe because of egr off.

Please help.

https://i.postimg.cc/NMd6PwVk/IMG-20220114-183652.jpg (https://postimg.cc/47hHmjXY)

bobolin4o
15th January, 2022, 08:13 AM
In most cases is true, that regeneration takes more time when the EGR not works.
White smoke can't be because of this...
About EGT 1... there may have two answers.
1. I don't remember how many sensors there are. If there is not EGT 1 - the value is normal.
2. Probably your tuner make him to show 20 degrees... it is the sensor at the turbo and he get 1000 degrees very quick with aggressive tuning.
If i remember well - above 820 degrees at turbo, the ECU cuts fuel for safety.

Read the file and i will check what have been done.

Aladinnu
15th January, 2022, 08:19 AM
Hello, ur problem is not the remap. if remap was a problem dpf wouldn t survive 4 years. my advice is to remove injectors and send them tobe checked. they usualy are Siemens on 1.6 tdi and i repaired a lot . take my advice. i work in a workshop. 90% of problems on 1.6tdi are bad injectors. i had exactly same problem on at least 5 cars, same engine.

apsol
15th January, 2022, 02:46 PM
In most cases is true, that regeneration takes more time when the EGR not works.
White smoke can't be because of this...
About EGT 1... there may have two answers.
1. I don't remember how many sensors there are. If there is not EGT 1 - the value is normal.
2. Probably your tuner make him to show 20 degrees... it is the sensor at the turbo and he get 1000 degrees very quick with aggressive tuning.
If i remember well - above 820 degrees at turbo, the ECU cuts fuel for safety.

Read the file and i will check what have been done.

Can you explain why is the EGR needed if it is 100% closed anyways during the process ? I've got another tdi where I followed the dpf regen with vag dpf and the egr is closed during the process, I've also watched some 1.6 tdi's on yt and they also have the egr closed.

About the sensors, If I'm not mistaken I think it's 4 sensors, one on the turbo as you said, lambda probe on top of dpf, one pre-dpf and post-dpf.

Why would the tuner do that ? It could damage the turbo and dpf that way right ? It doesn't let track the temperature correctly.

Anyways, I will make a log with the sensors again and will post here, also will unplug each sensor one at a time to see if it triggers an error code to see if the remap didn't hide those trouble codes.

I can't show the file because I'm totally ignorant to that and don't have the equipment to do it, sorry. :)

Hello, ur problem is not the remap. if remap was a problem dpf wouldn t survive 4 years. my advice is to remove injectors and send them tobe checked. they usualy are Siemens on 1.6 tdi and i repaired a lot . take my advice. i work in a workshop. 90% of problems on 1.6tdi are bad injectors. i had exactly same problem on at least 5 cars, same engine.

I forgot to say that on cold start, if I press the accelerator the iddle wobbles for like 3 seconds and stabilizes, but If I don't do anything and let it idle it's fine. Do you think that could be also to bad injectors ?

I noticed this after remap and talked to the garage but they always said it was normal to not worry because it was cold that's why it did that. I never liked that answer but they kinda told me to f** off If I don't believe them and I feel horrible until this day for letting it be and didn't ask for refund and putting back the car to original. Now I see that sometime in the near future and I will have to pay that price.

Thank you for your answers.

Aladinnu
16th January, 2022, 11:50 AM
yes , bad injectors , bad glowplugs. don t bother checking the remap. if remap was bad DPF wouldn t survive for that long. 4 years in ur case. Simple explanation for u is when EGR is off, engine will get to normal operating temparature a liitle later .For example with egr on u would get to 90 deg Celsius in 10 min. with Egr off u wold get in 12-13 min. If u drive the car on short trips it would be harder to make a dpf regen because it only happens when engine has at least 75 deg Celsius on coolant. but the dpf still does regen. dont worry. Problem is 100% on injectors.

apsol
17th January, 2022, 08:41 PM
yes , bad injectors , bad glowplugs. don t bother checking the remap. if remap was bad DPF wouldn t survive for that long. 4 years in ur case. Simple explanation for u is when EGR is off, engine will get to normal operating temparature a liitle later .For example with egr on u would get to 90 deg Celsius in 10 min. with Egr off u wold get in 12-13 min. If u drive the car on short trips it would be harder to make a dpf regen because it only happens when engine has at least 75 deg Celsius on coolant. but the dpf still does regen. dont worry. Problem is 100% on injectors.

Hi again, I did some logs and the injector 1 on cold start is the worst one, it had spike of 3.13mg/str probably when I pressed the acelerator, at 840rpm, if I don't touch the pedal and let it idle it's more or less fine, stays on 0.3-0.6mg/str.

At working temperature, injector 1 (0.4-0.5mg), injector 2 (0.07mg), injector 3 (-0.1mg), injector 4 (-0.4-0.5mg)

​What do you think of this values ?