PDA

View Full Version : ANYONE USE CHIP QUIK ?

u.s
19th February, 2010, 01:28 PM
Hi Guys,

wasn't sure which section to put this in but though it helps with removel of chips for airbag/ecu/tacho chip so stuck it here.

Anyway, i don't have a desolder station (yet), to remove an 8 pin SOIC i flood the legs with solder, put iron on one side and lift the chip, then repeat for the other side.

I come across the following website and was wondering if anyone has tried this product,
Chip Quik SMD1 Product Sheet (http://www.chipquikinc.com/store/prod_smd1.htm)

z786
19th February, 2010, 05:05 PM
iv not tried it but i knw people who have and they think its very good, mayb PremierD will hav better answer 4 u
(go on youtube, some videos there of it)

19th February, 2010, 05:06 PM
hi everybody, i think you all rock!!

rock on!!

PremierD
19th February, 2010, 05:17 PM
hi everybody, i think you all rock!!

rock on!!

Why thanks mate .....we do our best...

PremierD
19th February, 2010, 05:19 PM
Hi Guys,

wasn't sure which section to put this in but though it helps with removel of chips for airbag/ecu/tacho chip so stuck it here.

Anyway, i don't have a desolder station (yet), to remove an 8 pin SOIC i flood the legs with solder, put iron on one side and lift the chip, then repeat for the other side.

I come across the following website and was wondering if anyone has tried this product,

Yes mate it is a good solution .... Better one, if you have some hot air as well..

YouTube- SMD Removal using a Chip Quik kit

This the Video mate ..?

u.s
19th February, 2010, 05:35 PM
thanks guys, i've seen the videos, just wanted to hear from anyone who has used the product.

BeianM
20th February, 2010, 05:44 PM
thanks guys, i've seen the videos, just wanted to hear from anyone who has used the product.

Yes I can confirm as a complete newbie to this sort of thing that chipquik works well. I put my board on a hot plate & used chipquik the chip comes off no prob & the board cleans up as new. As I didn't have any tools or flux etc. I bought their starter kit, I thought this was an ok buy for $115 as CPC wanted around ?18 to deliver 1 stick with flux.
It did however take them seven days to get the kit together & advise me it was shipping. So I waited around two weeks for it to ship to the UK.

morito
20th February, 2010, 09:19 PM
hi

I works whit this and very useful, not need very hot chip,

good item

regards

zilog357
21st February, 2010, 03:40 AM
I have used it for about 8 years here in the USA. It is perfect, but save it for really big works, like bigger chips. Since it is so expensive, I still flood the 8-Pin SOIC chips with common solder as you mentioned and do the bigger ones with ChipQuick.

It costs here about US $25 for an 8 inch piece, which will only desolder several chips.

What makes it so good is that it keeps the heat and stay molten for about 8-10 times more time than common solder, giving you the chance to apply to all leads quickly and still have time to pull it up before it hardens back.

This have always make me wonder of what kind of alloy it uses. I used to think that one of the elements used is Mercury, but haven't done any investigation about it.

One last thing, always keep it sealed from air, as long exposure to air will oxidize it very quickly and once this happens it turns to dust. You know it starts oxidizing if it breaks instead of bending with the slightest force.

Regards

cjawahir
21st February, 2010, 04:06 AM
bismuth (the primary component responsible for the low melting point.

Bismuth must be clean off properly from the chip, before soldering back chip with fresh solder .

best thing invented yet .

cj

zilog357
22nd February, 2010, 05:12 AM
bismuth (the primary component responsible for the low melting point.

Bismuth must be clean off properly from the chip, before soldering back chip with fresh solder .

best thing invented yet .

cj

Thanks for that information! And yes, I agree, the best thing until now.

rsivan
5th July, 2010, 06:35 PM
I'm using too from 2005 and very good but only need on large chip you want to preserve from hot
at end very good product I'm very expert on all solders
I got online from digikey USA here in italy for people interested

Zmann
9th July, 2010, 02:53 AM
Unfortunately, I cannot afford Chip quick but hopefully my own formulated low-temp soldering lead should work similarly. Bismuth metal is melting mixed 1:1 to the conventional 60/40 SnPb lead and arrange it hardening to form small pellets. The indirect melting temp. measurement showed me that it melt down at the temp. of the beginning of 100 C, low enough!. The formed pellets are small enough to be simply cut by a side cutting plier into several little pieces as desired and put them down to the place with some drop of flux applied. I found that the good point of my product is it can be used as much as need without scare of the cost shock as long as you could get the Bismuth at the right price.

cjawahir
9th July, 2010, 03:01 AM
Unfortunately, I cannot afford Chip quick but hopefully my own formulated low-temp soldering lead should work similarly. Bismuth metal is melting mixed 1:1 to the conventional 60/40 SnPb lead and arrange it hardening to form small pellets. The indirect melting temp. measurement showed me that it melt down at the temp. of the beginning of 100 C, low enough!. The formed pellets are small enough to be simply cut by a side cutting plier into several little pieces as desired and put them down to the place with some drop of flux applied. I found that the good point of my product is it can be used as much as need without scare of the cost shock as long as you could get the Bismuth at the right price.

and where do you get this bismuth metal ?

and can you make the pillet with solder and bismuth ?

cj

Zmann
9th July, 2010, 03:22 AM
ebay quite long ago but prices now quite vary.

I think you used 60/40 SnPb lead wire, that one. Cheaper you get 60/40 bar without built-in flux

Barry543
15th July, 2010, 10:51 AM
IIn the UK you can get a low melt solder used for soldering white metal castings on models. I used Carr?s 70 low temperature solder, available from model shops and online for around 3 or 4 Pounds. It melts at 70c and contains bismuth so I assume it is similar to QuickChip. Applying a flux pen first, I then used a 15 watt soldering iron to flood all the pins with the solder on a quad 28 pin device (TMS370) and it just lifted off, amazing. Clean all the pads up and then resolder with normal solder

jojo1212
16th August, 2010, 03:48 PM
my friend uses it , and he says its very good

swat cat
25th August, 2010, 11:46 AM
this is good?

2.5 TROY oz Bismuth Bullion Ingot Bars 99.9% FAST SHIP - eBay (item 320575430198 end time Sep-12-10 07:21:17 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/2-5-TROY-oz-Bismuth-Bullion-Ingot-Bars-99-9-FAST-SHIP-/320575430198?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0)

Zmann
26th August, 2010, 04:58 PM
It should be ok, it has the same impurity to the one i bought but in cone shape.

If you bought it and made your own low temp solder, please share your experience.

KenshinPT
26th August, 2010, 05:00 PM
This product is brutal =)

Zmann
26th August, 2010, 05:11 PM
What do you mean this product is brutal

madaxe
1st September, 2010, 12:08 AM
I use it too, and it works well, espceically for QFP packages. However, the gasses coming off it are really not good, so be sure not to breath the fumes.

gtmech
3rd September, 2010, 02:19 PM
Hi Guys,

Its good but to small for the money it costs

Buy a whole pot of it which will last for ever fro about $25USD.
I got mine from here: BGA Reballing and IC direct from China (Mainland) (http://bells.en.alibaba.com/productgrouplist-200056849/BGA_Reballing_and_IC.html)

Works very well!

cjawahir
3rd September, 2010, 02:28 PM
Its good but to small for the money it costs

Buy a whole pot of it which will last for ever fro about $25USD.
I got mine from here: BGA Reballing and IC direct from China (Mainland) (http://bells.en.alibaba.com/productgrouplist-200056849/BGA_Reballing_and_IC.html)

Works very well!

so the solder ball is the low melt solder like chipquick ?

cj

gtmech
4th September, 2010, 09:10 AM
so the solder ball is the low melt solder like chipquick ?

cj

Sorry buddy, dont know, i dont have that stuff, i was referring to pot of solder flux as seen here, thats what i use

soldering flux - Detailed info for soldering flux,soldering flux,soldering flux, on Alibaba.com (http://bells.en.alibaba.com/product/309348599-200056849/soldering_flux.html)

taiajam
14th September, 2010, 04:18 PM
looks like good stuff

shumo7722
22nd September, 2010, 04:18 AM
always used chip quik one of the best. fast and easy. works like a charm.

albertros
22nd September, 2010, 08:11 AM
Hi,
try CPC in UK.

cqae
28th September, 2010, 03:20 AM
chipquik works well I agree, but the cost is an issue, but it gets the job done, I only use it on larger chips but am still a beginner so only used it a few times.
anyone tried infra red stations?

bazaa
5th November, 2010, 09:45 PM
If you want to try Chip Quik for free
order their sample kit you get about a 3" lenght of ChipQuik and some no clean flux paste.
who say's you get cant get somethng for nothing !
on the form just tell them you are in the electronic repair industry
CHIP QUIK Free Samples (http://www.chipquikinc.com/free.html)

gizmo666
8th November, 2010, 08:05 PM
this is really good stuff if you need to desolder plcc ic or something like that,i have use it couple years now;)

electromech
13th January, 2013, 06:02 PM
Just bought me the complete kit (NOT CHEAP!!!!!) but for me that knows very little about electronics its amazing!!!!! Pulled off a 84pin smd in under a minute ..WITH NO PADS LIFTED ....so far so good I am loving this product

whiskeyman
13th January, 2013, 07:19 PM
really good stuff

defiantly saves lifting pads
bit of a mess to clean up but no problem

smokinjoe
14th January, 2013, 03:43 AM
any tips out there for a good and clean method of resoldering these components once removed,gel,paste,flux used for example as i'd like to get some practice on some old pcb's.

ruwi
17th January, 2013, 10:06 PM
ChipQuick is good, for learners that is...

I find it much easier, quicker, safer and cheaper to go down the traditional route of using flux, a can of IPA (to clean residue), solder braid and either infrared or hot air tools (depending on the application).

If any of you would like to try this method, Kingbo RMA-218 flux has done wonders for me, it's a mildly active rosin flux that is a breeze to work with, and at $12 for a tub of 100 grams, it lasts. I have tried all the expensive (GENUINE) Amtech fluxes, but Kingbo was somehow much better for the desoldering process.

If any of you need any further details on the processes involved, feel free to pm me.

jp_olli
12th February, 2013, 07:45 AM
ChipQuick is good, for learners that is...

I find it much easier, quicker, safer and cheaper to go down the traditional route of using flux, a can of IPA (to clean residue), solder braid and either infrared or hot air tools (depending on the application).

If any of you would like to try this method, Kingbo RMA-218 flux has done wonders for me, it's a mildly active rosin flux that is a breeze to work with, and at $12 for a tub of 100 grams, it lasts. I have tried all the expensive (GENUINE) Amtech fluxes, but Kingbo was somehow much better for the desoldering process.

If any of you need any further details on the processes involved, feel free to pm me.

Hot air station, preheater plate and tweezers. Fast results without any mess. :)

912secured
14th February, 2013, 07:45 AM
Get a cheap low melt workstation 130 us. Use lowmelting solder for everything untill you hit the 112 116's pins. Then chip quik. Saves money. Makes saabs twice easy just put on all around in a circle let it blow and pull towards you clean with wick. Apply solder over all the pins with light flux heat up and lay down. Line up and let cool all good lees than half hour from pulling out and finish as long as you have a 05 programmer with a closeable clamp programmer. (took off of ak400 and put on xprog-m it was a buck fifty plus shipping adaptor cost 129 from electronic suppliers also came with a nec)

912secured
14th February, 2013, 07:46 AM
Make sure you run 12 to 15 volt supply when reading 05's on clone xprog m's (metal box,plastic sucks) even if you buy the software update.

AudiS4
25th April, 2013, 04:03 AM
I have used it its a good product but some say its more toxic than regular solder.Other than that it does whats its supposed to even though it is a mess to clean up.

drivesure
29th April, 2013, 08:11 PM
the two minutes you save to take off the chip is wasted when cleaning this product off the board. bought some and so far just use the flux from the kit. it works but not worth 3 pages of cheers..

siyadk
20th June, 2013, 09:49 PM
how many mcu can be removed from single syringe solution?? any approximate idea

PierreTheron
20th June, 2013, 10:30 PM
Mate no need chip quick if you are skilled ..
Get correct flux for your job .. any one you like . but please wash it off with acetone or isopropyl ..

Regards

912secured
23rd June, 2013, 09:09 PM
isoprop is heat in the red can if you want no water in it. Some pharmacies sell up to 96, hospital supplies have 99.9 but pricy. Pierre is right it cleans it up good. Acetone messes up alot of multilayer boards and components I stay away from it for this use.

Low melt by Zephyrtronics is good if you have a steady hand and skill.