PDA

View Full Version : Bosch MEDG17 Ford Ecoboost ECU Bricked after OBD write - advice ?

Mecatronics
13th March, 2022, 11:30 AM
Hello guys,

Just want to have your advice on this :
could I simply write an ORI file on the Micro of a MEDG17 that has been bricked with third party software (car had Cobb Accessport tune on it and I didn't know it) ?
Or is there a risk of more damaging the ECU ?

Full story in chronological order :

1/ I read a Ford Mustang Ecoboost 2.3L with Bosch MEDG17 using Autotuner (OBD / VR read).
2/ I tried to write a e85 file from a trusted partner and Autotuner responded with "SA Request failed : 27 7F Operation ended with an error" message
3/ I discovered that the Mustang was not stock, and had a Cobb Accessport map in it.
4/ On the advice of my partner and agreement of the client, I've uninstall the Cobb Accessport (which is supposed to put the car back to stock specs)
5/ After unistall done, I tried to write the e85 file from my tuner (the read was VR so file went from AutoTuner servers directly)
6/ wrting of e85 file with AT was done successfully (no error message)
7/ then the car did not start at all
8/ no ECU recognized by the diag tool
9/ I decide to try and put the car back to ORI with Autotuner Original Server File but this time when I've done the ID (I always do ID before any Read/Write) I had the following :
Could not read VIN !
Could not read SW info !
Could not read HW info !
Could not read ID info !
Could not read ID info !

10/ The sign of a bricked ECU confirmed, I decided to take the ECU by Bench direclty
11/ by bench the Autotuner could communicate with the ECU (I have a full backup but it slave as the AT tools is slave)

12/ I have access to a Dimsport Trasdata Master tool that I borowed this morning to do a full read of this bricked ECUs.
Please find in attachment in contains :
- the full ECU read (.dim file)
- the Micro read (.mpc)
- the EEPROM read (.e2p)
- the "tuning file" read (.dtf) => this is the reading of the calibration area in Dimsport tool (don't know how you call it in KTAG)

13/ I saw that on the Dimsport server there is a ORI file for this HW / SWupg.

For reminder of the Trasdata read :
mode : BENCH MODE
Plugin : [1222] Bosch MEDG17.0 Ford
Micro : TC1797
eeprom : TC1797
HW FR3A-12B684-EA
SW upg FR3A-14C204-DZD

Remarks : I really think the problem is linked from the Cobb Accessport in a way or another because 2 days ago I've done the same Mustang 2.3 ecoboost for e85 tune via OBD VR + OBD write without any problem.

What's your thought on this dear community ?
Best regards,